Cheats engrained in your memory

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: Cheats engrained in your memory

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 pm

thl wrote:Quite a lot of cheats that I came across over the years:

Double Dragon (SMS)
To get infinite continues, at the start of Mission 4, perform at least 30 jumping spin kicks.

Enduro Racer (SMS)
On the title screen, press Up, Down, Left, Right until the digit appears on the right hand side. This allows Round Select.

Space Harrier (SMS)
On the title screen, press Right, Left, Down, Up and you go to the Sound Test. To access the Option Menu, enter the following in the Sound Test: 7, 4, 3, 7, 4, 8 and then exit. This allows you to change the difficulty level, control and switching between human and jet plane.

When the 'Game Over' screen appears, press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Down, Up, Up to allow you to continue the game. It can be done at least five times.

Street Fighter II: The World Warriors (SNES)
When the 'Capcom' logo screen appears, use the second control pad and press Down, R, Up, L, Y, B and you'll hear the sound to confirm the entry. The background of the title screen turns blue and it allows you to play as the same character.

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES)
When the 'SFII Turbo' logo screen appears, use the second control pad and press Down, R, Up, L, Y, B and you'll hear the sound to confirm the entry. You can increase the game speed to the maximum of 10 stars.

TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES)
To play as Rat King and Karai in Vs Battle, at the title screen, use the second control pad and press X, Up, Y, Left, B, Down, A, Right, X, Up and you'll hear Aska's voice to confirm the entry.

Zool (Amiga)
Type GOLDFISH at the title screen until the blue flash appears. During the game, you can press any of the following key: (1) invincibility, (2) skip World, (3) skip Stage and (4) commit suicide.
IronMaidenRule wrote:D,U,L,L,A,R,D

Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

Mortal Kombat - MD , Opens up the cheat menu for blood!
The Cheat Menu for the Amiga version was done by typing DULLARDCHEATDULLARDCHEATDULLARDCHEATDULL at the Main Menu.
RetroMartin wrote:Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap - WE5T 10 and then 0 recurring all the way to the end - can't remember what it does - has the game 99% complete with just the last boss to fight I think?
It was WE5T 0NE at the password screen. It gives you all the armour pieces, swords, coins, fireballs, etc.
Wasn't there also a similar MK cheat for the Amiga that meant typing in the whole alphabet a few times?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:09 pm

nakamura wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:
SF2 SNES pseudo-champion edition - up R down L Y B at the Capcom logo.
Ironically that is wrong! :lol:

Down R Up L Y B
D'oh! - the fingers remember, the brain doesn't! :lol:

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 pm

As mentioned the Sonic 1,2 & 3 MD cheats although i tried for years literally to pull off the Sonic 3 one and could never get it to work. Also i always remember the password SLUGPACE on Lotus Turbo Challenge (MD) Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! :lol:
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
nakamura wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:
SF2 SNES pseudo-champion edition - up R down L Y B at the Capcom logo.
Ironically that is wrong! :lol:

Down R Up L Y B
D'oh! - the fingers remember, the brain doesn't! :lol:
sometimes I could nail that cheat first attempt, other days it meant multiple resets :?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:34 am

It's the timing, and that sliding motion you have to do from Y to B.

NRGuk

Post by NRGuk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:16 pm

I am so glad that this one hasn't been said. It is my time to shine!

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on the Sega Saturn -

On the title screen press - C,R,A,Z,Y,C,Y,R,A,X

This will unlock all characters and goodies galore. On the cube to select what you want to go to press up to reveal a ? .... This is the special menu! Enjoy!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun May 01, 2011 10:50 am

Cake
Hammer
Earth
Apple
Tap

James Pond 2's invincibility cheat. You have to collect pickups in that order. I guess it explains why a fish in a robocop outfit would collect hammers, taps and globes. I wonder which came first - the pickups or the cheat?

