The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

batman877

The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Post by batman877 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:53 am

RULES ADDED JULY 17, 2007 BY CRAIG
No axe-grinding in this thread, period.

RULES, if they are required:
* Pick a game and post a screen-grab from each 8-bit platform the game appeared on (do NOT include 16-bit screens). For an interesting comparison, three or more platforms is preferable. (Try to host the images yourself, or at least ensure your images are from sites that don't block—i.e. do not link to the likes of MobyGames.)
* For each platform, write a short summary, perhaps talking about graphics, sound and gameplay. Be impartial.
* Place the platforms in rank order, from best to worst.

Some discussion of previous posts is welcome, but too much off-topic stuff will be deleted.

-----

Please post your 8-bit game comparisons here:

8-bit versions already covered in other threads include:

CHASE HQ
COBRA
CONTINENTAL CIRCUS
DRAGON'S LAIR: ESCAPE FROM SINGE'S CASTLE
JETPAC
LICENCE TO KILL
LIVE AND LET DIE
SHADOW OF THE BEAST
SORCERY
STORMLORD
URIDIUM
WAY OF THE EXPLODING FIST
WHO DARES WINS II

Link to this other thread can be found here:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2783

8-bit versions covered in this thread so far:

AIRWOLF
ALIEN SYNDROME
ARKANOID
ATTACK OF THE MUTANT CAMELS
BAD DUDES VS. DRAGON NINJA
BATMAN THE MOVIE
BLACK LAMP
BOULDERDASH
BUGGY BOY
CHEVY CHASE
CHILLER
COMMANDO
CYBERNOID
DEATH WISH 3
DEFENDER OF THE CROWN
DEFLEKTOR
DIZZY
DRAGON SPIRIT
DYNASTY WARS
DYNAMITE DAN
ELECTRA GLIDE
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, THE
ENDURO RACER
EXOLON
FLYING SHARK
FORMULA 1 SIMULATOR
GAUNTLET
GHOSTS N GOBLINS
HARD DRIVIN'
HEAD OVER HEELS
HERO QUEST
HEROES OF KHAN
I-BALL
IK+
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
INTO THE EAGLES NEST
KARATEKA
LORDS OF MIDNIGHT
MATCHDAY II
METROCROSS
MIKIE
MR HELI
MUTANTS
ONE MAN AND HIS DROID
OPERATION WOLF
POLE POSITION
RAINBOW ISLANDS
RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II
RAMBO III
RAMPAGE
RESCUE ON FRACTALUS
ROBOCOP
ROCKSTAR ATE MY HAMSTER
SLAP FIGHT
SPACE GUN
SPELLBOUND
STAR WARS (Domark)
TARGET RENEGADE
TERRA CRESTA
TRANTOR
TURICAN II
UN SQUADRON
WIZARD OF WOR
ZYNAPS
Last edited by batman877 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:27 am, edited 43 times in total.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:05 am

I'll start off this new thread with AIRWOLF:

Amstrad CPC version
Average graphics, good music and ok sound. Playability wise it holds up ok, but the difficulty level is too hard especially as you constantly have to keep your helicopter from falling and you only get 1 life! Also has different level design from the other versions.

Spectrum version
Graphics are clear and ok. Sound is ok, but has no music. Again the difficulty seriously affects the game. The level design is unique to the Spectrum but just try to get past the first obsticle where you have to destroy the wall (it doesn't help that the wall regenerates after a few moments!) This is the only version without an energy bar for your only life. You die instantly upon impact (although you can touch certain parts of the level without exploding)!!! NB* sorry as you can see in the post below the Spectrum version actually substitutes the energy bar for 5 lives! oops!

Commodore 64 version
Good graphics, good sound and the music is ok (although rather slow!) The level design on the C64 version is better than the CPC and Spectrum as it is more puzzle orientated. Unfortuantely the 1 life rule still applys which makes it too hard.

BBC Micro version
Ok graphics (although a little too red) and ok sound. No music. This conversion follows the same level design as the C64 version. The difference being that the BBC version actually plays more slowly, slightly reducing the difficulty level which actually makes for the most enjoyable experience!

OVERALL
Graphics: C64
Sound & Music: Amstrad
Gameplay: BBC
Overall: BBC
Last edited by batman877 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:12 am

Not sure about the others, but the Speccy version gives you 5 lives (in the screenshot above you can see "COPTERS : 5"), not just the 1. Hence the lack of energy bar. Still bloody hard though!

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:36 am

Don't agree with you on the graphics. CPC is actually better than the C64 on this one IMHO.

From memory, the Speccy version was nothing like the other versions, although I can only base this on the first screen as it was nigh on impossible (for me at least) to get past the regenerating wall.

Of all the versions, the CPC wins this one for me. :D

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:25 am

I'm actually a big fan of the Speccy version. It was one of the first few games I ever had for my Speccy so I played it to death. I can get about 8 screens into the game and for the last 20 years I've never been able to get past it!! Infuriating, but it's now become one of my Life's Goals to beat this little game once and for all! (If anyone can help, let me know! :D )

Spector

Re:

Post by Spector » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 am

DonkeySpank wrote:I'm actually a big fan of the Speccy version. It was one of the first few games I ever had for my Speccy so I played it to death. I can get about 8 screens into the game and for the last 20 years I've never been able to get past it!! Infuriating, but it's now become one of my Life's Goals to beat this little game once and for all! (If anyone can help, let me know! :D )
I managed to rescue the scientist in the Spectrum version of Airwolf, and I really enjoyed it. It is VERY hard, but there are only 12 screens, and one of them serves no purpose, so you always know that you aren't far away from completing it. The lovely pixellated colour and large sprites were a trademark of Elite who at the time (1984) were the best software house for the Spectrum technically (apart from maybe Ultimate), but struggled with gameplay. Airwolf was their best shot up to that point, I think. It's no surprise that when Elite turned their hands to arcade conversions that required real technical expertise (from Keith Burkhill in particular who was brilliant), they were on to a winner.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:51 am

8-bit ROBOCOP:

Please note, I've reviewed the 128k versions of this game.

