The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 pm

markopoloman wrote:disagree with what?

Everything normally.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:37 am

markopoloman wrote:disagree with what?
The fact that life would be boring if we all agreed.

Do keep up ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:30 am

I am one who still doesnt understand One man and his droid. I read the instructions and am still none the wiser.

I like the title tune on the C64 though!

Regarding Amstrad graphics, i think people go overboard with saying they are blocky! Seems to be if a game is colourful people say it is blocky, but if its a bit drab (C64 i am looking at you!) people tend to say its not blocky.

Though the mode 0 graphics do tend to be chunky on the amstrad.

Spector

Re:

Post by Spector » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:33 am

khisanth wrote:I am one who still doesnt understand One man and his droid. I read the instructions and am still none the wiser.

Regarding Amstrad graphics, i think people go overboard with saying they are blocky! Seems to be if a game is colourful people say it is blocky, but if its a bit drab (C64 i am looking at you!) people tend to say its not blocky.

I think the two colour hi-res graphics on the Amstrad can look amazing. The Dan Dare loading picture was done this way, and it's the best picture from the three 8-bit formats (though the Speccy one is really good as well).

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 am

khisanth wrote:I am one who still doesnt understand One man and his droid. I read the instructions and am still none the wiser.

I never said the graphics were blocky - what I said was......

'Graphics are never going to differ that much between the games, although these are crisp and colourful. Gameplay is effected by the speed of things - its only a tad slower but makes a difference. '

So indeed, the graphics look ok - its just the gameplay is effected by jerky movement and slightly slower gameplay!

Not sure I follow with the C64 graphics being drab? OK, so we know that emulation doesn't do the games justice, but unless my eye sight is ferked, the games are much brighter when playing on the real thing! (and NO the coulour and brightness were not turned up) :roll:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:25 am

Sorry - forgot to add...............

Don't understand OMAHD???? :shock:

Get the C64 emu up and running.

Get your bloke up through the rows of moving Ramboids - get to the top and go left to get to the maze.

Go into the maze type area and look at the left hand side of the play area - you will see ramboids in a particular order.

Now go looking around the maze for the TOP ramboid! Direct him back to the teleporter (a hole in the floor). Do this with as many ramboids as poss. Hey presto! onto the next level - do it all over again - but with moving brick walls that move around like ramboids!!!1

Easy - and addictive - go on, give it a go.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:33 am

The main argument i see about the C64 is that the colours lack vibrance and vivid colour, hence the drab comment. This is with the real C64 i wasnt referring to emulators. Personally I like the C64 colour pallette!

Thanks for the OMAHD advice, dont worry I will fire this up and give it a go. cheers!

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:37 am

markopoloman wrote:Not sure I follow with the C64 graphics being drab? OK, so we know that emulation doesn't do the games justice, but unless my eye sight is ferked, the games are much brighter when playing on the real thing! (and NO the coulour and brightness were not turned up) :roll:
:D Hello fellow human with correct eyes and TV setup!

I keep saying that (I know you are all sick of hearing it), and no-one believes me.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Spector wrote: I think the two colour hi-res graphics on the Amstrad can look amazing. The Dan Dare loading picture was done this way, and it's the best picture from the three 8-bit formats (though the Speccy one is really good as well).
The graphics can be good, but the animation is often bad. Loading screens don't represent the game at all.

NESHero

Post by NESHero » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:21 pm

arr Rainbow Islands, i played this when i was 6 on the Commodore 64, then when my C64 kicked the bucket i had to buy myself the NES version, still good tho but a challenging and hard game.
"640k ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, Microsoft Corporation (1981)

batman877

Re:

Post by batman877 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 am

SirClive wrote:
Spector wrote: I think the two colour hi-res graphics on the Amstrad can look amazing. The Dan Dare loading picture was done this way, and it's the best picture from the three 8-bit formats (though the Speccy one is really good as well).
The graphics can be good, but the animation is often bad. Loading screens don't represent the game at all.
I think the CPC's biggest problem was that it was not popular enough in the UK, resulting in lazy ports and bad conversions.

The CPC was massive in France and Spain. Programmers over there really got to grips with the Amstrad's hardware and produced games that showed the CPC could make better games than the C64 and Spectrum. (See PURPLE SATURN DAY and NORTH AND SOUTH as examples).

The same popularity rules apply today. The Gamecube for example has more power than the PS2 but because the PS2 was more popular, the Gamecube usually received poor PS2 ports from third parties.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 pm

I think the CPC's biggest problem was that it was uncompromisingly censored.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

So, when will there be more comparison screenshots? I love those, but my knowledge is too tiny to be of any use in here other than as a spectator.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 pm

I would happily do some,but just scared of the abuse I would generate with my opinions :)

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:29 pm

khisanth wrote:I would happily do some,but just scared of the abuse I would generate with my opinions :)
Thats part of th fun!