Streets Of Rage or Final Fight

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: Streets Of Rage or Final Fight

Post by snowkatt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:25 am

GunstarHero wrote:Surley Final Fight must loose points for Final Fight Streetwise?
and streets of rage for being left to rot for nearly 20 years ?
at least final fight was still alive

and street wise wasnt half bad
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am

snowkatt wrote:
GunstarHero wrote:Surley Final Fight must loose points for Final Fight Streetwise?

Sega attempted rebooting or doing new instalments, did'nt they though? Was'nt core's fighting Force at one point offered up as new instalment? Plus Sega aborted DC? Or was it Saturn new instalment.

Swear there was footage doing the rounds on youtube.

Final Fight Streetwise-Original game creators had zero input in that one....and it showed.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am

snowkatt wrote:

UPDATE: The then 'Judgement Force' from Core (later Fighting Force' was looked at during the Beta stages as becoming SOR 4 on saturn-Idea abandoned.You then saw Sega trying again on DC-few concept vids doing the rounds.

Talks of bringing franchise to Xbox in 2001, again never got past concept stage.

2008:Concept doing rounds of:Streets Of Rage Online:PS3/360 etc.

Seems Sega just don't seem sure what'd work best in bringing series up to date.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:00 pm

snowkatt wrote:

I agree with this- I played through Streetwise over the course of a weekend and had quite a bit of fun with it, especially since after the first hour the game completely loses its mind and by the final section it turns into Zombie Revenge 2: Metro City Vs. Army of Darkness.

As for Final Fight versus Streets of Rage, I think they're equal, as (if we focus on the core games) both series have one excellent game (FF1/SOR2), one that's fairly good (FF3/SOR1) and one I'm not keen on (FF2/SOR3).
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

thevulture wrote:
snowkatt wrote:

UPDATE: The then 'Judgement Force' from Core (later Fighting Force' was looked at during the Beta stages as becoming SOR 4 on saturn-Idea abandoned.You then saw Sega trying again on DC-few concept vids doing the rounds.

Talks of bringing franchise to Xbox in 2001, again never got past concept stage.

2008:Concept doing rounds of:Streets Of Rage Online:PS3/360 etc.

Seems Sega just don't seem sure what'd work best in bringing series up to date.
well thats as maybe but they never were released as streets of rage or at all
capcom at least released streetwise which is not half bad
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Nemesis wrote:Final Fight for me definitely. The arcade original was/is superb in my eyes with it's big sprites & grimy locations. The villains were always the stars of the show & have also gone on to star in other Capcom fighters together with Cody & Guy. Although Haggar has been used more sparingly (Saturday Night Slam masters & Final Fight Revenge). Don't really share the SOR2 love though, as it doesn't seem to do much more that FF apart from additional special moves. The characters are much smaller too which can be explained by the fact that it was developed on a Megadrive rather than an arcade machine. Final Fight 3 expands the move set to SOR2 levels so the series remains number one for me.

I think why many people prefer SOR over FF is because;
1) They are Megadrive owners
2) because FF was developed on an Arcade machine any ports to less powerful consoles/computers hardware meant that some details/aspects were lost in the conversion process each time leading to an inferior version. (Although this only applies to the original game of course!)
I remember the first time I played Final fight in the arcades and I was blown away, it was a massive step up from other beat 'em ups around at that time with Double Dragon being the best one I'd played up until that point.

I agree with what you are saying, I think SOR2 is a great game, but it's the only real good game in the series so to an extent I think Streets of Rage as a series is overrated, where as Final Fight has seen many good games which got better with each sequel, in particular FF3 which is a really fun game.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 pm

felgekarp wrote:Can someone explain what I'm missing with Streets Of Rage then, especially with the second one, what does it offer me that Final Fight doesn't?
What you're "missing" (in quotes, because it's entirely dependent on whether you think it's actually a big deal or not) is Two Player Mode.

Back during the 16 Bit heyday local multiplayer was all the rage. There was no Internet to corrupt the youth (and allow all developers to move most of their multiplayer online - the wankers) so games that offered Two - or more - player options always ruled. Streets of Rage 2 was one of the first seriously enjoyable multiplayer non-versus games. Yes it had a basic Vs mode, but playing through the campaign in multiplayer was a lot of fun. Unfortunately the SNES Final Fight didn't allow this, so it was basically "Boring."

