The best 8-bit loader

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

beesty

Re:

Post by beesty » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 pm

LeeT wrote:Changing the subject slightly, the worst loader was the US Gold Novaload with the Stars 'N' Stripes Music - That really got on my nerves!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH,I can hear this now in my head,I hate you for reminding me of that lovely grating nausiating tune.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 pm

Taking a slightly different slant on the topic question, the loading screens and music for the various levels on the C64 version of Last Ninja 2 bring back loads of memories for me. Not the best, but the various tunes et al. still tingle the hairs on the back of my neck everytime I see/hear them. 8)

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:47 pm

marksims68 wrote:Anyone remember the loader for Commando on the C64???

Brilliant music if I remember, oh and Delta's mix-e-load was superb too.......

On the Speccy it has to be Jet Set Willy, I learned to know the loading rasp and knew when the game would finish loading, sad I know..........

BTw this is my first post, YAAAAAAAAY!!!

Mark.
yes the commando loading music was excellent - I remember recording it to tape. The loading screen looked like it was drawn by a blind person though (it was supposed to be the arcade cab for commando). The countdown timer was quite useful though

K-J N.

Re:

Post by K-J N. » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:19 pm

kaiserpc wrote:yes the commando loading music was excellent - I remember recording it to tape. The loading screen looked like it was drawn by a blind person though (it was supposed to be the arcade cab for commando). The countdown timer was quite useful though
The loading screen was done with PETSCII. The Elite Loader tune was a cover of Living on Video by Trans-X.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:21 am

For a time... I have Frank Bruno's Boxing and Commando with it on, but the loading music for Airwolf was something different, the name of which escapes me at the moment (something well known though).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:39 am

I remember being absolutely stunned when I saw the Jetpac loading screen.

Yes, I realise that was just an average load screen speccy wise but at the time I only had a ZX81 so was pretty impressed and that first loader screen has always stuck in my mind.

Being a BBC owner after that we didn't get loading screens for the most part (until later on!) and if we did they were pretty poor but when Superior Software started firstly making their own software, and secondly rereleasing other companies software (as well as releasing it on disk) it always came with a semi decent loading screen on the front.

One that sticks out on the BBC is "Citadel" which had a Digitised picture and speech.

Also (NOT 8 BIT I KNOW) but Playstation Tekken and ridge Racer which let you play a level of galaxian and galaga while the game loaded up. Also if you got a good score on them it gave you extras in the actual main game.

Finally (Also not 8 bit) A500 Barbarian 2, mentioned this on another thread, excellent bit in middle of loading where a Demonic voice says "Insert Disc Two" and then a laughing skeleton comes on the screen.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

K-J N.

Re:

Post by K-J N. » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:07 am

Mayhem wrote:For a time... I have Frank Bruno's Boxing and Commando with it on, but the loading music for Airwolf was something different, the name of which escapes me at the moment (something well known though).
Yeah I remember that. The Airwolf loader tune was a cover of A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One, you can find it in the HVSC as Novaload_04. Did any other game use this tune?

fgasking

Re:

Post by fgasking » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:08 am

K-J N. wrote:
Mayhem wrote:For a time... I have Frank Bruno's Boxing and Commando with it on, but the loading music for Airwolf was something different, the name of which escapes me at the moment (something well known though).
The Airwolf loader tune was a cover of A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One, you can find it in the HVSC as Novaload_04. Did any other game use this tune?
"Super Gran" by Tynesoft I think....
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:14 am

fgasking wrote:
K-J N. wrote:
The Airwolf loader tune was a cover of A Policeman's Lot is not a Happy One, you can find it in the HVSC as Novaload_04. Did any other game use this tune?
Diabolical game!

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:43 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
One that sticks out on the BBC is "Citadel" which had a Digitised picture and speech.
If I remember the speech went something like (puts on robot voice) 'cit-a-del, cit-a-del, CIT-A-DEL'.

Citadel, Castle of Riddles and Starship Command were the games my best friend and I used to play all the time on his BBC. And of course Kingdom, which came free on the Welcome tape. I was also jealous that I couldn't get Sim City on tape for my C64, but he could for his BBC.

That's one thing I miss about PC emulation - the loading tunes and screens. I know that I would get impatient waiting for games to load these days, but some of those pictures and tunes would bring back some great memories.

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:25 am

on the zx spectrum i liked the loader for paperboy, it had multicolored loading lines (most loaders on the spectrum only had two colours).

and the games from firebird, the way they loaded was thougeout the loading the loading lines would constantly change colour blue/cyan then red/yellow.
Press play on tape

polomint

Re:

Post by polomint » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

fgasking wrote:
K-J N. wrote:
Wow, Supergran... now there's a game and tv program i never expected to come up in conversation again, lol

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Nonterraqueous.

TWO loading screens!

Now that's what I call class...
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:39 am

forestville wrote:on the zx spectrum i liked the loader for paperboy, it had multicolored loading lines (most loaders on the spectrum only had two colours).

and the games from firebird, the way they loaded was thougeout the loading the loading lines would constantly change colour blue/cyan then red/yellow.
Super Hang-On on speccy also had multi-coloured lines at the mid section of loading!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:26 am

Intro The Eagles Nest had a great loading screen-filled in from the edges
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"