Gameboy Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Gameboy Thread

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 pm

So after getting a pocket I have decided that I want to start playing some more gameboy, only problem is that there isn't a lot on the console that has aged well and it is kind of bothersome.
This is like those other collection threads. My gameboy collection isn't that big and I have gotten rid of a lot of games that other people call classics (Mario land 2, Mystic Quest) there is some good stuff on gameboy but a lot of it feels very bare bones by todays standards.

Anyway agree or disagree with me if you want.

eeztheman

Re: Gameboy Thread

Post by eeztheman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm

I would always recommend Operation C (Contra) & The First Turtles Game personally.

There was also a good version of Qix on there too....if that's your sort of thing.

But as always, there's LOADS of rubbish games on it!!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:42 pm

What kills the gameboy for me is that it is full of ports and conversions which I don't bother with, in terms of system exclusives after the classics and cult games you are pretty much left with nothing.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:15 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:What kills the gameboy for me is that it is full of ports and conversions which I don't bother with, in terms of system exclusives after the classics and cult games you are pretty much left with nothing.
Yeah you are spot on there, not many exclusives I can think of at the moment that are worth going for, but it's been a while since I had a real good play on the old GB......there's bound to be a few on the law of averages...

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Isn't there a Bill and Ted game thats meant to be really good? A James Bond Zelda type game to.

Metroid 2, Zelda and obviously Tetris.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:12 pm

I concur that Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure is a great game on the Gameboy, I also think Mole mania is Brilliant too, the Gameboy has too many rubbish ports and Licenced games on it that are not suited to the hardware, there are some real Gems on it though.

Some of my favourites would be Monster Max, Navy Seals (if ridiculously hard) Sneaky Snakes, Kirby's Pinball, another vote for Operation C and Metroid 2.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Zelda: Links Awakening and Super Mario Land are the 2 quintessential GameBoy titles for my money.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Zelda, Double Dragon and Cat Trap(Or Pit Man as they called it on those 100 in 1 cart) lost hours to them.. And Shadow Warriors is also a damn fine game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't think the situation with naff GB ports is very different to any other 8-bit machine tbh... Atually, I'd say the GB did pretty well compared to most! Classic arcades like Nemesis, Double Dragon, R-Type, Space Invaders etc. are great ports. I'd even say that Battle Arena Toshinden on the GB is the only version worth playing.
With ~1000 games released, there's LOADS of amazing games that are generally unheard of and cheap to try... It's why i love the gameboy!
Great to see Mole Mania mentioned. The more posthumous attention this gets the better as I MUST see a sequel before I die. I dare anyone to play Mole Mania and describe it as anything other than immense. It's from Shigsy's own loins for goodness sake.
Shadow Warriors and Cat Trap are fine shouts too. I LOVE the intro music from Shadow Warriors.
Gargoyles Quest, Nemesis 2.. oh man.. so, so many good games.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:06 pm

FaceBall 2000, and Bill and Teds excellent Game boy Adventure - can't praise them high enough.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:22 pm

retrojc wrote:FaceBall 2000, and Bill and Teds excellent Game boy Adventure - can't praise them high enough.
I remember screw attack doing a video game vault where they called FaceBall 2000 one of the worst games ever made.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:55 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:I remember screw attack doing a video game vault where they called FaceBall 2000 one of the worst games ever made.
Well, it's an FPS on an 8 bit mono handheld, so it's not going to be the pinnacle of the genre. FPS specifically (along with sports) isn't going to age well. It's actually incredible for what it is though... Same as 'X' and Donkey Kong Land are.

Games that hold up to 'today's standards' are obviously going to be in the minority on a machine released in the 80s. Stick to puzzlers, platformers, adventure games and fighters and you may get lucky as the formula hasn't changed much. When you do find these gems, it's brilliant.

As I say, there's not an overhead maze puzzler that's better than Mole Mania.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:54 am

"Kwirk" is a good little puzzler though.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:45 am

There's loads of fab games for the GB.....(amongst a fair pile of tat, it has to be said.)

Games not mentioned so far, that i thoroughly enjoy are:

Super RC Pro AM
Super Hunchback
Revenge of the 'Gator
Motocross Maniacs
Robocop
Skate or Die: Bad n' Rad
Solar Striker

and, although i couldn't be classed as a fan, certainly the Pokemon games stand the test of time. There's literally hundreds of other solid games. I think you just haven't found them yet..... :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:51 am

No mention of Alleyway yet?