Guardian Heroes coming on XBLA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DPrinny

Guardian Heroes coming on XBLA

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 05, 2011 4:45 pm

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the upcoming re-release of Guardian Heroes™, a classic Action-RPG Brawler by celebrated developers Treasure. Originally released for the SEGA Saturn™ in 1996, Guardian Heroes has been re-mastered with enhanced graphics, online co-op and battle modes, all-new modes of play, and more. The game will be available via Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this fall.

“Ever since we began to make SEGA’s classic Dreamcast and the Mega Drive titles available for modern systems, the fan response has been overwhelming – and the demand for their favorite games has been pouring in,” said Haruki Satomi, VP of Digital Business at SEGA. “Players have been clamoring for this treasured favorite from the Saturn days, and we cannot wait to show them what we have got for them.”

Guardian Heroes brings the Saturn favorite to life with new HD graphics, presenting Treasure’s iconic fast-paced gameplay on a new generation of hardware, with all of the convenience of purchase via instant download. The game also features:

Action-RPG Brawling: Choose one of five heroes to level up and guide along a branching storyline with five different endings
Friends, Foes, and Fighters: Play the game’s Story Mode alone or with a second player, or challenge Versus Mode with up to 12 players at once
Extended Gameplay: Time Attack Mode, Arcade Mode, Arrange Mode and more allow players to explore every nuance of 45 different fighters
Fully Re-Mastered: All-new graphics and visual effects bring the classic to life in a completely high-definition, widescreen presentation
Screens
[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]

http://www.1up.com/news/guardian-heroes ... ive-arcade

Just hope that now they are going to port more Saturn games across
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

snowkatt

Re: Guardian Heroes coming on XBLA

Post by snowkatt » Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 pm

i couldnt give a rats ass about guardian heroes one of the most over rated games this side of chrono trigger
but this is stil good news hopefully more saturn ports will follow
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Another game you dont like then.
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu May 05, 2011 5:12 pm

Brilliant news! Always wanted to play Guardian Heroes & it looks like I will get my chance :)
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

thl

Post by thl » Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I can only remembered the screenshots in an issue of Mean Machine Sega, but never play it back then. Surley this will be a boost for those who're familiar with it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 pm

snowkatt wrote:i couldnt give a rats ass about guardian heroes one of the most over rated games this side of chrono trigger
but this is stil good news hopefully more saturn ports will follow
Too funny! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I didn't really see what all the fuss was about with this either, mind you I've only had a quickish go on it so maybe it's one of those games that either grows on you or gets better later on.
Splink!

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm

I've played the game when I had a Saturn but my biggest regrets is passing up buying it brand new from Electronic Boutique for only £10. Remember Dixons had Symphony of the Night for only £20 around the same time to.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

“Players have been clamoring for this treasured favorite from the Saturn days"
Ah, that familiar line that's spun every time a company wants to squeeze another piece of old IP out of its arse to make an easy buck or two. It smells cheesier than actual cheese.

We believe you SEGA, no really we do. :roll:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

You lot moan about anything :) Its not as if its sonic or super mario for the umpteenth time, I'll be getting it, hopefully online co-op too.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 pm

I think it's nice fan service for sure.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm playing through this right now! I guess it's good news ... but it will always remain better on the Saturn. :wink: I'm lying a bit when I say it's good news haha, I hate how all the decent Saturn exclusives are being whored out to XBLA. What's next?.. Burning Rangers? :roll:

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Those screenshots look a mess. They aren't new HD graphics - you can see quite clearly that it's the old graphics shoved through one of those smoothing algorithms like Scale 2x. I've used it on Advance MAME and it sounds quite good in theory but it actually ends up looking bad when you've got contrasting colours close together because basically instead of jaggy lines you get slightly smoother but very noticeably wobbly looking lines. It looks pretty shabby and to claim that they are "new" HD graphics is a joke. They would be better off just releasing it with the old graphics than trying to pass off this halfway house as something they've actually put an effort into doing when all they've done is shove the old graphics through an algorithm.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Brilliant news, will give it a go for sure.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:Those screenshots look a mess. They aren't new HD graphics - you can see quite clearly that it's the old graphics shoved through one of those smoothing algorithms like Scale 2x. I've used it on Advance MAME and it sounds quite good in theory but it actually ends up looking bad when you've got contrasting colours close together because basically instead of jaggy lines you get slightly smoother but very noticeably wobbly looking lines. It looks pretty shabby and to claim that they are "new" HD graphics is a joke. They would be better off just releasing it with the old graphics than trying to pass off this halfway house as something they've actually put an effort into doing when all they've done is shove the old graphics through an algorithm.
I thought a similar thing, it definitely looks ugly if those screenshots are anything to go by. You only need to look at the textures to see they've not touched them.