Modern Warfare 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Modern Warfare 3

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 pm

You can mute players and it only takes a second.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:You can mute players and it only takes a second.

I shouldn't really have to mute people who are being rude - just don't be rude - but perhaps i'm a bit old fashioned that way.
Into the Wonderful

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Britpop95 wrote:

I shouldn't really have to mute people who are being rude - just don't be rude - but perhaps i'm a bit old fashioned that way.
Good manners cost nothing. Thats something thats been lost on the latest generations if you ask me. Basic good manners.

Eat your nans pants

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Britpop95 wrote:

Agree completely. The game was designed with comms in mind but the players ruined it. I can't believe any one who had played cod on line hasn't been bugged by abuse. It ruined mw2 for me.

Haven't seen it at retail.anywhere near £25 not seen it under £40. Not saying its not good value just that its a lot of money. Which it is. Or at least it is to me.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Modern Warfare 3 selling great in... Japan

Modern Warfare 3 has been a smash hit at retailers, making an outrageous $775 million in less than a week. That's not exactly surprising, but what is surprising is the game's success in Japan.

Japanese sales figures for the time period from November 14th through November 20th have been posted at Andriasang, and the results are rather fascinating. Modern Warfare 3, which is published by Square Enix in Japan, sold 180,372 units on PlayStation 3 in its first week on the market there. Supplement that sum with the 30,467 units sold on Xbox 360, and you have an impressive combined first week sales of 210,839.

What's most surprising about this isn't necessarily that Modern Warfare 3 sold better than anything else in Japan last week (as Andriasang points out, Black Ops had impressive numbers last year, too), but that it sold over three times more than Ni No Kuni, the new Level-5 PS3-exclusive RPG that people have been anticipating.

IGN

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:19 pm

When I play this with my two good mates we mic-up and then just mute everybody else so we don't give a crap, and just talk normally like we're on the telephone.

Avoids all the children who shouldn't have the game and rude chav-types who's English skills are more lacking then those with English as a second language.

Still enjoying it online, I'm 72 now so quite close to Prestige which is nice, still got a way to go on spec ops but I'm 59.2% complete!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:20 pm

A global juggernaut that shows no sign of slowing, will be the top game for many years to come.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:07 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:A global juggernaut that shows no sign of slowing, will be the top game for many years to come.
It's selling very well.... Great cash cow. Years to come? I'm not so sure.. either activision will get greedy or people will get bored..... Remember everyone wanted deliboppers once...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:08 am

slacey1070 wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:A global juggernaut that shows no sign of slowing, will be the top game for many years to come.
It's selling very well.... Great cash cow. Years to come? I'm not so sure.. either activision will get greedy or people will get bored..... Remember everyone wanted deliboppers once...
Ex Infinity Ward staff/Activision Court case due to start in 2012. :lol:

Methinks there's going to be trouble, as 'ol Bobby Kotick has already said Call of Duty and Guitar Hero make up about 75% of their total revenue (discounting World of Warcraft, which is Blizzard) and look how they completely destroyed the Guitar Hero franchise by excessively milking it as much as possible as quickly as possible. If Activision lose their case and get Modern Warfare "given back to its rightful franchise owners" then they're toast. Think of all the extra unpaid royalties they'd be liable to be sued for. Plus punitive damages... :?

Remember, he's already sacked about 500 people in anticipation of downscaling the amount of product he vomits out onto the shelves. I think he's putting all his eggs into the subscription-based Call of Duty multiplayer content. Hell, it works for Blizzard! They make about a billion dollars a year through subs alone! :shock:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:23 am

Freestyler wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:
Ex Infinity Ward staff/Activision Court case due to start in 2012. :lol:

Methinks there's going to be trouble, as 'ol Bobby Kotick has already said Call of Duty and Guitar Hero make up about 75% of their total revenue (discounting World of Warcraft, which is Blizzard) and look how they completely destroyed the Guitar Hero franchise by excessively milking it as much as possible as quickly as possible. If Activision lose their case and get Modern Warfare "given back to its rightful franchise owners" then they're toast. Think of all the extra unpaid royalties they'd be liable to be sued for. Plus punitive damages... :?

Remember, he's already sacked about 500 people in anticipation of downscaling the amount of product he vomits out onto the shelves. I think he's putting all his eggs into the subscription-based Call of Duty multiplayer content. Hell, it works for Blizzard! They make about a billion dollars a year through subs alone! :shock:
Am surprised no one has dipped a toe on subscription gaming on console yet - and I wonder how well a sub CoD would do. I have the last 3, not sure about this years yet, but I'd not play it enough to subscribe. However I'm sure many on here would get enough out of it to cough up £10 a month to play . . . .

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Am surprised no one has dipped a toe on subscription gaming on console yet - and I wonder how well a sub CoD would do. I have the last 3, not sure about this years yet, but I'd not play it enough to subscribe. However I'm sure many on here would get enough out of it to cough up £10 a month to play . . . .
Without trying to derail the thread I'm also surprised somebody like Microsoft hasn't thought about this as well. A tenner a month for complete access to every game on Xbox Live/Indie? I'd probably give it ago. As long as they kept the option to buy the games outright (at a reduced rate if you had an existing subscription) then it'd be a good move. There are hundreds of Live Arcade games by now.

Microsoft need to take the next step. Maybe with Xbox 720...
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am

Some more good games (mostly wins) with THL last night

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:57 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
Am surprised no one has dipped a toe on subscription gaming on console yet -
I think DC Universe online and X-Men Destiny were both sub based on consoles.

Both did poorly.

CoD would do very well with a subscription. Just look how well CoD Elite has done, even though most people have paid upfront by buying the Hardened edition of the game, they are willing to spend the extra.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Anybody prestiged yet?

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 am

Joey wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:
Am surprised no one has dipped a toe on subscription gaming on console yet -
I think DC Universe online and X-Men Destiny were both sub based on consoles.

Both did poorly.

CoD would do very well with a subscription. Just look how well CoD Elite has done, even though most people have paid upfront by buying the Hardened edition of the game, they are willing to spend the extra.
FF11 on PS2 also (or was it Xbox?)
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee