What was your first "wow" moment

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lord Innit

Re: What was your first "wow" moment

Post by Lord Innit » Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't remember my first but one I remember was tumbleing down the mountainside in Strider on the Megadrive.For some reason the background gave it a kind of depth that I'd never seen before.
When I see it now though, the illusion evades me.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Wed May 18, 2011 7:15 am

The Mode Seven majesty of F-Zero on the SNES
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am

GTA III for the PS3, playing it over my friends house at a sleepover 10 years ago.....it was for me the ultimate sandbox. And i've been addicted ever since....

guv859

Post by guv859 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:54 pm

The first definite "wow" moment I had was seeing Formula One for PS running in demo mode in Hull's Electronic's Boutique window in 1996. Previous to that, I was a Mega Drive and SNES gamer when I visited a mate and he had an Amiga with various games. It's too long ago to remember what any of them were, but I remember how much more advanced - and how much more mature - they were to my 16-bit titles. Anyway, when I saw Formula One I had a Saturn and hoped it would be ported over but, of course, it wasn't. About six months later, I had a Playstation and F1 and while it still looked (and played) great, it wasn't quite as stunning as it had seemed all those months earlier. I remember Turok Dinosaur Hunter being the first game that I was genuinely impressed by, visually, when I got an N64. I still love the atmosphere of that game, the mist and the drums a-bangin'.
Bye

William S

Post by William S » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Seeing the intro to Monkey Island 2 for the first time, on an Amiga hooked up to a big stereo system. WOW!
The PC version was nowhere near the Amiga version when it came to the music.
ImageImageImage

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga was brilliant.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 am

Budly Moore wrote:Pong, the realisation that I could control something on the TV, it was like magic.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It was around 1977, and my dad brought home this machine that plugged into the telly... I was addicted ever since then, it was a real "wow" moment and one I'm glad I remember so well.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Having grown up playing on an Acorn Electron, the Amiga seemed like a massive step forward - something akin to going directly from a PSone to a PS3 to put it in a modern context. All the games I played that first Christmas seemed amazing, but Shadow Of The Beast 2 was the game that really looked like it was running on £500 worth of cutting edge hardware. Having been used to playing platformers like Killer Gorilla and Boffin, a game with full 8-way scrolling, parallax backgrounds, gorgoeous hand-drawn graphics and a fully animated intro was the stuff of dreams.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Wed May 25, 2011 10:00 am

How could I forget Real Racing Roots '99, aka Ridge Racer Type 4.

I remember reading the import review in Arcade Magazine of the JAP version and saw it in GameStation for £60 a bit later. Although it cost nearly half what I paid for the PS1 I bought it, load it up at home and what I saw for the first time blew me away - a true arcade quality game in my living room.
High resolution graphics, Gourard Shading and a terrific sound track. I didn't think it was possible on the Playstation.

Probably the only PS1 game I still play regularly today.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm a nostalgic, sentimental sap -- so I am lovin' this thread. Thanks for sharing all your stories. :)

I have had a lot of “wow!!” moments in gaming, but my first would have to be my 4-years-old birthday, when my grandparents got me the Nintendo Entertainment System. The moment I opened it, they immediately started hooking it up to a television (right on the dining room table!!), and I was utterly mesmerized… I had no idea what was going on. I had watched TV and movies before, sure, so was this gray box like some sort of weird VCR thing? They shoved a cartridge in, turned it on, thrust a controller in my hand… and I was hooked on Super Mario Bros. Then they put a gun in my hand and I was blowin’ Duck Hunt away. My life was significantly altered from that point forward.

Other notable “wow!!” moments for me, personally:

1) Crystalis, on the NES – Yeah, it’s a fine game, but not even a five-star title or among my all-time favorites. So why is this a significant “wow!!” moment for me? Because Crystalis was the first game that I had bought, on my own, on a whim, only to take it home and discover that it was really, genuinely good. It was the first time I had gotten a game that wasn’t mainstream, wasn’t something a magazine or commercial had told me to buy, and I deeply enjoyed. This really opened my eyes to realize that there was an entire, “hidden” world of gaming gems out there, and I wanted to find and experience them.

