What was your first "wow" moment

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Neilos626

What was your first "wow" moment

Post by Neilos626 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:09 pm

My first taste of gaming was during the 80s when I got a Speccy, however it wasn't until the 90s that a game made my jaw drop.

That game was Zelda a link to the past. Went round my mates after school to have a look at this new fangled Super Famicom watsit that he had just bought. First game he powered up was Zelda and it was no less than awesome, the intro was a thing of beauty, the music the rain setting the atmosphere nicely. I went straight home and pestered my parents into submision ensuring that a SNES sat under the tree the following xmas.

Special mention also goes to virtua racing, playing it for the first time in the arcade and driving past the ferris wheel was so cool.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

snowkatt

Re: What was your first "wow" moment

Post by snowkatt » Sun May 15, 2011 3:14 pm

mario 64
booting it up and realising i could go every where
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun May 15, 2011 3:46 pm

Knight Lore.... simply incredible for it's time.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Sun May 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Pong, the realisation that I could control something on the TV, it was like magic.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun May 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Playing Sensible Soccer on my brothers Atari ST, until then all the other football games were horrible clunky things, but Sensi was pure beauty!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sun May 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Firstly 'Arrow Flash' on my mate's new Megadrive, having only been used to 8-bit micros up to then. By the time we got on to playing Sonic, Mercs, and Revenge of Shinobi I just could not believe what I was seeing in somebody's front room.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun May 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Seeing Star Wars (Atari) and Dragon's Lair in the arcades.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:35 pm

My banner may give you a clue! :P

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun May 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I think it was when I first heard the theme tune of "Flying Feathers", a game by Bubble Bus on the Commodore 64.

Yes, I know it's a pretty meagre thing to go "wow" about, and certainly I'd love to be able to point at something like the emergence of Mario 64 and demonstrate my prescience of video gaming history unfolding in front of my very eyes. But I can't. The fact is that as a 7-year-old, having basically spent much of the time with my new wonder toy doing laborious type-ins to get the thing to display a Union Flag or a little three-colour expanded sprite of a strawberry on the screen, hearing this theme tune, all glorious 3-channels of it, was a real eye-opener (should that be ear-opener?). It didn't matter that the game was an exercise in tedium alleviated only by the occasional crossing of the screen by an either motorised or flatulent duck to indicate that you'd got an extra "fish" - the tune along was worth the loading time.

Of course, it wasn't long before the budget games of Mastertronic made the name of Rob Hubbard famous and that little tune seems pretty naive in comparison. But the moment still stays in my memory, nearly 30 years later ...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun May 15, 2011 4:59 pm

ipmarks wrote:Knight Lore.... simply incredible for it's time.
SNAP!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Loading up Ridge Racer on the PS1.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun May 15, 2011 5:44 pm

There have been a few over the years but I think the biggest one was STUN Runner on the Lynx, simply unbelievable. A handheld doing a game that no other machine of the age could handle.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun May 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Playing the original Tomb Raider on the PlayStation at my neighbour's house. Was quite a leap forward from the NES games that I was used to playing!

club

Post by club » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Seeing Star Wars (Atari) in the arcades.
Seconded! Obi-Wan instructing a four-year old me to use the force was mind-blowing.
Honourable mentions to Starblade in the arcades, Doom, F-Zero on the SNES, Batman on the NES, and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on the GBA (a SNES... in my hand!)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun May 15, 2011 6:10 pm

T-Rex coming straight at me! in 3D monster maze on ZX81-For a system who's graphics usually consisted of letters and numbers, this was utterly amazing. 1st Killer App i'd set eyes on.