Since a lot of "Retro's" appeal comes from Memory Lane it's during these games' emergence that so endears (or repels) us to them. What memories do they evoke? What do these things say to you as a gamer? As an enthusiast? For me it reminds me of mammoth all-night sessions playing SoR 2 with my mates, using every combination of characters and difficulties. Something my SNES memories of Final Fight never had.

So, it's not actually about which series is "Better" but more about which series stimulates your nostalgic gland the most.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Freestyler wrote:Two Player Mode.
Indeed. Streets of Rage is like sex - kinda fun alone, but much better with a partner. Also, it finishes quickly and leaves you dissatisfied if you don't know what you're doing.

I don't know why people hate SOR3 - maybe you just haven't been exposed to the greatly superior Japanese version?
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:38 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
I don't know why people hate SOR3 - maybe you just haven't been exposed to the greatly superior Japanese version?
Personally speaking:After SOR 2 improved apon SOR so much, great use of a bigger cart, was hoping for similar improvements with No.3-sadly it felt like a few steps back in some departments.

Just been playing SOR 3 on The Sega MD collection (PS3).1st thing that hits home-Yuzo Koshiro's music, weakest in the series by far.Also game seems to lack the 'feel' of the 2nd game-1st end of level boss in SOR 2 was superbly done-Fighting barman and cronies in seedy alley, in the pouring rain.Here? nothing to match it.

Think it's case of dissapointment more than hate for SOR3-In it's own right? fine game, just maybe not the sequel some of us expected.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:48 pm

SoR3 felt a little too fussy for me. Like the section where you have to escape the digger.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Final Fight every time, I never got on with SOR. I always find FF way more satisfying.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Freestyler wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Can someone explain what I'm missing with Streets Of Rage then, especially with the second one, what does it offer me that Final Fight doesn't?
What you're "missing" (in quotes, because it's entirely dependent on whether you think it's actually a big deal or not) is Two Player Mode.
Sorry Freestyler but I have my pedant mode activated. FF was a 2 player game as many arcade dwellers will know. As I mentioned previously, FF was compromised when ported over to less powerful hardware such as the SNES & Amiga. Pedant mode deactivated.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm

thevulture wrote:1st thing that hits home-Yuzo Koshiro's music, weakest in the series by far.
I disagree with your opinion, but it's just that - an opinion, so I don't really have anything to say for this point. However:
thevulture wrote:Also game seems to lack the 'feel' of the 2nd game-1st end of level boss in SOR 2 was superbly done-Fighting barman and cronies in seedy alley, in the pouring rain.Here? nothing to match it.
Again, the Japanese version:

I think a massively "flamboyant" boss fight beats any old barman.

EDIT: Not to mention - he's playable too!
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 pm

The problem with a lot of the music in the 3rd game is that it sounded nasty due to the MD sound chip.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:59 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:[I don't know why people hate SOR3 - maybe you just haven't been exposed to the greatly superior Japanese version?
My main beef with SoR 3 is the absurd speed and difficulty level. I've later come to realise that the port we got was sufficiently different from it's original iteration (US Normal mode is Japanese Hard mode for instance, not to mention character substitution) that it's almost a different game. Some of the harder US modes have the bad guys easily killing you in two hits, for example. Plus they always get priority on attacks, making play virtually impossible.
Nemesis wrote:
Freestyler wrote:What you're "missing" (in quotes, because it's entirely dependent on whether you think it's actually a big deal or not) is Two Player Mode.
Sorry Freestyler but I have my pedant mode activated. FF was a 2 player game as many arcade dwellers will know. As I mentioned previously, FF was compromised when ported over to less powerful hardware such as the SNES & Amiga. Pedant mode deactivated.
Yeah, which is why I was only commenting on the home console versions of each. Those with access to an arcade could play it to their hearts (and wallets) content. :lol:

Had the SNES version managed to cram in a two player mode (larger cart maybe? Definitely more Mbits could have included Guy) then that would have been superb. Plus kudos to Capcom for releasing Final Fight Guy which included everyone's favourite Ninja along with re-arranged baddies.

SoR 2 is the best game, but the best series is Final Fight. Even more-so if you get the Arcade/PS2/etc. versions.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.