Modern Warfare 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

James A

Re: Modern Warfare 3

Post by James A » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Just tore through the veteran runthrough on this in 6 hours. Either im getting better on this or they've toned down the difficulty on this quite a bit compared to something like COD 3

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:10 am

Played some Team Deathmatch tonight, never felt so intimidated/out of my depth, will have a few more goes and see if it gets any easier.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 am

A few of my mates are playing this. Well, I say playing. It's more like a second job. As a farmer.
In this case it's the worst kind of same-map-for-XP-farming since MW2. I swear if standing on the spot and jumping repeatedly in place gave good XP then 95% of the playerbase would be doing that instead. For hours on end.

Variety. Please.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Joey wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I'm starting to dislike the online ever so slightly, its really nicely done but it feels like everybody is an expert at this game and I'm playing terribly. I physically can't do killstreaks so im stuck with the pointstreak packages (where I only like 3 or 4 of the options) and the one level I really like NEVER gets circulated on the bloody playlists :( I'm getting sick of the 3 maps I keep getting!
Are you just playing one game type? That can usually be a problem to why you are getting the same maps.

The support package does include offensive kill streaks such as the remote sentry and stealth bomber. It's easy to get both of these twice in the same match if you are playing something like domination.

Also, has anyone come across a Shipment/Rust/Nuketown style small map yet? I love playing those and haven't seen one.
Yeah I changed play modes a bit and it didn't help much however the game has been much nicer to me and giving me the map i want *coughUndergroundcough* (hey I work there so I love it!) managed to get gold camo for my MP5 now and I'm going through a few other weapons, found I've levelled quite swiftly which is nice but still not TOOO fast!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Beat it on Vet today with all the intel collected, just as fun a second time round.

Now to turn my eye to the Spec Ops....

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Joey wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:I'm starting to dislike the online ever so slightly, its really nicely done but it feels like everybody is an expert at this game and I'm playing terribly. I physically can't do killstreaks so im stuck with the pointstreak packages (where I only like 3 or 4 of the options) and the one level I really like NEVER gets circulated on the bloody playlists :( I'm getting sick of the 3 maps I keep getting!
Are you just playing one game type? That can usually be a problem to why you are getting the same maps.

The support package does include offensive kill streaks such as the remote sentry and stealth bomber. It's easy to get both of these twice in the same match if you are playing something like domination.

Also, has anyone come across a Shipment/Rust/Nuketown style small map yet? I love playing those and haven't seen one.
Yeah I changed play modes a bit and it didn't help much however the game has been much nicer to me and giving me the map i want *coughUndergroundcough* (hey I work there so I love it!) managed to get gold camo for my MP5 now and I'm going through a few other weapons, found I've levelled quite swiftly which is nice but still not TOOO fast!
If you're playing Pointstreak, the way I've got it set at the moment is Advanced UAV > Stealth Bomber > Supported Airdrop. Scavenger (Pro if you can), Hardline & a launcher. You get points for bringing down UAV's/SG's/Helicopters so focus on that. Easily rack up points if you're not great at kills

Don't bother with the SAM Turret. It's good but kills from it don't lead to streaks.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm

I just find the list for poinstreaks a bit boring, all the fun stuff is on assault (which I'm terrible with)

However I have found doing Headquarters allows easy access to osprey with killstreaks (18 kills) from pointstreaks which is hellishly good fun.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Put a decent amount of hours into the online and I think it's much more in the style of the original Modern Warfare than MW2.

The killstreaks have been toned down greatly, there isn't the abuse of the noob tubes and launchers and I havent yet found a perk set up as game breaking as the dreaded MLC from MW2, the maps are also lacking all the multi-level buildings and vantage points that were in MW2.

Now I have got used to most of the maps I think they are excellent and definitely bring back memories of the COD4 maps. Found it very hard at first, much harder than MW2 or BO but got easier when I unlocked Assassin (to keep off the UAV's) and now I also have Dead Silence and a maxed out M4A1 im getting some good scores. The Kill Confirmed game mode is brilliant and I love the risk/reward element it brings.

Another online tour de force for MW - long may it continue!!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:17 pm

I am hoping for a few larger distance maps in map packs though, I am HORRIFIC when it comes to sniping, even worse when it's all cramped so could do with one or two maps that allow me to get somewhere with the L118A but alas.

