The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:In addition, the way bi-directional shooters like Uridium (and Defender, and Dropzone) require your ship/guy to decelerate before changing direction and accelerating in the new direction means that you have significant inertia on the player, at least in relation to your horizontal movement, and as I've already mentioned, I'm no fan of inertia in shooters.
I remember Dropzone as working _very_ well in this regard actually, making it possible to nip around quickly to blast something behind you.
Defender I still detest though, I hate how the ship moves about on the screen when you turn.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:54 pm

NorthWay wrote:I remember Dropzone as working _very_ well in this regard actually, making it possible to nip around quickly to blast something behind you. Defender I still detest though, I hate how the ship moves about on the screen when you turn.
You are, of course, totally right. As is everyone who has suggested that Uridium isn't the classic that people claim that it is. It doesn't even come close to Paradroid. Heck, it doesn't even come close to Warhawk.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:07 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote:In addition, the way bi-directional shooters like Uridium (and Defender, and Dropzone) require your ship/guy to decelerate before changing direction and accelerating in the new direction means that you have significant inertia on the player, at least in relation to your horizontal movement, and as I've already mentioned, I'm no fan of inertia in shooters.
I remember Dropzone as working _very_ well in this regard actually, making it possible to nip around quickly to blast something behind you.
Defender I still detest though, I hate how the ship moves about on the screen when you turn.
Just had another go of Dropzone to refresh my memory. You're right about being able to quickly shoot something behind you. The nifty trick it does is that it lets you start shooting in the opposite direction before you've even turned around. That's a pretty cool feature, but I still find the inertia a bit offputting. And now that I've gone back and played it, I realise that the gravity bugs me even more.

But I accept that it's just a case of my own preferences clashing with the kind of game Dropzone is. I wouldn't suggest that the game be changed to suit my tastes, cos then it wouldn't be Dropzone, and there are probably plenty of people who love that control style. Like Uridium, I just have to put it in the 'not really my cup of tea' box.

tssk

Post by tssk » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:There's a big difference in being engaged in a frantic struggle for survival and just doing the 8-bit digital space-oriented equivalent of hanging around a street corner until the pub opens.
LOL!

Very true.

For me the appeal was

1 Flying something that was sort of like Han Solo's ship.

2 Being able to flip the ship on it's side to slide through gaps. Very showy.

3 Destroying a massive ship and then flying over the disintergrating remains.

Shallow? Yep. Better than Zynaps?

Yep.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:13 am

revgiblet wrote:it doesn't even come close to Warhawk.
I liked Warhawk!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 pm

GarryG wrote:
revgiblet wrote:it doesn't even come close to Warhawk.
I liked Warhawk!
Great music, average game but it was still better than Uridium I reckon.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:30 am

Even at the time I looked on Uridium as a kind of showy demo more than a game.. it's fun though, but I think the sequel was a vast improvement.

I remember Jeff Minter making similar comments that it was a case of nice graphics but a bit of an 'empty' game, and that the best thing about it was the 'cool little ship'.

Was it just me that noticed that the explosion sprites from Uridium seemed to turn up in every other C64 demo not to mention a few other commercial games? (not Braybrook's)

Won't hear anything bad said about dropzone though ;)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:48 pm

How about reviving this thread in a different sort of way?

Here's an idea.................

Select a few games that were released on more than two 8 bit puters and get the forum folk to vote on what one gets the comparison.
Then the regular comparer's have to compare that ONE game - given a set date to post there comparison!

Then we can all see if we are close/biased/fanboys or just plain kerazy!!

Wadayathink?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:08 pm

markopoloman wrote:How about reviving this thread in a different sort of way?

Here's an idea.................

Select a few games that were released on more than two 8 bit puters and get the forum folk to vote on what one gets the comparison.
Then the regular comparer's have to compare that ONE game - given a set date to post there comparison!

Then we can all see if we are close/biased/fanboys or just plain kerazy!!

Wadayathink?
I think that's a crazy idea but it might just work.
Splink!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:59 pm

So? Anyone else care to comment on the idea???

Now that we have competition in the mag with its own comparisons!

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:05 am

So you end up having multiple comparisons of the same game?

It's an interesting idea, but I feel it would probably lead to less comparisons being done, rather than more.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:24 am

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1988) Domark

Spectrum

Fast gameplay in parts, but significant slow down in others. Colour clash exists and can be confusing, although it's not a huge issue. Great in game music, although the title music is awful. Overall a good enjoyable shooter.

Amstrad

Slower than the Spectrum version, but maintains a good sense of speed with no slowdown. Fantastic in game music (slightly better than the Spectrum) but it has no title music.

C64

The C64 version has the smallest play area and is sluggish. The only version to feature sound effects but at the expense of any in game music. The title music is average at best. There isn't even a loading screen! A real disappointment.

Overall

The Spectrum and Amstrad versions are excellent conversions of the arcade original. The main problem exists is that the game itself is repetitive and easy. The only real challenge is the high score table, but this is true of all versions.

1st: Amstrad
2nd: Spectrum
3rd: C64

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:49 am

And Batman pulls another great comparison out of his utility belt.

I have only played the Speccy version and would say that you don't notice the clash when thats the only version you play, but can understand why it would knock the score down in a comparison.

But just look at the Speccy loading screen. That is one of the best loading screens EVER!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:43 pm

The Amstrad and Spectrum conversions hold up really well.

Compare them to the 16-bit Commodore Amiga version (btw - all of the images on these pages are original captures by myself):

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:50 pm

batman877 wrote:THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1988) Domark
3rd: C64
I _know_ it is not the same game, but I always thought the Parker Brothers C= 64 version was well done (I guess there is a similar A8 version too?).
I must fire it up and compare to the new version One Of These Days.