Megadrive Collectors Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Timothy Lumsden

Megadrive Collectors Thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Megadrive people - thought we should have our own thread too (I know there probably was one in the mists of time but I couldn't find it - so apologies if this is a repeat).

So, what are people playing and collecting on Sega's MD these days??

I've been enjoying Zombies of late - and not enjoying but laughing at the terrible Lawnmower man.

theantmeister

Re: Megadrive Collectors Thread

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am

I find it inconceivable that there isn't already a megadrive collecting thread! Anyway, I have a pretty small collection of megadrive games. It isn't something I concentrate on collecting (more of a SNES/SFC collector).

So far, I have (all CIB):

California Games
Cool spot
Fatal Fury
Mortal Kombat
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Streets of Rage 2

Like I said, pretty small. The thing is, I bought that Megadrive Collection on the 360 and I usually play that when I need to get my megadrive fix. The nice thing about megadrive collecting is that most games are 100% complete.

Games I would still like to get:

Altered Beast
Decapattack
Golden Axe
James Pond 2
Kid Chameleon
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Mickey & Donald's World of Illusion

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri May 13, 2011 11:06 am

The Mega Drive is one of the few consoles of which I'm happy with my collection. I've got 79 games amassed over fifteen years - they're viewable here: http://www.backloggery.com/games.php?us ... onsole=GEN - and I genuinely can't think of anything else I'd be after.

Great console, better than the SNES any day of the week.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 am

Yay, Mega Drive-stuff!

On the collecting side, I've got almost everything I could want from the thing - a Nomad, Multimega, 200+ games (see here)...

There's just a few odd games I'd like to get hold of, namely Alien Soldier, Mega Turrican, Dashin' Desperados, Twinkle Tale, The Ooze, Radical Rex, those Mutant League games, Boogerman, Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Rock'n'Roll Racing, Mighty Max (even though it's rubbish), the Shining Force games, Virtual Bart and Winter Challenge.

On the playing side of things, I'm mostly (at the moment) into Aladdin, Rocket Knight Adventures, Castlevania and James Pond II. Good times, indeed.

Oh yes, and it's approximately four-hundred-and-twelve times more enjoyable than the SNES :wink:
Last edited by TwoHeadedBoy on Fri May 13, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri May 13, 2011 11:11 am

This thread is unworthy until xfile2708 posts in it :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Fri May 13, 2011 11:26 am

i love the megadrive, i never owned one as a kid (we were a snes household) as my dad refused to buy us one as we had a snes and an amiga. so now i have one (actually about 7 or so of them) i think its great, prefer the snes overall but it still has that coolness about it that had back in the day (hence why i was envious of my mates console with attitude).

some absolute classics on there: probotector, streets of rage 2, sonic 2, comix zone, thunderforce series, crueball (well not so much that last one :D )

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri May 13, 2011 11:37 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Hi Megadrive people - thought we should have our own thread too (I know there probably was one in the mists of time but I couldn't find it - so apologies if this is a repeat).

So, what are people playing and collecting on Sega's MD these days??

I've been enjoying Zombies of late - and not enjoying but laughing at the terrible Lawnmower man.
i am spotting a trend here ;)

next up is the 3d0 thread followed by odyssy 2 and @mark i am sure
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Count me in the club! I never had a Mega Drive as a child, but my cousin was always kitted out in the latest gear. Visits to my Mum's side of the family were often something I looked forward to, with Christmas 1992 being the best memory of walking in to see Sonic 2 on screen. Nothing my Amiga had to offer could match up to it.

As of recent I've found myself revisiting a few classics such as the Sonic series, with the aim to finally finish Knuckles Chaotix. I keep getting halfway through the Shining Force games too, but I'm yet to finish any of them.

Collection-wise, like Ryan I have a fair few imports I wouldn't mind locating with Snow Bros being at the top of the list.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 pm

I wouldn't mind picking up Slap Fight for it, has anybody here played the Megadrive version, how does it hold up?
Splink!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:13 pm

The MD was the first console I had that was all mine, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.
I have 58 games (click my RetroCollect banner) all unboxed, used to have most of them boxed actually but they got misplaced while moving house a few years back.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 pm

It was my first console too that was just for me! Had some great games when i was a nipper. Ive got about 31/2 games or so and i dont really have any plans of getting more. Ive got most of my burning wants from the console with a few exceptions (Wonderboy 3 Monster Lair, maybe Outrun) and maybe a few imports.

Favorites of my collection:

Wonder Boy in Monster World
Castlevania: The New Generation
Fantastic Dizzy/Cosmic Spacehead double pack
Rolo to the Rescue
Castle of Illusion/Quackshot double pack
Dragons Fury
Gods
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm

31 and a half ?

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 pm

i meant 31 or 32. I do own Clayfighters however. Thats about half a game right? Certainly feels like a half arsed effort :D
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri May 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I'd have to call Rocket Knight Adventures my favouriter MD game. Something about it clicked with me.

Sonic - no thanks... Always thought this was pretty much all hype.

(@ snowkatt - the only trend is me bored working from home! :( )

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri May 13, 2011 1:48 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:i meant 31 or 32. I do own Clayfighters however. Thats about half a game right? Certainly feels like a half arsed effort :D
i dont even think its half arsed