The best 8-bit loader

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

beesty

The best 8-bit loader

Post by beesty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm here again all.

Right here's one for you all.
What is your favourite 8-bit loader.
Mine was the Delta loader in which you made up music from a number of pre-selected riffs,melodies,drums and bass.
I even stopped the tape to just mess around and come up with the best tune I could muster.
Lets here everyone else's best 8-bit loader as there was a lot to choose from.
Cheers Beesty.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Ish

Post by Ish » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 pm

Mine was my disc drive :P
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

beesty

Post by beesty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:30 pm

:D
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm

I'll have to pick three: Ocean loader, Rambo and Sanxion.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:00 pm

any game that had those games you played while the real game loaded (amidar and space invaders)

any loading screen by Bob Stevenson

Master of magic

Dragon's Lair - did not that load the next level as you were playing the previous one?

Fist II - the way it screamed at you when the loading screen displayed

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 am

Funnily enough, I mentioned loading systems in my interview with Stephen Robertson (In the Chair, RG20).

One that impressed me was the "universal" question tape for Trivial Pursuits - one tape that could work on C64, Spectrum and Amstrad. Quite complicated when you consider the graphic/music questions. It also allowed you to add more questions, in the same way you could buy more cards for the board game.

And as kaiser said, the Dragon's Lair (C64) loader that loaded the next level while you played the current one. From a technical point of view, a real achievement.

One I hated - PAVLODA from Melbourne House. When my Datasette was on its last legs, I'd literally have to hold down the play key to get Pavloda games to work...

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:41 am

Delta Mix-e-load (?) for me too. Although I have to admit every time I loaded it I just set it to the same tune, because I'd found a firm favourite :D

Jax

Post by Jax » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 am

Invade-a-load 8) inspired we to shoehorn my own version onto the boot sector of an Amiga disk :lol: It looked basic (black & white) no sound but it worked

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 am

Changing the subject slightly, the worst loader was the US Gold Novaload with the Stars 'N' Stripes Music - That really got on my nerves!

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 am

Technician Ted for me. My friend's dad got hold of a 'copy', and we got to play it that night. We did not know what to expect, and to suddenly see the little Teds walking to and fro about the screen gave us convulsions of excitement. We tried to 'race' them due their variable speeds.

Perhaps the nadir of all sadness, when the game loaded, we reset it and reloaded it, just for another 4 minutes of walking Teds.

Kudos to the playable Galaga in PSX Ridge Racer, also.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:47 am

LeeT wrote:Changing the subject slightly, the worst loader was the US Gold Novaload with the Stars 'N' Stripes Music - That really got on my nerves!
Was that the one that played loads of different US tunes and scrolled along the bottom other US Gold games that you could buy, telling you a little bit about them?

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:20 am

revgiblet wrote:
LeeT wrote:Changing the subject slightly, the worst loader was the US Gold Novaload with the Stars 'N' Stripes Music - That really got on my nerves!
Was that the one that played loads of different US tunes and scrolled along the bottom other US Gold games that you could buy, telling you a little bit about them?
I thought it was just a continuation of the Stars 'N' Stripes music..but yes that seems to be the one! :)

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:28 am

Actually, I think I've got a bit confused. The scrolling text about other titles is from the Broderbund loading screens - while I was waiting for Archon to load I was being taunted with the games I didn't own like Mail Order Monsters and Raid on Bungling Bay.

The US Gold one definitely had more than one tune though - they were all patriotic American jingles.

marksims68

Post by marksims68 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:30 pm

Anyone remember the loader for Commando on the C64???

Brilliant music if I remember, oh and Delta's mix-e-load was superb too.......

On the Speccy it has to be Jet Set Willy, I learned to know the loading rasp and knew when the game would finish loading, sad I know..........

BTw this is my first post, YAAAAAAAAY!!!

Mark.
Favourite game of all time - Atic Atac.

Favourite language - 6502.

Favourite console - Sega Dreamcast.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Had a soft spot for the original US Gold loader - a nice selection of tunes and the 'coming soon' was always intersting to read.

Apart from that one it's the 'Invade-a-Loads'. Always fun, and on more than one occasion more fun than the game. :D
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"