What console do you feel is best to collect for, and why?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrojc

What console do you feel is best to collect for, and why?

Post by retrojc » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 pm

As the title suggests what console do you feel is the best to collect for, and why? Only one console in your response please.

Here's my answer

"My favourite and most rewarding consoel to collect for is the PlayStation One, Why? Well that's simple, it's a console whcih nothing is for certain, some of the rarest games in video game collecting sit beside this console yet almost all video game collectos do not have a clue about them. I waited 2 years for my Pal English copy of Hi Octane to appear, then 2 copies appeared at the same time. Bingo. Games like that, which to most are rubbish are the gems in my collection. Also being the first fo the Sony PlayStation consoles I feel its the rigth console to collect for with some true genre defining games making their debut on the system. Now you can pick rarities up for as little as 50pence one ebay, and even the most expensive title will set you back no more than £60. With a fantastic library for every genre imaginable it's a console i've got a little passion for, which I feel you should to."

Your turn

DPrinny

Re: What console do you feel is best to collect for, and why

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Game.com
As theres bugger all games for it and there easy to get hold of

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:44 pm

N64. The games are generally quite cheap and readily available. There's also not too many games and so, so many triple-A classics.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:48 pm

The Xbox!

It came at a time where gaming budgets weren't as excessive as they are now, so you get all kinds of creative games with pretty good graphics. Almost all of the games on the system are dead cheap (with the exception of Steel Battallion, one I'll pick up someday :lol: ). Not only that but it's home to some of the greatest SEGA games of all time (namely Panzer Dragoon Orta & Jet Set Radio Future). To me it's a system that's unfairly ignored, those that spend a bit of time with it can quickly find there's a lot more to it than meets the eye :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Hmmm its a hard question but I will go with the Lynx.

Not only are the vast majority of its games very good but they are also all pretty affordable. Even the Lynx's rarest games don't go for that much compared to the rarest games on other systems. Other reasons are that boxes look fantastic and also that people are still making games for the machine so there are also new games to buy.

eRetronic

Post by eRetronic » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I would say xbox defo, i think i have now completed a pal set inc special editions :wink:
This thread is quite timely for me as i was thinking about what to move on to next, I fancy a cart based system this time maybe N64 (have previously collected full set of snes many years back but had to sell for a new motor :( ) so was thinking of it not being 16bit.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Rayne wrote: (with the exception of Steel Battallion, one I'll pick up someday :lol: )
I picked up my second set up, the more desirable blue button model, for £50. Prices fluctuate massively so always keep an eye out :wink:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Dreamcast - an achievable full collection goal. I have 167 out of 217 so still a while to go. Enjoying collecting for the Jag as the games and boxes (considering their cardboard) are in good nick. Without boxes I collect Atari 800 carts which are usually in good condition. A cheap collection would probably be the Megadrive, you could pick up a couple of hundred quite quickly.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:23 pm

At the moment, the PS2 has loads of fantastic games on the system and they are dirty cheap to get hold of at the moment.

For true retro collecting, I go with the Atari Lynx, very fun system and the prices are quiet reasonable.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:41 pm

It depends what factors you're considering for what makes a console "best" for collecting. Are we talking availablilty of games, value for money, quality of titles, range of genres or how easy it is to obtain a complete set?

Id say the PS1 probably fulfills to the first 4 points, obviously if you're looking to attain a full catalogue of games for it then your best off collecting for something else. You just have such a sheer amount of choice for the system and it really does cater to every genre quite well. Its really easy to find games for it as theyre just everywhere and even fully boxed games are normally nice and cheap.
Also, its home to the best Squaresoft titles and RPG games in general, and though pricey, its nice to have a few holy grails to seek obtaining.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 am

N64. The carts are just beautiful, the machines are really good looking and come in a wide variety of colours/designs, some very cool extras to buy (Hori Mini Pad being one). It's not too expensive, has some ridiculously good games and there are some real hidden gems in it's library too. Very satisfying console to collect and enthuse over. The Saturn is good too.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:22 am

For me, the major factors in collecting (after enjoyment) are space, cost, availablility and variety.
I want to collect for a machine that I loved back in the day.. I don't have a big loft to store boxes, infact I don't care about boxes. I want to keep the games available to play at all times. I want a machine that is laregly over-looked, keeping prices down... yet was hugely popular in the UK so games are everywhere.
For these reasons I collect gameboy games. Cheap, portable, small, vast numbers of games(so few people going for full sets), under appreciated too.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 am

Saturn - lots of great games available for not much money (a few notorious titles notwithstanding), interesting accessories and variations, and just tricky enough to find some goodies that it feels a bit more rewarding.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:58 am

The Gamecube. Not that many PAL releases to find (if you want a full set) unique discs, some great system exclusives....and even the rarest of the rare games only go for around the original asking price (unlike some systems i could mention...#cough PS1 cough#)

Brilliant peripherals (GB Player, i'm looking at you) extend the system above and beyond most other consoles. I'm not talking about emulating here, as i know some would throw Xbox amongst others at me at this point, but plays proper cartridges. Used in conjunction with the best wireless controller i've had the fortune to use and we have a winner!! (imo, natch :D )
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I thought that the Mega Drive is best for 'beginning' a retro collection ... Some great old games on that system which you can often pick up complete for not much at all. Even though I despised the system back in the day (was a SNES man), I've found myself often buying for it these days. Can then branch out to the peripherals such as Mega-CD and 32X. The problem that I have with collecting titles for this system is the space - Each box is about as wide as a VHS case.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale