Got my GP2X and am so happy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:31 am

Here is the GP2X problems thread:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?sh ... 23121&st=0

and this is someone wrote about:

- bad case...
- screen issues...
- bad joystick...
- badly placed power jack...
- bad headphone jack...
- bad usb file transfer support...
- long boot time...
- bad sd support...
- bad battery life...
- bad tv out...

Is that all true, or are people exagerating as usual?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:32 am

*Sigh*

The GPX2 is for people who are obsessed with running old games on every format under the sun simply because they can, rather than any genuine need to play games. I mean as C16 said in his post, you have to download and mess around with even more programs just to get Mario Kart running at a 'playable' speed. Why bother when you can run it on any old PC nigh on perfectly? "AH!" you all cry, "but I can't play my massive PC on the bus can i?" well no but there are like a ton of proper handheld's you could buy (even old ones if you must), or you could get a DS (which is cheaper anyway?) and play some NEW games. We kept being told that emulation on the older GP32 was supposed to improve but it never did, and this new machine seems to be riddled with bugs. If it can't run Mario Kart properly then there's no hope of it ruinning PSone stuff, ever, and it rules out being able to run tons of the better MAME stuff too. "Oh but you can upgrade with patches!" Again, is it really worth the effort to go through it all just to play the same old emulated games? Nope IMO. And will the emulation really ever be any good on it? Nope, judging by the poor quality emulation on the old model and the supposed improvements that never arrived. Yet again, this is nowt more than forum posing "Look at me, I can run Mario Kart at 75% of it's orignal speed after downloading the gubbins.nerd patch!!!111one on some crappy PDA with a naff joystick".

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:33 am

Stating the obvious: RG should do an extensive review/feature on the GP2X (with a GP32 sidebar), including step-by-step 'how to's.

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:46 am

I agree with Spiff RG should really do a comprehensive review of this machine. Yes it does have its faults, but you have to remember it has only been available over the last couple of months. Some of the emulators are not perfect yet, but at the rate developers are releasing updates/new software it wont be long at all until this is a great machine.

So far I have seen three firmware updates and with all improvements have been made. I wouldnt right this machine off quoting the original downfalls as it needs a chance to grow, which it is doing.

The GP32 has been out for quite a few years, yes it was plagued with poor Snes emulation, but it wasnt really upto the job for Snes. The GP2X is upto the job and over a period of time full complete releases will get here.

The tweaking I have to perform in order to get Mario Kart working at a reasonable rate was only a 2 second job, which I think its worth it to play the game.

One thing to remember is that the GP2X has not officially been released yet, this has been quoted it will happen sometime in March when the firmware has been completely sorted out. Until then those of us that have adopted the device early on will have to update our firmware when its released, which is not that difficult.

It has also been mentioned by Craig who runs the UK distribution that they are in talks with commercial software companies to start releasing commercial quality games.

Just food for thought :D

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:25 am

Spiff wrote:Stating the obvious: RG should do an extensive review/feature on the GP2X (with a GP32 sidebar), including step-by-step 'how to's.
I think that Darran mentioned (in another thread) that he was waiting for a GP2X to be sent to him.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:43 am

I think some of the stuff said here is being a bit unrealistic,

1. the GP2x costs £124.99, a PSP from Liksang £130.99, a difference of like 6 quid and for the difference you get a bigger screen, a power supply thrown in as well as headphones, rechargable power pack and a 32Mb mem card.

2. Anyone who doubts what emulators, ports of popular games, applications and developement tools are available for the PSP, take a look at the stuff available at http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/.

I'm not slagging the GP2x off. I think that it great to see underdog hand helds doing so well proving you don't have to be a super huge multi national to grab a share of the market. Its just a bit unrealistic at this point of its life to start righting off superior machines like the PSP against it. Like someone already mentioned, lets wait until its the firmware is working properly b4 we tell Sony they've wasted their time. :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Jax

Post by Jax » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:13 am

Been discussing the pros and cons of this machine at work, and we have decided that we still want one :D

I work in IT with Programmers and system developers, so we like things liek this :lol: and we have already worked out the merits of a battery pack for it. Yeah it will add to it, but its still a portable Linux box and emulator.

as for problems with emulators, most emulators on PC were only getting reliable a few years ago, it will only be a matter of time till they get it right on this machine also

</2p>

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:50 am

So how does the GB Advance with a flash card compare as an option for a source of emulation...?
I enjoyed reading the feature in the latest issue of RG, and it all seemed pretty positive.

:)
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

READBOY

Re:

Post by READBOY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:11 am

Get_in_Gear wrote:So how does the GB Advance with a flash card compare as an option for a source of emulation...?
I enjoyed reading the feature in the latest issue of RG, and it all seemed pretty positive.