Putting in some G36 time at the moment till I get my MP7 and have 3 starred a few of the Spec Ops missions co-op with my buddy, not doing so great with survival though, first map I got to wave 15 which i all I technically needed, was one wave off that on the Underground but we are TERRIBLE at the level 4 maps!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:17 am

Just had some great games online with THL - won 4 lost 1 and that was down to being stuck with 3 appalling clan players who were going 2-17 etc.

Really getting into the maps now, Interchange is my fave.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 am

My verdict on MW3 is that it's excellent, surprisingly excellent actually. I was at a point where I was losing interest in CoD as a franchise as they were all essentially rehashes of the previous installment but after completing MW3 on veteran (just under 7.5 hours for me) and then experiencing the online action - especially the addition of 'Kill Confirmed' - I have to give it a big thumbs up.

I will say though that the campaign ending, whilst sufficient, was a bit of an anti-climax and I could swear that the difficulty is dumbed down for each release as veteran was frighteningly easy but let's face it, the game is geared more towards multiplayer so I doubt Infinity Ward on this occasion( & Treyarch the next) will be losing much sleep over that.

It's a shame that trash talking and blatant team killing are so rife on Call of Duty because that ultimately has me reaching for the 'off' button a lot sooner than I would usually like but hey, Spec Ops is fun!
Into the Wonderful

thl

Post by thl » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:53 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Just had some great games online with THL - won 4 lost 1 and that was down to being stuck with 3 appalling clan players who were going 2-17 etc.

Really getting into the maps now, Interchange is my fave.
It was a great session we had as I'm continuing to work my way up the ranks. Yeah we did came across some rather weak players that haven't put much into the match. Think we both finished with the same amount of kills/deaths. The highlight has to be the Baakara map as we done really well by adapting to stealth. Plus the Support Package came in useful thanks to the Advanced UAV.

As for my favourite map, probably have to say Arkaden.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Britpop95 wrote:It's a shame that trash talking and blatant team killing are so rife on Call of Duty because that ultimately has me reaching for the 'off' button a lot sooner than I would usually like but hey, Spec Ops is fun!
That really spoils CoD unfortunately, 10 year olds shouting abuse - pathetic . . . so does the £46 price point - talk about taking the mick - with that and (say) 3 map packs, that game will cost you almost £80.

I bet next year will be pay to play too.

and it looks like BF3 will be charging for maps too - unlike BC2 where they were free . . .

Which leads me to think I'll go for Skyrim for Xmas and hope I can get bitten by the RPG bug (but not the vampires)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 pm

That really spoils CoD unfortunately, 10 year olds shouting abuse - pathetic . . . so does the £46 price point - talk about taking the mick - with that and (say) 3 map packs, that game will cost you almost £80.
I play COD online all the time and haven't found too many abusive 10yr olds, most of the players I encounter don't use the mic.

You do get trash talking but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make out and most of the "abuse" is usually via messages not headsets. It can be fun if you do get abuse, more so if it is beacuse you have killed some chav that much you have almost made him cry.

If you paid £46 you didnt shop around much, it cost me £25 and with the map packs it will be around £50, great value for a game that will be played all year.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:That really spoils CoD unfortunately, 10 year olds shouting abuse - pathetic . . . so does the £46 price point - talk about taking the mick - with that and (say) 3 map packs, that game will cost you almost £80.
I play COD online all the time and haven't found too many abusive 10yr olds, most of the players I encounter don't use the mic.

You do get trash talking but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people make out and most of the "abuse" is usually via messages not headsets. It can be fun if you do get abuse, more so if it is beacuse you have killed some chav that much you have almost made him cry.

If you paid £46 you didnt shop around much, it cost me £25 and with the map packs it will be around £50, great value for a game that will be played all year.
Well in my experiences the trash talking is on a regular basis to the extent of it being virtually every game.......and intentional team killing gets old pretty fast.

It's kind of related but a separate topic in itself but I have found that the activity of PS3 headset users over the past year has increased in a big, big way. A year ago and certainly 2 years ago it was a novelty to hear people pitching up with a mic but these days it can be as many as 75% in a lobby at once chirping away. One of my big arguments for favouring the PS3 in the past was the maturity of the online community but that has changed - unless it's just a Call of Duty thing of course.

I'll be honest, i've not been keeping an eye on the price changes on the current-gen systems over the last few years as i've already got both of the major consoles of this generation but i'd hazard a guess that the price of the PS3 has fallen spectacularly in order to generate more sales. Cheaper PS3 = more sales = younger userbase = more mics = more backchat/trash talking.
Into the Wonderful