Guardian Heroes coming on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrogarden

Re: Guardian Heroes coming on XBLA

Post by retrogarden » Fri May 06, 2011 5:15 am

Abso-chuffing-lutely marvellous :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:18 am

Well, wasn't that impressed when I played it at a few of the events, but maybe sitting down, all on my own, and "getting to know" it a bit more will change my mind.

So yeah, good news.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:Those screenshots look a mess. They aren't new HD graphics - you can see quite clearly that it's the old graphics shoved through one of those smoothing algorithms like Scale 2x. I've used it on Advance MAME and it sounds quite good in theory but it actually ends up looking bad when you've got contrasting colours close together because basically instead of jaggy lines you get slightly smoother but very noticeably wobbly looking lines. It looks pretty shabby and to claim that they are "new" HD graphics is a joke. They would be better off just releasing it with the old graphics than trying to pass off this halfway house as something they've actually put an effort into doing when all they've done is shove the old graphics through an algorithm.
This was exactly my reaction. Why the f**k do they stick with using these filters that smear the graphics all over the place, it looks f**king awful.

I was chuffed to bits reading that this was getting a port, it really is a great game, then I saw the screenshots....ruined.

Its simplicity itself to give the option to run without filters, or they could add a simple bilinear filter to soften the edges of the pixels instead which retains the original look and just does away with the hard pixellised look that SD graphics get on an HD display.

Gutted. Another classic re-release that's gone from a must buy to a won't buy if there's no option to disable the downgraded visuals.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 am

You will find that the creen filter can be switched off.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 am

Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 am

The chances are It's still gonna look like arse compared to the original. I only say that because it is such an amazing looking game through RGB at 60hz on a decent CRT, almost breathtaking due to the huge sprites, use of colour and clarity. Treasure hopefully realises this themselves and will make adjustments like add a scanline filter or something for classic mode.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 pm

C=Style wrote:The chances are It's still gonna look like arse compared to the original. I only say that because it is such an amazing looking game through RGB at 60hz on a decent CRT, almost breathtaking due to the huge sprites, use of colour and clarity. Treasure hopefully realises this themselves and will make adjustments like add a scanline filter or something for classic mode.
Hope so. It would be nice to finally see one of these re-releases break the mould and get a release with some video options that are sensitive to the look of the original game. The necessary filters and techniques have been in use in most emulators for years so its perplexing that they never include them.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 pm

I've just stuck the game in my saturn going through my 14in Sony Trinitron.Looks bleeding great.No need for me to buy updated version.

dste

Post by dste » Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 am

I was lucky to get this with my Saturn when I picked one up a year odd ago, only played it briefly when testing the console but did really enjoy what I played.

Will have to go and play through it now.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 am

felgekarp wrote:I didn't really see what all the fuss was about with this either, mind you I've only had a quickish go on it so maybe it's one of those games that either grows on you or gets better later on.
You played it around my house with Oli_Lar, neither of you seemed impressed with it, was quite expensive to buy too!

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sat May 07, 2011 3:45 pm

i got this included with the saturn i bought off a mate, never thought it was that great to be completely honest, it is fun but very repetitive after a while, some good banter in there and fun with mates but still not too sure why its still pretty expensive, would love to see proper HD updates of other saturn games, Die Hard Arcade would be great

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Does anyone know what Guardian Heroes Advance is like?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 07, 2011 8:59 pm

A bit arse. Way to much slowdown and it plays a lot differently

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Sun May 08, 2011 4:04 am

I was JUST listening to the soundtrack to this game a few days ago (which is AWESOME, BTW). Talk about ironic. I've been wanting to play this game.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 am

DPrinny wrote:A bit arse. Way to much slowdown and it plays a lot differently
Oh right, ok cheers. Didn't think it would be as good as the Saturn version.

I wonder if they will "fix" the slowdown in the XBLA game?