first game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Re: first game

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:18 am

First ever game played was some telly plug-in thing with paddles (Pong) of my uncle's (about 1984).

The first computer I owned was a Spectrum and the first game loaded that fateful Christmas morning was Space Raiders (1984 or 85).
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 am

mine was on the commodore 64. however, i can't remember which of the following it was, because my dad got them all at very similar times:

Wizard of Wor/Seawolf/Facemaker/Spirates/Snowmen

i would imagine it would have been one of the first two cartridges, since they were quicker to load!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 am

Can't exactly remember, one mate had a Pong/lightgun game and another had a ZX81 which I've played on at somepoint, whilst someone else had a Vic-20 before I owned a system which I think I played once, and then there's the coin-ops. My first gaming experience could be on anything.

I acquired my first microcomputer, a Commodore 16 in christmas 84, so the first game I played on microcomputers was Xzap, but the first game I bought may have been Roller Kong. I know that these wasn't the first ever games I played though.

I remember my own first gaming system was a Radofin MPU1000 Acetronic which I had for around 2 years until the casing melted.
So the first console game was Invaders, but this came free with the system, but I also had Grand Prix and Air.Sea Attack which I recieved seperate along with the console and free game.

I probably recieved from my grandparents around the same time I recieved my Acetronic console one of these.

Basically it's Galaxians, but with an optional 2-player mode where the 2nd player gets to be the enemy. This was a great game 8) but still probably not the first ever.

It was so long ago now it's hard to remember, it may equally well have even Space Invaders or Breakout whilst on holiday in the arcades back in the 1970's, it's just a case of take your pick for me :?
Last edited by Sixteen Plus on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:50 am

Would have been one of those Amsoft games bundled with the Amstrad CPC with "NOT FOR RESALE" all over them - 'Roland on the Ropes' I reckon.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am

Can only remember the first game I owned - scuba dive on spectrum 48k.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

actually, are we counting LED games? As that yellow Galaxy Invader 1000 LED game, was then my first game. And very good it was too. :D

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am

I believe the first game i played was 'Flimbos Quest' on the Commodore 64, it came with the system on the cartridge with International Soccer, Fiendish Freddys Big Top O Fun and Klax. But the first stand alone game i bought was i believe creatures for the commodore 64, and to this day its still one of my all time favourite games.

But i do actually remember having a Pac Man handheld before this, but i have no idea who made it, it was quite large, and black and yellow and ate batteries like no tommorrow,
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 pm

slayer6000 wrote:I believe the first game i played was 'Flimbos Quest' on the Commodore 64, it came with the system on the cartridge with International Soccer, Fiendish Freddys Big Top O Fun and Klax. But the first stand alone game i bought was i believe creatures for the commodore 64, and to this day its still one of my all time favourite games.
What a shame, you should've brushed aside the C64GS console and just bought a real C64 :(

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:
slayer6000 wrote:I believe the first game i played was 'Flimbos Quest' on the Commodore 64, it came with the system on the cartridge with International Soccer, Fiendish Freddys Big Top O Fun and Klax. But the first stand alone game i bought was i believe creatures for the commodore 64, and to this day its still one of my all time favourite games.
What a shame, you should've brushed aside the C64GS console and just bought a real C64 :(

It was a real 64,it wasnt the games System (GS) that your thinking of, was the C64c, the cartridges slotted into the back of it
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

guv859

Post by guv859 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

I won't count games on tapes such as Space Invaders clones, so it was either World Cup Italia 90 or F22 Interceptor for the Mega Drive. I bought a MD with those two games, and knowing me I would have tried the football game first. Not a very iconic beginning.

I would have had Sonic 1 in the MD box, but I would have played that last, not understanding how good it was. That was well before I developed an interest in anything platformy.
Bye

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Probably Sonic 2 on the Master System. It was also the first game I completed.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

That would be Gun Fight by Midway in 1975 on St Annes Pier !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:41 pm

!978/79 The grandstand !!
Nintendo id.....alandd.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 pm

first game played is hard to remember,probably something on my brothers spectrum most likely manic miner or jet pac.
first owned a pac man clone on a tandy.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm not sure. It was the '70s, and was either a hand held LCD, a table top LED or a plug-in-to-a-TV Pong game. Whichever was out first. Or maybe an arcade game.

After those it will have been a ZX-81 game or a PET Game.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V