Got my GP2X and am so happy

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C16

Got my GP2X and am so happy

Post by C16 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my joy with everyone. Last week I received my GP2X from http://www.gp2x.co.uk and its amazing. Even though alot of the software/emulators are still in beta mode they work a treat. Here's what I'm playing at the moment:

Sega Megadrive (Full speed with sound)
PCEngine (Full speed with sound)
Vice2X (Excellent for a first release, omg C64,C16,PET & Vic20 games)
Handy (A brill Atari Lynx Emulator)
MameGPX (Outstanding as it is, but still improving all the time)
Snes (You have to clock up the cpu speed, but working with alot of games full speed but without sound at the moment)
Duke3D (This port just makes you smile so much)
Quake (A full speed port)
Ur Quan Masters (I never thought we would see this on the GP2X but its been ported so well)
Scumm (Play all your old Lucas Arts games, perfect)

You should see the video play back too, no need to format into a different size/resolution it does it for you.

The GP2X community moves along at a tremendous rate, everyday there seems to be a new release or a update.

Ok I better stop as this is sounding like a advert, lol :oops: But for a retro experience I would give it 9/10 at the moment, it does have a few little flaws but I forgave them quickly.

Looking forward to reading what RG think about it.

Chris :D

daxtrajero

Post by daxtrajero » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:01 pm

whats the score with batteries - does it come with rechargeables ?

C16

Post by C16 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm

I've got some 2600 mah Fujicell rechargable batteries and I get about 3 1/2 hours out of the machine. As the firmware is updated the battery life will improve. Not as bad as originally stated. It comes with two normal AA batteries that only last a short time, so best to get some good rechargables

:)

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:06 pm

what is the joystick like - I heard there was an issue with it's dead zone

Also I heard the head phone socket is easily broken

I have a gp32 and I'm very tempted to get a gp2x - I'm looking forward to a playable ps1 to play ff7 on, and also a playable exult (ultima 7)

let us know how you get on

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 am

The joystick does feel a little strange at first, but you get used to it and its not a problem.

Some headphones dont seem to fit correctly in the socket, but just takes a bit to find the right ones.

PSX emulation is far from ready, but hopefully we will see a updated emulator that can run alot more games at full speed.

Exult (Ultima 7) is out of this world, was playing it last night, well worth having on your SD card.

Chris

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:37 am

I did not know the GP2X until now, looks awesome. But if you had to choose between a PSP and a GP2X, what would you choose? I don't really want a PSP, if so, I would use it only for emulation, and then again, I think that the GP2X is far better in emulation than a PSP. But how big is it, does it have the same dimensions as the PSP or is it bigger and larger?? I cannot connect to the GP2X main site, it's websensed here at work.

How is the performance, what are it's hardware specs?

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:47 am

I would choose the GP2X hands down. The GP2X is smaller than the PSP, but it has a lovely large screen. Its the way the community is developing that grasped me, moving so fast and so many releases. Also its far cheaper than the PSP, and hopefully will be able to emulate the PSX well soon.

Have a look at http://www.gp32x.com all the specs and available software is on there :)

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:53 am

I will look at it when I'm home, this site is websensed too.

But isn't that too small, if it's even smaller than a PSP, are the games still playable? And is the screen good?

Another question. I saw you can order it with 2 x 1GB card, doesn't it support one 2GB card?

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:56 am

Its not too small at all, no way as small as the n-gage. A small summary of the specs:

Dual CPU Cores: ARM920T Host Processor 200 mhz - ARM940T Video Coprocessor 200mhz

64MB - RAM

64MB - NAND Flash Memory

SD Card Compatible for Storage (upto 2 gig at the moment)

USB 2.0 High Speed Connection

Linux Operating System for Open Source Development

3.5' TFT LCD Screen @ 320*240 (QVGA)

Ish

Re: Got my GP2X and am so happy

Post by Ish » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 am

C16 wrote: Snes (You have to clock up the cpu speed, but working with alot of games full speed but without sound at the moment)
Have you got any more info on this?

Particularly how does it handle games like Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island?

Reason I ask is that the only reason I've hung onto my PSP is for SNES emulation but it sucks at games that push the hardware.
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 am

I've been playing Mario Kart over the last few days. Seems to be a good emulation, but to get it working at a faster (fully playable) rate I had to use a small application that someone has written to increase the CPU speed to 230 mhz from 200mhz. This week has seen a release of another snes emulator, so hopefully soon we will have a full speed with sound emulator.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:54 am

I must admit - I only really became aware of the GP2X through the ad in RG.
It immediately looked like just the kind of thing I was looking for, as Speccy/Snes/Megadrive emulation would be my primary requirement.
Being able to watch movie files is an added bonus.

I was tempted to buy a PSP to carry out all of these tasks, but some of your comments are really selling me on the GP2X.

Silly question, but I presume you have the option of using a mains adaptor as well as batteries?
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

C16

Post by C16 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:19 am

There is a mains adapter that works for the GP2X, the one I have came from Agros (Called the Masterplug 982/9701) for £7.99.

Just checked the news and there is now a Atari ST emulator :D Oh life is good, lol

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 am

One of the nicer touches to the GPx2 is that way you can hook it up to a full-size TV, allowing you to not only use it for "on-the-move" gaming, but also "sit-down-in-front-of-the-telly-with-a-few-beers" gaming too.

Which is nice.

Of cuorse, it will help when they actually release the new firmware that makes the thing work properly. That's when I'll think of getting one. :wink:

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:26 am

I read in the forums that the GP2X has some software problems, which will be solved with further firmware, and also some minor hardware problems. Did you notice anything negative on your GP2X?