Cheats engrained in your memory

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Cheats engrained in your memory

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:48 pm

JAMMMMM

Oh and ...---... (which never seemed to work)

Anyone remember which games these were from (the second is a lot tougher to get than the first)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:51 pm

D,U,L,L,A,R,D

Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

Mortal Kombat - MD , Opens up the cheat menu for blood!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Chuck Rock on the Mega Drive: A B Right A C A Down A B Right A for level select.

Earthworm Jim on the Mega Drive: Pause the game, then Left+A, BBA, Right+A, BBA for the cheat screen.

Ristar on the Mega Drive: ILOVEU on the password screen for a level select.

Blood for the PC, type in LARA CROFT for all the weapons and invincibility.

Grand Theft Auto on the PC, Itsgallus, Buckfast and Iamthelaw gives you all the weapons, all the cities and no police.

Sonic 3's level select is Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up, but this is for some reason a very difficult thing to get right.

To get to Sonic 1's debug mode is Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right, C, A+Start (holding down A until the game begins).

Little Big Adventure 2, hold shift and type in "clover" to get an extra life.

That's all I can remember for now...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Dominoid wrote:Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive was B A Right Right A C Up Down A, I don't know why but I still remember that one.
It's only one Right, but it would make more sense with two, because it's BARACUDA. I've memorised practically all of the Sonic games' cheats, like the ones above.

Also, Driver: L2 L2 R2 R2 L2 R2 L2 L1 R2 R1 L2 L1 L1 for invincibility. And "iamalazybastard" for the Debug menu in Rollcage: Stage II.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:33 pm

6031769 - manic miner level select cheat .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

martin8777

Post by martin8777 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:56 am

Changing the number of shurikens on Revenge of Shinobi's options menu to 00 and then waiting for it to change to an infinity logo.

edit- and I only just noticed someone else mentioned that one, that'll teach me to read page 2 first.

didn't entering your name as RICH on supercars 2 give you loads of money if I remember rightly?

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 am

I remember the PS1 - Alien Trilogy mega cheat - 1G0TP1NK8CIDB00TS0N which gives you everything including invincibilty & level select.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 am

Quite a lot of cheats that I came across over the years:

Double Dragon (SMS)
To get infinite continues, at the start of Mission 4, perform at least 30 jumping spin kicks.

Enduro Racer (SMS)
On the title screen, press Up, Down, Left, Right until the digit appears on the right hand side. This allows Round Select.

Space Harrier (SMS)
On the title screen, press Right, Left, Down, Up and you go to the Sound Test. To access the Option Menu, enter the following in the Sound Test: 7, 4, 3, 7, 4, 8 and then exit. This allows you to change the difficulty level, control and switching between human and jet plane.

When the 'Game Over' screen appears, press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Down, Up, Up to allow you to continue the game. It can be done at least five times.

Street Fighter II: The World Warriors (SNES)
When the 'Capcom' logo screen appears, use the second control pad and press Down, R, Up, L, Y, B and you'll hear the sound to confirm the entry. The background of the title screen turns blue and it allows you to play as the same character.

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES)
When the 'SFII Turbo' logo screen appears, use the second control pad and press Down, R, Up, L, Y, B and you'll hear the sound to confirm the entry. You can increase the game speed to the maximum of 10 stars.

TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES)
To play as Rat King and Karai in Vs Battle, at the title screen, use the second control pad and press X, Up, Y, Left, B, Down, A, Right, X, Up and you'll hear Aska's voice to confirm the entry.

Zool (Amiga)
Type GOLDFISH at the title screen until the blue flash appears. During the game, you can press any of the following key: (1) invincibility, (2) skip World, (3) skip Stage and (4) commit suicide.
IronMaidenRule wrote:D,U,L,L,A,R,D

Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

Mortal Kombat - MD , Opens up the cheat menu for blood!
The Cheat Menu for the Amiga version was done by typing DULLARDCHEATDULLARDCHEATDULLARDCHEATDULL at the Main Menu.
RetroMartin wrote:Wonderboy and the Dragon's Trap - WE5T 10 and then 0 recurring all the way to the end - can't remember what it does - has the game 99% complete with just the last boss to fight I think?
It was WE5T 0NE at the password screen. It gives you all the armour pieces, swords, coins, fireballs, etc.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:05 am

The Konami Code.

Used in more games and websites than you can shake several sticks at. ↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A

Also ←, →, select in Rock N Roll racing to get Olaf, and B,A,R,R,Y to get a level select on Snes Lion King.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 am

Oh yeah, a few months ago when I played Nitro on the Amiga, I suddenly remembered that setting your name as MAJ gave you lots of money to buy nice things with.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 am

Crystal Mines II (Lynx) - Enter the password ZERO for a secret level with loads of power-ups.

StuM

Post by StuM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 am

For Super R-Type on the Snes:

At the title screen, hold R, and press Up 9 times. It would make a sound, then during the game levels, Pause the game, and hold R, A + Select simultaneously, and a number appeared in the bottom corner. Pressing Up or Down scrolled through the level numbers, and then un-Pausing the game took you to that specific level :P
Consoles I own:: Xbox360, PS3, Wii, DSlite, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast - ..and I want to start collecting again

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am

Burai Fighter (NES)
kqgq = 99 lives (discovered by accident by looking at the back of the box and to find clues for codes)

Turtles Tournament Fighter (SNES)
L,R,L,R,L,R,A = i think this was to get the power bar in story mode.

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am

Setting lives to 0 in Thunder Force 4 giving you 99 credits. The option screen was hidden to begin with think you hold A+C and press start.

Also I seem to remember that if you ducked on these blocks for a couple of seconds at the end of stage 2 in Kid Chameleon it warped you to the last boss. If any game needed battery backup or a password system then it was this one!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
SF2 SNES pseudo-champion edition - up R down L Y B at the Capcom logo.
Ironically that is wrong! :lol:

Down R Up L Y B
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)