2) StarTropics on the NES – Now this, this might be my favorite video game of all time. I won’t spend a thousand words explaining why, but suffice to say: This was the game that taught me what the word “immersive” meant.

3) Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis – My best friend Joe lived right across the street, and he too was a gamer. We both had NES, and I had SNES, and he went the Sega Genesis route. So one day he calls me on the phone and, in hushed tones, is telling me about this bloody, violent “fighting game” where you can tear someone’s head off or rip their heart out of their chest. I gingerly crossed the street, like playing this game was some sort of clandestine mission I had to keep secret from my parents. I enjoyed it okay (the sequels, obviously, were much better), but it was definitely an eye-opening experience, and made me realize that video games were going to be a significant cultural, political force on the world landscape.

4) Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on the SNES – My age is at a weird point in gaming. You see, when I was too young to really appreciate RPGs, the only console I had was the NES. So my impression of RPGs was stuff like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy – awesome games (I adore FF now), but I didn’t understand them, didn’t have the patience for them. So I completely put off RPG games, ignored them 100%. Now fast-forward a few years, and I’m a big Mario/Nintendo fanboy, and this very different looking/playing Mario game comes out on SNES… and it’s turn-based combat with experience points, incremental item upgrades, and NPCs. It was perfect timing, because I loved it.

5) Resident Evil on the PlayStation – First video game that legitimately frightened me. Another one of Joe’s, haha.

6) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – You know that “Super Mario 64” moment a lot of you described, where you experience 3D gaming for the first time, with one of your most beloved characters, in a genuinely great game? I played Ocarina even before I touched Super Mario 64, as my first 3D gaming experience. Need I say more?

Honorable mentions: Pokemon Blue on Game Boy (first time seeking out other Pokemon players for trades and battles), Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Super Smash Bros. on N64 (first titles I played in competitive gaming tournaments for, fun time in my gaming life), F-Zero X on N64 (like previously mentioned, “whoa”-level speed), and Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES (first game I distinctly remember talking to people about before it was released – and not only the hype, but the cartridge totally living up to it).
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Hmm... Two really spring to mind:

1) Being about 4 years old and seeing the Star Wars arcade game (cockpit) at the local ten-pin bowling centre. I remember being blown away by the fact you could virtually fly and shoot (and I hadn't even seen any of the Star Wars movies at that point). I wasn't allowed to actually play the game, but remember constantly wanting to sit in the cockpit and each time being dragged away to go be with my parents.

2) After playing a hell of a lot of Wolfenstein 3D, in 1993-94 a mate said he had something better. Thinking nothing could beat Wolf, I went around to this guy's place and he showed me Doom - that really was a jaw dropping moment. I specifically remember basically staring at the texture of faces/souls moving on one of the walls. I didn't care about the game play at that time - I was just blown away by the graphics and the fact you could climb up steps etc.

Since then though, although I've played some great games, nothing has really "wowed" me like that. Maybe it's just because I was a kid and was easily impressed :wink:
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Easy!!

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 am

I'd been playing games for years by this point, but getting chased by the whale in the first stage of Sonic Adventure on my lovely, packaging-scented Dreamcast was a whole new level of videogame experience for me. Every other generational shift had been taken in stride and everything had been fully expected by the time I got to play them.

A few years later, seeing a demonstration video of Halo split-screen co-op where one guy distracted an Elite while his buddy snuck up the other side of the building and meleed him in the back stunned me, too.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 am

there is enough good stuff here for an article in the mag I reckon . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:12 am

Impossible to pick just one, I can't really remember a first either :(

1. The intro to Link's Awakening. This blew my mind and stood head and shoulders above anything I'd seen on a Game Boy screen.

2. Seeing a kid playing on a traditional grey Game Boy but with a Red game cartridge inserted, think he got it whilst in America. A year later Pokemon hit the UK and it all made sense.

3. Watching friends play Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation, my only console was a Game Boy Color at the time. Still one of the coolest games ever made, I was in awe and had a lot of fun watching them play it. I made them watch me play Half Life at my house, that was fun :lol:

4. A kid in school playing GBA in the week it launched. Tony Hawks 2 looked amazing....in direct sunlight lulz.

4. Playing a copied version of GTA 3 on my pentium 3. It stuttered but Liberty City demonstrated the wonders of 3D sandbox gaming.