Megadrive Collectors Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

speedlolita

Re: Megadrive Collectors Thread

Post by speedlolita » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

ulala wrote:the jp megadrive is also a nice touch
Easily the best looking!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:01 am

ulala wrote:impressions of the everdrive?
Spot on, plays everything i've threw at it upto now including hacks & unreleased games :D i should have bought one sooner...

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nice one, you got a box with your one! And you didn't have to butcher another cartridge... Unless that's your own work, in which case, nice job :D
Na it was just the bare board i bought mate, got a brand new (crap) game for a couple of quid so just butchered it!
didnt take to long, just used a file to make the SD slot & drill for the MS pause button, then just printed the sleeve & label off, turned out a lot better than i thought it would, really happy with it :D
XFile2708 wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:The latest addition to the family :D
Nice one matey - what sort of price are they going for now?
it only worked out about £50-£51 including delivery :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:
ulala wrote:impressions of the everdrive?
Spot on, plays everything i've threw at it upto now including hacks & unreleased games :D i should have bought one sooner...
I haven't managed to get Virtua Racing or Robocod working, which is a bit of a bugger. Got no right to complain though, all those games on one cartridge!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I haven't managed to get Virtua Racing or Robocod working, which is a bit of a bugger. Got no right to complain though, all those games on one cartridge!
Im not surprised at virtua racing - doesn't it use another processing chip embedded in the cart?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:15 pm

yes the svp chip
only md cardridge with a add on chip like that and a hefty price tag because off it

to be honest i think the polygonal model 1 games of the 32x are more impressive just think those are model 1 games running on your megadrive
but the 32x is mostly promise and what could have been anyway
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:36 pm

ulala wrote:having just attempted to play though them, can i add shadow of the beast and super thunderblade to that list?
I've always found Shadow of the bEast dull and repetitive. (haven't played it in a decade mind)

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:
ulala wrote:having just attempted to play though them, can i add shadow of the beast and super thunderblade to that list?
I've always found Shadow of the bEast dull and repetitive. (haven't played it in a decade mind)
exactly, they are collectors punishing rite of passage. not recommended outside of a cabinet

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: I haven't managed to get Virtua Racing or Robocod working, which is a bit of a bugger. Got no right to complain though, all those games on one cartridge!
yeah virtua racing is one of the few games that doesnt work, the others are just a few american sports games i think.

i've had james pond 1, 2 & 3 all working today, i think you must have a bad rom, you should get your roms from either Good Gen or No Intro sets :D

loving my MD gaming at the minute :D cant fualt it all, it even has a Game Genie built in! great bit of kit
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

indeed

the MD is the king of retro. it has those bite sized arcade titles that the SNES and other golden age machines cannot match.

(though i didn't feel like that at the time, was slightly more in favour of the snes)

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Is there a list anywhere of amiga games that were converted to the megadrive?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 pm

AceGrace wrote:Is there a list anywhere of amiga games that were converted to the megadrive?
well a list to start with anyway http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=72379
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello everyone (new to these forums).

Glad to see a Mega Drive thread as I've fond memories of my first console.

My collection is pretty weird as I've never owned the well known games (Only Sonic). My collection consisted of Prince of Persia, Hellfire, Ecco:Tides of Time and a permanent borrowed game of Moonwalker.

I have played the likes of Alex Kidd, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, Toki, OutRun and Revenge of Shinobi at a family friend's house (borrowed from my cousin too) and even bought Streets of Rage 2 a few years after that (to this day I play on Hardest Mode, usually completing it within the hour as it's one game I love to go through by ritual).

Anyway, I have recently bought Rocket Knight Adventures, Pier Solar, Chakan and waiting on Sparkster (Never knew eBay charged for the highest bid...thankfully it wasn't too dear for the box and manual too), Strider and Dragon: Bruce Lee Story (Which I ALMOST BEAT from renting my fam friend's) currently.

At the moment I'm only buying good underground MD games that are unlikely to appear on the Virtual Console, XBLA and PSN so it'd be great to hear a few other games to check out.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 am

snowkatt wrote:
AceGrace wrote:Is there a list anywhere of amiga games that were converted to the megadrive?
well a list to start with anyway http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=72379
Thanks for that. :-)

ulala

Post by ulala » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 am

Is anyone actually near completing a PAL megadrive collection?

I'm up to about 160 and have had enough, thinking of paring it down to games that i still enjoy.

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:12 pm

ulala wrote:Is anyone actually near completing a PAL megadrive collection?

I'm up to about 160 and have had enough, thinking of paring it down to games that i still enjoy.
Im upto x483 now - x52 left for a full PAL European set 8)