Modern Warfare 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Space_turnip

Re: Modern Warfare 3

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Joey wrote:Enjoying the single player more than I thought, the fight in New York is very well done.

Also the multiplayer seems alot more balanced than MW2's kill streak fest.
Meh...I'm finding the game online to be a step backwards at the moment. It all seems very floaty and the maps seem to be Pac-man like mazes rather than proper FPS maps. Am liking the weapon xp, and some of the new modes are excellent (Team Defender is a joy to play), and the Single player (from the little I've played) is great.

Still think Black Ops is the best COD online since the original though. And the call of Uncharted 3 might mean MW3 gets pushed back behind Skyrim.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Started campaign mode, it's Call of duty alright! Spectacle is great as ever, will try to give online a proper go on this version and see how it goes!

Badly!

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:23 am

Finished the campaign earlier, just under 6 hours.. shortest so far of the series that I can think of. Played a little of special ops, seems fun and improved from MW2, some nice leveling systems etc.. I'll prob re-sell this in a few days as the multiplayer mode I'm not really interested in.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:41 am

Churn baby churn.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:48 am

Dam wrote:£29.99 at Best Buy instore today only. They were selling a few copies online for £27.99 but they've all gone now. I'm hoping I got one at that price, it checked out ok but I haven't got e-mail confirmation yet....
Went to Best Buy yesterday at 11am as I was tempted at this price - completely sold out!

So I didn't bother and played 'Battlefield: Bad Company 2' instead when I got home in the evening (the best online FPS shooter I've played so far...)

Dam

Post by Dam » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am

batman877 wrote:
Dam wrote:£29.99 at Best Buy instore today only. They were selling a few copies online for £27.99 but they've all gone now. I'm hoping I got one at that price, it checked out ok but I haven't got e-mail confirmation yet....
Went to Best Buy yesterday at 11am as I was tempted at this price - completely sold out!

So I didn't bother and played 'Battlefield: Bad Company 2' instead when I got home in the evening (the best online FPS shooter I've played so far...)
Oh sorry to hear that. You will probably be even more annoyed to hear that I got my £27.99 copy through the post this morning!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Got it last night from Ealing GAME for 35 quid (had a tenner on my GAME card.)

My wonderful missus stayed out of my way for the evening and didn't wince when I shouted hooray or bast*rds at various points in the campaign.

I was even gracious enough to stop playing and go buy pizza from dominoes for us both!

Finished it off last night in about 5 hours? Prob less due to the pizza stop?

Absolutely loved it, disliked one or two story options they took which I won't spoil here but thoroughly enjoyed it, and the online is much more balanced....though spec ops is brick still!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh I like me some pizza.. :3
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

finished it in 4hrs 39mins with just over half the intel on normal,it seemed easier than the earlier games on single player.online i only got to play 2 games of deathmatch so can't give a verdict on that yet,i will say that i kept losing lobby connection so the usual release problems with a cod game.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm

The game is only £25 on Tesco's website if you buy it with a PSN/XBLA points card. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Not just from the website. You can get it in store for £25 if you also buy some XBLA points, it's a great deal.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Played the campaign mode yesterday and already been blown away by it. Brilliant set pieces as I came across buildings destroyed and falling to pieces in Black Tuesday and Hunter Killer mission. The plane crash sequence in Turbulence was incredible as it create that disorientation to defined the realism. Really enjoyed the UGV too as this new gadget felt like a remote-control tank and had so much fun with it. Nearly finish clearing Act I.

Plus I haven't got around playing the online multiplayer yet. Will be interested to see who's up for some Team Deathmatch.
DreamcastRIP wrote:The game is only £25 on Tesco's website if you buy it with a PSN/XBLA points card. :D
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Not just from the website. You can get it in store for £25 if you also buy some XBLA points, it's a great deal.
That's the exact deal they'd done with Call of Duty: Black Ops last year.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:04 am

Hitman_HalStep wrote:finished it in 4hrs 39mins
Game's a single day rental for me then. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I gotta say I dont really understand the hate for this game other then for it's popularity. I been really enjoying the COD series from version 2, one of its best traits is the easy pick up and play nature, it has an old skool mentality to playabillity which is very appealing. That said, the MP portion feels too familiar, maybe the introduction of vehicles to spruce it up? Maybe that'd ruin the close quarter nature of the maps though.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Finished off the campaign today on hardened and I must say it was utterly brilliant fun! The story and characters weren't as good this time round, the narrative was friggin confusing and it all seemed like an excuse to go globe-trotting.

The best part about the last one was watching yourself get betrayed and killed (albeit a little TOO much).

Though I can't complain as all the set-pieces were jaw dropping. Really cool.

Now I have Spec Ops, Survival and a Veteran playthrough to keep me entertained :)