Mike Tysons Punch Out

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NRGuk

Mike Tysons Punch Out

Post by NRGuk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:13 pm

I picked this game up and thought I would give it a play to do a little review of it on my site and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was with it. I was a little concerned when I switched on the NES to see Mike Tysons mug glaring at me in 8 bit glory but yea the game really works. Quite a good format too because even though you don't move around the ring it is a really really good play. Anyone else rate this game?

mainvein

Re: Mike Tysons Punch Out

Post by mainvein » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:38 pm

NRGuk wrote:I picked this game up and thought I would give it a play to do a little review of it on my site and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was with it. I was a little concerned when I switched on the NES to see Mike Tysons mug glaring at me in 8 bit glory but yea the game really works. Quite a good format too because even though you don't move around the ring it is a really really good play. Anyone else rate this game?
yep, its an excellent little game, you played any of the sequels? they improve on the humour as they go on

NRGuk

Post by NRGuk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:52 pm

mainvein wrote:
NRGuk wrote:I picked this game up and thought I would give it a play to do a little review of it on my site and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was with it. I was a little concerned when I switched on the NES to see Mike Tysons mug glaring at me in 8 bit glory but yea the game really works. Quite a good format too because even though you don't move around the ring it is a really really good play. Anyone else rate this game?
yep, its an excellent little game, you played any of the sequels? they improve on the humour as they go on
I remember playing on Super Punch Out on the SNES, at least I think that is what it was, seems very similar in play to this game but not 100 per cent sure. How many did they have? It also reminds me a bit of Ready 2 Rumble now I think of it. That was another great game! AFFRO THUNDER!

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:11 pm

you should play the one on the wii, has a real old school feel to it whilst being extremely silly.

you should also try wade hixtons counter punch on the gba, very similar, but you control a hill billy with a massive mullet

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:55 pm

mainvein wrote:you should play the one on the wii, has a real old school feel to it whilst being extremely silly.

you should also try wade hixtons counter punch on the gba, very similar, but you control a hill billy with a massive mullet
Tysons punch out is great..Nice chunky feel to it..they dropped the tyson from the title when he finally went off his rocker.
Going for a pretty penny as well.
Nintendo id.....alandd.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Absolutely love this game, easily in my top 5 NES games. Couldn't get into Super Punch Out and haven't tried the Wii version. So much charm in that NES cartridge though, I haven't beaten it yet but always go back for more.

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:12 pm

famicom69 wrote:Absolutely love this game, easily in my top 5 NES games. Couldn't get into Super Punch Out and haven't tried the Wii version. So much charm in that NES cartridge though, I haven't beaten it yet but always go back for more.
Agree with ya famicom on the snes version...felt light.
Nintendo id.....alandd.

NRGuk

Post by NRGuk » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:53 pm

famicom69 wrote:Absolutely love this game, easily in my top 5 NES games. Couldn't get into Super Punch Out and haven't tried the Wii version. So much charm in that NES cartridge though, I haven't beaten it yet but always go back for more.
It does draw you back in, which is something I commented on in my review. That and the sense of joy when you have worked a fighter out and go back to pummel him!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Has anyone tried Punch Out 2? (the one with Mike Tyson as the only playable character?)

I've always wanted to order it on Retrozone, but I'm still not sure (about the game and the site...)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com