SNK volume 0 PSP

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nemerodius

SNK volume 0 PSP

Post by nemerodius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 am

Has anyone picked it up yet ? Checked on ebay and the cheapest I could see it for was £52.00 !!
Nintendo id.....alandd.

famicom69

Re: SNK volume 0 PSP

Post by famicom69 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 am

It's on the list. £52 though? Sod that. Asian/Jap versions are way cheaper on Play-Asia but alas...

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am

famicom69 wrote:It's on the list. £52 though? Sod that. Asian/Jap versions are way cheaper on Play-Asia but alas...
Yeah, thought it was a bit steep mate.
Nintendo id.....alandd.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 pm

[raises eyebrows] £52?
I'm gonna stick with vol. 1, thanks.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Is that a European Release going for that price?

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 pm

James A wrote:Is that a European Release going for that price?
Jap version. Ikari warriors and the two sequels looks bloody tempting. But £50 ?!
An asian version is going for £20, from Korea..
Nintendo id.....alandd.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:23 pm

I have it good collection of games I particularly like Psycho Soldier.. Only problem I have with it is the loading for example on Gurillia Wars just before the 1st level boss it pauses to load, same with Psycho Soldier and a few later.. The other problem I have is with the three Ikari Warrior Games and Tank using the 'L' and ''R' to rotate your gun is a bit fiddly
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:36 am

Shinobi wrote:I have it good collection of games I particularly like Psycho Soldier.. Only problem I have with it is the loading for example on Gurillia Wars just before the 1st level boss it pauses to load, same with Psycho Soldier and a few later.. The other problem I have is with the three Ikari Warrior Games and Tank using the 'L' and ''R' to rotate your gun is a bit fiddly
Shinobi, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you buy it for and from where ?
Nintendo id.....alandd.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:33 am

Shame the original Vanguard isn't on it.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri May 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Lord Innit wrote:Shame the original Vanguard isn't on it.
Vanguard will be getting a separate PS3/PSP Minis release instead, if the ESRB is to be trusted.

My copy arrived today from eBay, for £20 (cheap because it's a 'Korea Only' version, but I wasn't paying £30+ for this, as much as I like SNK). This particular collection was ported by G1M2, who have done a few collections (mostly SNK PS2 stuff and Data East Arcade Classics) so they're fairly experienced in this field. Here's what I reckon:

Good things:
* Some great games on here, most notably Psycho Soldier, Prehistoric Isle in 1930s, T.A.N.K, SAR - Search and Rescue, Guerilla War, and the whole Ikari Warriors series, several of which haven't been ported until now.
* The rotary joystick games have two control schemes- Manual (use L/R or buttons of your choice to change aiming) or Auto (Commando-style control where you can only aim in the direction you're facing). A bit fiddly for some, but on Manual they work pretty well.
* The vertical screen games look surprisingly good on the PSP screen, even on the default (squashed) screen setting. Rotating your PSP is a bit awkward, though.
* There's an art gallery (which mostly contains bezel/marquee art) and sound test, both of which are available from the start.

Bad points:
* The ratio of good-to-rubbish is weaker than other retro collections- Sasuke Vs. Commander, HAL 21 and Super Champion Baseball in particular are a bit rubbish. Some of the games are an acquired taste too (Athena in particular).
* The games will come to a sudden halt whenever they have to load a new music track, which is incredibly off-putting- I want to believe my PSP is on the way out and it's not as bad on other models, but it halts for at least a few seconds which is shockingly bad. They're shortened once you've played a game one or two times in one session, but return when you load a different game.
* Obvious things missing, like dip-switch settings (default options are all you get) and high-score saving (you can make a save-state to save scores, though)

Other points:
* The manual is based on the Neo-Geo AES box design, and the monkey from the Neo-Geo CD appears on the loading screen! Also, the manual is chock-full of artwork.
* These are the Japanese releases, so no English version of the Psycho Soldier song, and none of the fantastic English voices in Victory Road/Dogosoken ("WARRIORS! SHOW SOME GUTS!" "COME ON, LET'S FIGHT!")

So it's nearly great. There are some very worthy games on here, but those missing options and mid-game pauses are the major faults against it. I wouldn't recommend paying £52 for it, but £20 sounds more like it.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community