Megadrive Collectors Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

daysleeper

Re: Megadrive Collectors Thread

Post by daysleeper » Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 pm

I really love the megadrive. I never had one as a kid, as I went from a master system to an Amiga 500, but one of my closest friends had one. I remember getting my ass whooped on Mortal Kombat and Fifa International Soccer. But then again, his face got smashed when we played Body Blows or Sensible Soccer :D

I guess I roughly have 5 or 6 boxed megadrive's, all with different box art and 435 games (mainly Pal)
Visit my videogame collection online at http://home.scarlet.be/gamevault

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sat May 14, 2011 6:50 am

Here's what's left of my old collection that I retrieved out of mum's loft. Used to have a load more, but remember chopping in about 20-odd games down the video shop back in the day (most of which I just saw again in Neilos626's pics - that's one impressive collection mate!)

http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 am

@ nelios

lovely stuff - the cardboard boxed games are very unusual.

Never heard of Cadash either - is that NTSC only?

(quick count of my collection came to about 70 games)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sat May 14, 2011 12:04 pm

felgekarp wrote:I wouldn't mind picking up Slap Fight for it, has anybody here played the Megadrive version, how does it hold up?
Good luck with that - goes for well over £100, that one!

My Megadrive collection is definitely one of my favourites. I've got 92 games at the moment including some quite desirable Japanese ones like Pulseman, Monster World IV and Treasure's Yu Yu Hakusho fighting game. I'll get some pics up in due course.

I'm also trying to complete a full collection of boxed Megadive shmups but have kind of hit the wall as I only have the expensive ones left to get like Twinkle Tale, Slap Fight, Divine Sealing, Eliminate Down and Gley Lancer. That's well over £500 worth of games there! :shock:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat May 14, 2011 12:09 pm

"Twinkle Tale, Slap Fight, Divine Sealing, Eliminate Down and Gley Lancer"

Never heard of any of them - that's the great thing about this forum - new stuff always turning up. Though I think I'll wait until I find them for 50p each at the next carboot! :lol:

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:28 pm

@ delbert_trout, thanks. I see a couple of games in your pic I don't have, do you want to sell them?

@ Timothy Lumsden, I'm pretty sure that Casdash was only released in JApan and the US although I may be wrong. It was also released on the PC Engine. Its a side scrolling slash em up similar to Magic Sword and Rastan.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat May 14, 2011 12:48 pm

witchfinder wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I wouldn't mind picking up Slap Fight for it, has anybody here played the Megadrive version, how does it hold up?
Good luck with that - goes for well over £100, that one!
There's a couple on ebay at the moment, I made an offer on one but the guy refused it and said he'd knock me 5 bucks off instead :lol: I'll get it at some point but I'd rather pay less than a hundred for it than more.
Splink!

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sat May 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I've had an MD for ages now, a great machine, now made so much better as I now have a 60hz modded version.

Have recently been on the racers - picked up Lotus (cart only), not a good as the Amiga Version, but still well worth the 99 p I paid for it :D

I am now in the middle of Road Rash, man I forgot how much I loved that game.

But there are so many great games out for it, and as been said before, it's not really too expensive to collect for as well.

The MD really gives a crisp & clear picture as well, and the pads just seem to be near perfect (even the 6 button that gets used for SF2).

Talking of SF2, the sound really does not do it any favours on the mega drive - very "croaky" sounding!!

I have around 50 games,which is more than enough for me really.

C0ward

Post by C0ward » Sat May 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I have about 40 Mega Drive games.I'm happy enough with what I have now. I'd like to get Probotector, Alien Soldier, Streets Of Rage 3 and a few others in time.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat May 14, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm moving onto the Mega Drive shooters after I finish my Master System collection (2 to go!).. got about 19 MD shmups so far though. Mix of jap, us and pal boxed. Have very few other MD games.. few Jap titles, Sonic, Golden Axe 3, Castle Of Illusion. I only bought my first MD about a year ago. Grew up on Nintendo.

robo2

Post by robo2 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
robo2 wrote:I've got around 250 boxed games for the megadrive and recently completed my collection with twinkle tale ad eliminate down
That is seriously impressive. Is that 250 Pal games?
nah mixed, buy to play so have american and jap games that were not released here

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Love the Mega Drive, the only console I've still got my original one of - it currently sits in the power guzzling MD/MCD/32X combo on my floor. Am actually going through all my games at the moment, as there were a lot that had gone unplayed for too long. Have about 200 ish games, which include the only significant amount of Japanese games I have for any system, all boxed, and am slowly buying more. Current favourites are Gunstar Heroes, Starflight (incredibly deep game), Brian Lara 96 (best Cricket game ever made surely), Sonic 2 and 3, Micro Machines 96 (still one of my favourite all time games) and Psycho Pinball.

6 button controllers for the MD, which I only picked up last year, are superb, and are right up there with my favourite controllers. I find collecting for the MD to be immensely satisfying: cheap games, loads of underated classics, great packaging, relatively easy to find Jap games, 2 add on's that are great to collect for too.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Neilos626 wrote:@ Timothy Lumsden, I'm pretty sure that Casdash was only released in JApan and the US although I may be wrong. It was also released on the PC Engine. Its a side scrolling slash em up similar to Magic Sword and Rastan.
Cadash did indeed come out in the US, I've got a tatty, bookless Genesis copy buried somewhere in my gaming hoard, the cover art is pretty nice. Excellent game, love those RPG-lite hack n' slashers. :)

PS: What's the game in the top right-hand corner on that Jap 4-in-1 pirate cartridge???

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm

its golden axe 2.

Glad to see so much megadrive love, it's underated and a great console to start collecting for and IMO the sexiest looking console ever when the
MD1 is paired with the MCD1.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

stonedwal

Post by stonedwal » Sat May 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Haven't done a whole lot of Mega Drive collecting lately. I had a list of about 120 games I wanted, but I think I wittled it down to about half of that. Haven't been able to buy much lately on account of money issues. Main things I want to do are get the good Disney games (Castle of Illusion, Aladdin etc.) for the missus to play (she only played Nintendo systems growing up), a couple of RPGs, all of Treasure's output and a few other bits and bobs.

On the slightly nuttier side of things, I'd like to replace a bunch of my godawful Sega Ozisoft blue manual monstrosities with prettier UK versions, and complete PAL/US/JP variant sets for Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage.