Best MAME Shmups ?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: Best MAME Shmups ?

Post by the_hawk » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Being a fan of early 90's horizontal scrollers that were also Megadrive games, I'd recommend Thunder Force AC, Hellfire & Zero Wing.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:32 pm

cant beat DoDonpachi. best MAME shmup bar none.

but damnit i want to play Deathsmiles 2 and i dont have a 360. there aren't any decent 30 emu's availbale yet are there. I WANT IT.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 am

Nebulus Ray is one of my faves.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 am

I don't play much Cave stuff as it's too-much bullet-dodging for me. I can just about cope with the bullet storms of Psikyo's shoot-em-ups. Most of these are vertical, but the few horizontal ones are awesome. They typically have a neat way of giving you a choice of characters and then presenting the first few levels in a different order. You also can use your smart bombs strategically as they have the side-effect of wiping away the enemy fire.

Gunbird and Gunbird 2 are classic Psikyo vertical shooters, where you can see your cartoony pirate enemies running along the ground to board their giant vehicles for some epic multi-stage boss battles.

Tengai is also from them, a horizontal scrolling mix of ancient and futuristic japanese stylings, with levitating characters and weird flying contraptions. It also has the most bizarre power-up weapons supplied by animal familiars and activated by hold+charge of the fire button, like one girl accompanied by a levitating, chain-smoking, fire-breathing lemur.

Giga Wing (can't remember the manufacturer) has a neat strategic mechanism in the form of a temporary shield, that whilst you're charging it, deflects enemy bullets back at the craft that fired them, triggering the release of masses of collectable bonus tokens. So at times you're dodging, and at other times you're deliberately hurling yourself into the path of the thickest bullet streams. It also has ludicrous 16-digit scores.

Progear (is that one of Cave's?) is a shoot-em-up with lots of bullets and a small hit-box, and separate choice of pilot (plane/main weapon) and gunner (secondary weapon) and beautiful Miyazaki-style backgrounds and aircraft.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri May 06, 2011 5:46 am

Varth is quite a nice little game. It's just another vertically scrolling plane shoot-'em-up along 1942/Flying Shark lines, and I wouldn't claim that it is a stone cold classic like many of the games mentioned on this thread. But it's quite accessible and worth a look I think.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 am

You mean arcade shmups? You may as well ask what are the greatest shmups of all time!

I've always loved the Gradius series. I recently discovered Darius by Taito with it's super widescreen presentation. It's a pretty cool game and it looks amazing, even today.

Another vote for the Capcom's 19xx series. They start out fairly sedate with 1942 and then just get better and better.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri May 06, 2011 8:37 am

Guwange. Just discovered this a month or two ago. Looks awesome - really interesting look to it.

However, I use Final Burn Alpha to play it on the original Xbox.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am

joefish wrote: Tengai is also from them, a horizontal scrolling mix of ancient and futuristic japanese stylings, with levitating characters and weird flying contraptions. It also has the most bizarre power-up weapons supplied by animal familiars and activated by hold+charge of the fire button, like one girl accompanied by a levitating, chain-smoking, fire-breathing lemur.
Great game, similar appeal to Forgotten Worlds or Sidearms but with fatter tech. The Lemur was awesome too.

Galaga 88
Ketsui
Tatsujin
Raiden
Dimahoo
DoDonPachi
Aero Blasters

are all cool.

And you cant go wrong with Gradius 1/2, R-Type 1/Leo. Aero Blasters etc etc etc.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri May 06, 2011 11:27 am

I'm also quite partial to a couple of flawed also-rans.
Twin Eagle: Revenge Joe's Brother is a vertical helicopter shoot-em-up with ground troops, towers, trees and houses as destructable as tanks and other helicopters, then turbo dogfight sections. It's mostly notable for its noisy synthesised guitar soundtrack, but the game is playable.

Trigon is a pretty good Raiden-wannabe with a fantastic 'Dragon Laser' super-weapon effect. There is a second, less effective, beam super-weapon. So a big part of the play mechanic is hanging around as the pickup alternates between the two, to get the right one.

What is odd is, I'm sure we used to play this as an arcade game at Uni in 2-player co-op mode, and there was an extra beam weapon you could get that was strung between the two ships. But MAME doesn't seem to want to support two players.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 am

joefish wrote: What is odd is, I'm sure we used to play this as an arcade game at Uni in 2-player co-op mode, and there was an extra beam weapon you could get that was strung between the two ships. But MAME doesn't seem to want to support two players.
The World/US version, Lightning Fighters, has some changes regarding the two-player mode, so you might want to try that.
C=Style wrote: Armed Police Batrider
Seconding this over averything else, it's excellent stuff.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 pm

stvd wrote:Guwange. Just discovered this a month or two ago. Looks awesome - really interesting look to it.

Assume you know this but just in case not - Guwange is available on Xbox Live arcade..

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Mootown wrote:
stvd wrote:Guwange. Just discovered this a month or two ago. Looks awesome - really interesting look to it.

Assume you know this but just in case not - Guwange is available on Xbox Live arcade..

Yeah, I did know that but, apparently, you have to pay for it! :shock:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri May 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Not Mame, but inspired by good few of the classics on there:

Try tracking down Retrogamers: 'The Ultimate 2D Shoot-Em-Up Collection' (50 old Skool blasts from the past)

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Sun May 08, 2011 4:32 am

thesubcon3 wrote:Salamander 2 is a personal fav of mine. Sequel to Life Force on the NES which is known as Salamander in Japan.
"I'M GOING TO SCARE YOU LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN SCARED BEFORE!!!"
:lol:

Seriously though, I LOVE that game. One of my fav MAME SHMUPS. I'd like to play it 2-player someday.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:59 am

Reglan wrote:
thesubcon3 wrote:Salamander 2
I'd like to play it 2-player someday.
This might interest you then:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=28413
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.