Everybody loves Famicom Disk System Box Art...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

timewarpgamer

Everybody loves Famicom Disk System Box Art...

Post by timewarpgamer » Sun May 01, 2011 10:27 am

...or not. Anyway, I just posted a new box art comparison feature, and I thought y'all might enjoy it. Not sure how many of you even care about the Famicom Disk System, but as an American gamer it gave me hope, realizing that not all U.S. boxes are strictly worse than the Japanese originals.

http://timewarpgamer.com/features/box_a ... s_nes.html
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

club

Re: Everybody loves Famicom Disk System Box Art...

Post by club » Sun May 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Kudos to you sir. A very interesting article, especially when the art used was similar like Zanac. The differences in box art was something that always attracted me to importing, though as you fairly point out, JP=better isn't *always* the case. Would love to see more of these, either comparisons of other systems (MD would be interesting as the layout to most Japanese titles seemed a lot more fluid compared to the rather standardized layout of a lot of early releases), or print advertising.

edit - just looked over your site proper and realise you already have :roll:

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am

club wrote:Kudos to you sir. A very interesting article, especially when the art used was similar like Zanac. The differences in box art was something that always attracted me to importing, though as you fairly point out, JP=better isn't *always* the case. Would love to see more of these, either comparisons of other systems (MD would be interesting as the layout to most Japanese titles seemed a lot more fluid compared to the rather standardized layout of a lot of early releases), or print advertising.

edit - just looked over your site proper and realise you already have :roll:
Alright! That's the first time I've ever been "Sir"ed in a formum. Sweet. I've already dreamed of being knighted one of these days...I see you've already found other box art comparisons on my site, but just in case you missed the easy way to find them all in one convenient place, there's a handy list here:

http://timewarpgamer.com/archives/main.html

Thanks for reading.
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Tue May 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Awesome article as always, Vinny!

Kinda sad to see the slow degradation of artwork from left to right :( Apart from Metroid which (the small box version) seems to stand out as the better one :) At least it's not as bad as the PC Engine/Turbografx JAP > US transitions *shudder*

club

Post by club » Tue May 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Nothing comes close to the sheer horror of Turbografx cover art. An article like this just compounds the fact with some good to decent JP covers. Uber cutesy anime style like Bikuriman World asie, I've never been able to understand why more of original artwork wasn't used for the titles. As the comparison points out often the compositions are similar, just that the US ones tend to be a badly drawn airbrushed mess. Look at Necratis/Miltary Madness. Why not just use the original illustration. Was it cheaper to pay someone to create an original illustration that pay for the rights to use the original? Were they not allowed the rights? WHY?

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Wed May 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Cauterize wrote:Awesome article as always, Vinny!

Kinda sad to see the slow degradation of artwork from left to right :( Apart from Metroid which (the small box version) seems to stand out as the better one :) At least it's not as bad as the PC Engine/Turbografx JAP > US transitions *shudder*
Thanks for the props. I totally agree on the Metroid art small box being the best of the bunch, and recently I learned that it's actually based on this Japanese flyer for the game:

http://disk-kun.com/node/88

Pretty cool to track down the original source of inspiration. The credit goes to a bloke in the Digit Press forums.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Really interesting read dude! I like your writing style too. An intelligent analysis with a few bits of humour thrown in too. Lovely stuff. Its made me want to take a closer look and compare my collections artwork to its foriegn counterparts.

I used to think that jap box art was nearly always better than the hollow, ugly designs we get over here but as youve shown, its not always the case.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Another classic from the Warper of Time! Is there anything you haven't covered yet?

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm

thesubcon3 wrote:Another classic from the Warper of Time! Is there anything you haven't covered yet?
Warper of Time, LOL. The amusing compliments continue—I love it! Well, in terms of the consoles that my site focuses on—more than enough to keep me busy—that covers it. In terms of my video game art curiosity in general, though, I can hardly stop there. Not only is there infinite room for part 2s, I've even thought of examining the esoteric topic of the art of CD-ROMs for the Mega CD, because there's quite a lot of variation across that medium as well. If you have any particular interests or requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

This is a little off topic, but I really want FDS system. How much should I pay for one?