:)
PocketNES is superb with full speed emulation including sound, I think everything except Elite (which has some GFX glitches) seems to run perfectly. It also implements a number of options that allow you to get round the gba's lower vertical screen resolution including scaling and sprite following (basically the screen automatically scrolls up and down depending upon its position).

ZX Advance is again excellent, it seems run at full speed with sound (also offers screen scaling and mapping of keys to the GBA's controls).

The Gameboy emulator GOOMBA is just as good as the others, but obviously doesn't need scaling to display the Gameboys low resolution graphics.

I guess the GP2X offers other machines to emulate such as the Megadrive, Atari 800, C64, SNES and MAME. Also the GP2X has a screen resolution equal to these systems so no scaling is required.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:34 am

I think the GBA's excellent for emulation, as you might have guessed from the feature I wrote—like I said in that, GBA emulation is largely about emulation on the move, rather than authenticity. That said, there are still plenty of excellent emulators; along with those READBOY mentioned, there's also CoG (offering emulation of Jumpan Jr., H.E.R.O. and others), a handful of arcade emulators, PocketBeeb, a Sierra games interpreter, and emulators for the PC Engine and Master System. Along with Goomba Color, it appears a CPC emulator may also soon be a reality. Plus, there are a bunch of decent remakes for the system—both commercial and homebrew.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:54 am

Plus, of course, all of the existing GBA, GBC games themselves...

Whew - decisions, decisions...
The PSP, the GBA and the GP2X each seem to have their pros and cons.
This is gonna be a tough call, but the more I think about it, the more tempted I am to pursue the hand held emulation thing in one shape or form.
Just seems like a neat idea to me.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:23 am

Get_in_Gear wrote:Plus, of course, all of the existing GBA, GBC games themselves...
If you go down the GBA route, I'd actually recommend that you get a DS and a flash cart with an external linker (such as the EZ-F III). This would provide you with:

- A Nintendo DS, which already has some great, unique games, which are often fun to play. It's also a durable, fairly small console.
- A "GBA", providing you with access to the GBA's back catalogue.
- A Game Boy (via Goomba).
- Access to a number of other decent retro emulators, most of which have excellent compatibility and speed.

The PSP still strikes me as somewhat "bling" (and, it has to be said, almost everyone I know who bought one has since sold it, and about half of those people ended up buying a DS). As for the GP2X... it's a nice idea, but I most definitely wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until the various issues with it get sorted out.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:47 am

CraigGrannell wrote: If you go down the GBA route, I'd actually recommend that you get a DS and a flash cart with an external linker (such as the EZ-F III). This would provide you with:

- A Nintendo DS, which already has some great, unique games, which are often fun to play. It's also a durable, fairly small console.
- A "GBA", providing you with access to the GBA's back catalogue.
- A Game Boy (via Goomba).
- Access to a number of other decent retro emulators, most of which have excellent compatibility and speed.

The PSP still strikes me as somewhat "bling" (and, it has to be said, almost everyone I know who bought one has since sold it, and about half of those people ended up buying a DS). As for the GP2X... it's a nice idea, but I most definitely wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until the various issues with it get sorted out.
That all seems like pretty sound advice - thanks. :)

I hadn't even considered the DS for some reason... weird.
I've actually had a go on one too - my nephew got one for Christmas.
I was impressed as it happens, but it seems to have just slipped my mind.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:05 pm

If you are buying a hand held for playing emulators on then it's got to be a gp32 at the moment and eventually a gp2x

No other handheld makes it so easy to run emulators on, it will run:

spectrum, c64, atari st, mega drive, snes, doom, gb, gbc, hexen, scumm (monkey island etc), mame (0.84) plus loads others I can't think of at the moment.

I'll eventually get a gp2x once the emulators are a bit more stable - really looking forward to playing ff7 on the ps1 emulator (which is possible), and exult (ultima 7)

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:I think some of the stuff said here is being a bit unrealistic,

1. the GP2x costs £124.99, a PSP from Liksang £130.99, a difference of like 6 quid and for the difference you get a bigger screen, a power supply thrown in as well as headphones, rechargable power pack and a 32Mb mem card.
It's worth mentioning that the SNES emulation on the PSP isn't much better than on GP2x right now and that to get a PSP running this kind of thing you DO make running legit software more difficult/impossible.

You can't run Smackdown vs Raw 2006 and emulators on the same machine without fairly serious work for instance and that if you buy a PSP right now there's a fair chance you won't be able to run emulators on it AT ALL yet.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com