Spectrum version
The graphics are well drawn, although very dull to look at. The speech and sound effects are great and the music throughout is excellent. The gameplay is the Spectrum's biggest assest though. It moves beautifully and is extremely responsive. Highly recommended.

Amstrad CPC version
The graphics are excellent, when in motion they still look great with minimal slow down. The speech and music are identical to the Spectrum version which is a good thing. Robocop doesn't move quite as fluidly as the Spectrum version, but still impresses and is highly playable.

Commodore 64 version
Unfortunately the graphics here are dull and the movement is jerky. This is the only 8-bit version where Robocop jumps (like in the arcade) but it is more of a pain than a help when playing. The music is the same tune as the other versions but gets the SID treatment, but to be honest, isn't as enjoyable. To make matters worse, you only get 1 life in this version!

OVERALL:
Graphics: Amstrad
Sound: Spectrum / Amstrad
Gameplay: Spectrum
Overall: Spectrum (Amstrad a very close second).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:39 pm

COMMANDO

This is one of the all time classic arcade games. If you have never played Commando, then you were probably born pre 1950 or post 1990!
The home computer versions were handled by Elite, to varying levels of success.

In alphabetical order...

AMSTRAD
The amstrad version of this classic is a travesty on all fronts. The graphics are a blocky mess, which for some reason keep the Spectrums limited colour scheme :? .
The sound/music is terrible throughout and really harsh.
But that was the good news, the gameplay is dire and I would hope to go through the rest of my life without encountering this mess.

COMMODORE
The Commodore version fares a little better than the CPC. Although the graphics are still a blocky mess, at least they are recognisable as Commando and the colour scheme is a bit better (though far from good).
The sound in OK, but is far from Rob Hubbard's best.
The gameplay of the 64 version is quite good and with better graphics this would have been a very good game.

SPECTRUM
This is how to make a great arcade game into a great computer game. The graphics are superb and are much closer to the arcades cartoony look. The playfield seems large, even though the characters are bigger than in other versions. Obviously the colours are unrealistic, but make the best of a very limited palette.
The sound is also good and proves that the old beeper can hold its own.
Gameplay however is the main draw and Commando on the Spectrum is a true joy to play. It has a great difficulty curve (just like the original) and always seems fair. This game is rightly held up as one of the best arcade conversions for the Spectrum and should be played by everyone, regardless of your machine of choice.

Scores
This game is very easy to score. For all three categories of Sound/Graphics/Gameplay the scores would be...

1st - Spectrum
2nd - Commodore
3rd - Amstrad

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Sir C you fail to mention that the C64 version is missing most of the game, it only has 3 levels!!!

Also I love the Commando remix hubbard has done, in fact when I play the game on Capcom Classics I wish it had his music as it's funkier and doesn't feel the same playing it.

I do agree though Speccy is the best version.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:25 pm

*ahem* rainbow islands........

speccy:

Yeeaaahhh....... err,,, i can see a splash of colours, which i assume is the castle, hmmm.... i'm still searching for the guy, jesus, this is like 'where's wally?' ..............hmmmmmm......oh look i found him...... that cloud looking thingy, thats the guy........... i guesss, is that meant to be flowers? glad pictures don't let you hear the sound.

C64:

Yay colour! even though it looks like the speccy version but coloured in by playschool kids, its bright i give it that. Not much detail though, infact zero detail, i can only just make out what everyhting is once i use binoculars, and why has the caterpillar got a moustache?

MD version:

oh yes this is more like it, i can make everything out and combined with the awsomeness of the MD the game feels, plays, and sounds like the arcade, brilliant!!! a far cry from the last two examples. And whats that? the gay enemies from the other versions have beeen replaced by the awsome darius enemies? brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a winner ladies and gentlemen and it is the totally awsome MD version that gets gold, silver and bronze, fantastically awsome!

devilman

Post by devilman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:41 pm

As this is an 8-bit thread, a fairer comparison would've been the Master System version.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Yes, that's a perfectly fair comparision, you didn't miss out several versions.

Also, the MD isn't 8-bit, so it shouldn't even be here, plus it certainly doesn't look or feel like the arcade beause the enemies and backgrounds are completely different. Her'es the Arcade version.

It's a shame that in your rush to be a twonk as per usual you missed the SMS version, which looks virtually as good as the MD anyway.

and the uglier NES one.

Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

batman877

Re:

Post by batman877 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:14 pm

devilman wrote:As this is an 8-bit thread, a fairer comparison would've been the Master System version.
And why did you miss off the superior Amstrad CPC version???

tcv

Re:

Post by tcv » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:55 pm

Dudley wrote:
and the uglier NES one.

Why does my NES version look so different?

It's almost like there are different variants?

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:24 am

The Last Ginja wrote:Sir C you fail to mention that the C64 version is missing most of the game, it only has 3 levels!!!
Soz dude, I didn't play that far. Only the Speccy version made me want to continue passed level 2.