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun May 01, 2011 11:16 am

sirclive1 wrote:6031769 - manic miner level select cheat .
Yep, and WRITETYPER (when stood between the stairs an dthe hole in the Main Stairway) on Jet Set Willy.
HRME2 and 2MQL3, level passwords for Wheelie for the Spectrum.

I also remember some PS1 ones - particularly the original Formula One. Where Left=L, Circle=C or O, Square=S, etc., the codes all spelt out phrases, like LOUD DROSS to make the Murray Walker commentary come out with hilariously random phrases.

Then there was _QAK on the brilliant Rapid Racer, to turn all the boats into giant, quacking rubber ducks.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 01, 2011 11:21 am

Down - Right Shoulder - Up - Left Shoulder - Y - B - X - A, during Capcom logo at start up

Street Fighter 2 SNES, can't remember what it done, I think change costumes and allow 2p vs same character. Also worked on SF Turbo but it took away special moves, bet Capcom had a good laugh over that one.

Super Monaco GP on Megadrive - finish the Monaco GP Wet Condition race in 1st place and when you are approaching the finish line, run over the man waving the flag and quickly hold ABC + start and you will see a picture of yourself holding your own head instead of the Cup. What drugs Sega were on when they thought of that I have no idea, but I can't help myself from doing this cheat every time I play the game ha.

Miguel007

Post by Miguel007 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Donkey Kong Country: B, A, R, R, A, L and D, Y, D, D, Y - both tap out codes at the main menu if I recall for 50 lives and to play all the Animal Bonus Rounds.

Super Mario Kart: L, R, L, R, L, L, R, R, A - unlocks all levels in Time Trial mode from the beginning.

I still to this very day tap these out when I'm watching cutscenes / waiting for games to start on the SNES - it's like some sort of illness! :lol:

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 pm

1G0TP1NK8C1DB00TS0N. It's a cheat code for Alien vs Predator on, I think, the PC. I've no idea what it does. I've never even played the game. I read it in a magazine or something and it just got wedged in there. Perhaps it's blocking out some other horrible memory I've forced myself to forget.

Could never figure out what the 8C1D bit means.

Other than that, I still remember most of the cheat codes I used on the Megadrive, especially all of the Sonic ones. Can't remember a single Doom one, and I played Final Doom to death with all those codes activated.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm

The Only Neat Thing To Do - Back To The Future Part II on the Amiga. Not a great game, but for some reason it's stuck in my brain for 20 years.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun May 01, 2011 3:39 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:JAMMMMM

Oh and ...---... (which never seemed to work)

Anyone remember which games these were from (the second is a lot tougher to get than the first)
The first one is for Batman: The Movie on the Amiga. The title screen turned upside down if you did it right.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Lezzer

Post by Lezzer » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:JAMMMMM

Oh and ...---... (which never seemed to work)

Anyone remember which games these were from (the second is a lot tougher to get than the first)
The second one is Weird Dreams on the ST/Amiga. I remember you had to enter it while halfway through one of the mirrors.
I can't for the life of me remember what it did though. It changed one of the icons to an infinity symbol I think.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Dunjohn wrote:1G0TP1NK8C1DB00TS0N. It's a cheat code for Alien vs Predator on, I think, the PC. I've no idea what it does. I've never even played the game. I read it in a magazine or something and it just got wedged in there. Perhaps it's blocking out some other horrible memory I've forced myself to forget.
Alien Trilogy, on the Playstation; 'I GOT PINK ACID BOOTS ON'. I think someone already mentioned it. Excellently atmospheric Doom type shooter, with loads of classic Alien touches like little details coming out of the dark fogging that could be an alien, or might just be another bit of pipe. Or flickering lights that let the aliens sneak up on you like Dr Who's Weeping Angels. Or glass you accidentally shoot and let trapped aliens out. Let down a bit by an occasionally silly switch/door puzzle, where you can find a switch but the 'door' is a concealed bit of scenery that moves and closes again before you notice.