The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Yeeha! NINE versions! Nice one MPM. Almost as huge an effort as fathering a full litter of kids. :D

oswald

Post by oswald » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

I have discovered something ammazing:

c64 had two different versions of r-types.

anyone care to write a c64 vs c64 rtype review ? :lol:

you can read the whole story, and check the screenshot of tune unreleased version, and also download 5 playable unfinished levels! :D

here is the link to it (you can find here hundreds of other games that was not completed/released officialy if you're interested):

http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/r/Review_Rtype.php

the unreleased one is more faithful and better in many ways than what was officially sold in my opinion. only the gfx would have needed a (lot) of polish and sfx/msx is missing :)

btw, I hate the new 'all games comparison thread' now it takes 3 times more clicks and browsing to find this thread and see if there's any new posts :(
Last edited by oswald on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Nice, look forward to playing that.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Off topic but worth plugging this site once more - Ok, so im a C64 fanboy but this is one of the best, most interesting 8-bit sites ever.

Gasking is a top bloke and if ever there was a chap that should be part of the mag in some way.........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 05, 2008 3:02 pm

I am trying to play the alternate RType on C64 from GTW, but can't get passed the bit at the beggining that tells the story. Have tried pressing all the keys but no joy. Anyone else been able to play it?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon May 05, 2008 3:05 pm

I'd quite like to do an 8-bit comparison soon, is there any game in particular anyone would like to see, as I'm not sure where to start and what's already been covered.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 pm

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon May 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Oh that's great thanks, links as well.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:54 am

SirClive wrote:I am trying to play the alternate RType on C64 from GTW, but can't get passed the bit at the beggining that tells the story. Have tried pressing all the keys but no joy. Anyone else been able to play it?
If you read the story of how it was discovered, the end bit tells you that you have to load each of the 5 levels independently.

To do so...

Extract the D64 file from the zip (you won't be able to select the individual files while zipped).
Start VICE.
Select 'File > Autostart disk/tape image'
Navigate to the extracted D64 file and single click it.
In the lower half of the disk load dialogue box, the image contents are listed. Select the level you want to play here, double click it to run.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 06, 2008 2:14 am

Ah, cheers Ant. Thought it meant load them from an ingame menu :roll:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm

ok, here's my comparison of Green Beret for the Speccy, C64 and CPC.

First we start with the Spectrum version:

ImageImage

GFX:

The game loads up with a nice loading screen, even though the main chacracter seems to have developed a serious hardcore tan. The game has good animation, slightly confusing when up against a detailed part of the background especially to see oncoming bullets, but the game does play slower to compensate for this. Overall it's a nice looking game, and the animation in particular stand out.

Audio:

Overall very little unfortunately. A nice klaxon siren sound to start the level but then it's just comes down to the usual crunch and crackles when stabbing with your knife.

Gameplay:

The highlight of this version for sure. The game plays very well albeit slower than the C64 version, however this is to compensate for the confusing gfx, had it played much quicker then I think there would have been a lot of unfair deaths from the bullets that are fired at your randomly throughout the stage. The difficulty its not too high, I would say it's pitched just right. Overall a great feel to it, nice automatic knife action to save you hammering the button like a madman.

Moving on to the C64 version:

ImageImage

GFX:

Well, it has a lovely loading screen, one that's firmly imprinted on my brain from childhood. The main game has nice and clear gfx but not as hi-res as the Speccy, blocky but certainly more colourful so I guess this comes down to a matter of taste. However this version has a graphical advantage with the typical C64 liquid smooth scrolling that isn't present in the other versions.

Auido:

Wow, what can you say about this. The main loading theme is a total classic, if you've not heard it before then you must! It really shows just what the C64 was capable off, and it's incredibly moody and give lot's of atmosphere and character to game unlike the other versions. The main game has a nice military drum loop which I think adds to the feel of things, the sounds fx are all reasonable , nothing outstanding but good nonetheless.

Gameplay

Well, this version I find pretty tough, the random bullets that seeming appear out of nowhere are quite hard to dodge unless you're totally on the ball, it's not a fault it's just there's no time to relax even for a second in this version. There's no auto fire on the knife like the Speccy version, but the collision detection feels way more sharper so it's not really needed so much as the gameplay is very instinctive. Overall it plays differently to the spectrum and maybe a little more like it's arcade parent.

And Finally the CPC version:

ImageImage

GFX:

Oh dear, whatever can you say about this mess, they are absolutely terrible. Horrible garish colours and jerky scrolling. The loading screen is even an abortion, I guess the programmers were too lazy to draw the main character so opted for a truck instead, which kinda sums this game up in a nutshell really. The main character in the game is hideous looking, so blocky it looks like a 6 year old drew them, subsequently all characters in the game have a wonderful 2 frames of animation. Very jerky.

Audio:

No title music, just a horrible screeching siren to start the game off with before unleashing a torrent of bleeps and buzzes which sound entirely irrelevant to the on-screen action. It tries to do the up beat military drums of the C64 version but it can't even get that right. It's seems out of rhythm and just overall a mess.

Gameplay:

Well, there is hardly any to be perfectly honest. The game runs slower than all the other versions and the collision detection is HORRIBLE, sometimes you will knife an enemy but he will magically walk straight through your knife and kill you. On top of this the controls are very sluggish. But we haven't even got to the real crime of this versions gameplay and that is the fact that the CPC doesn't handle scrolling too well, so it uses a semi flip screen affair, basically what happens is once you've cleared a certain amount of the screen, the gameplay actually STOPS while it shifts the perspective to the left of the screen to start all over again, rinse and repeat this about 50 times per stage and you start to lose the will to live. It's also worth mentioning that the stages on the CPC version seem to drag on forever.

OVERALL:

I would rate C64 as the best version as it feels closer to the arcade original with fast frantic and presice gameplay, the Speccy is no slouch either but it does feel different (not in a bad way) to the C64/Arcade version, a slightly slower game but just as enjoyable.

The CPC version should be avoided at all costs really, I dunno who developed it but they should have got the sack really.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Pretty fair comparison. Nice one.

Have added it to the links thread.

oswald

Post by oswald » Thu May 08, 2008 1:24 pm

tho the c64 version is next to impossible to finish, or you have to be a semi god to do so without trainers. I have struggled once for like an hour to play it through with savestates (!!!)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu May 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Nice comparison.

I had both the CPC version and the C64 version on real hardware. I must be odd because I much prefer the bouncy easy to control CPC version (weird scrolling and music aside) to the tricky as hell C64 one. But then I never understood why this game was supposed to be fun on any system.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Hmm, I think maybe it's one of them things that you're more forgiving having played it back in the day, where as for me back then I used to play the Speccy and C64 versions a lot, so maybe that is skewing my judgment slightly. But I'm trying to be fair and judge with fresh eyes and the CPC version is undoubtedly terrible in comparison. :)

The actual pause in the gameplay when the screen scrolls is near 2 seconds, and in that time everything is frozen, that actually shocked me that it could be deemed fit for release with this happening.