Lego Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Lego Games

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I bought lego batman nice and cheap as a stocking filler for my 4 year old boy last christmas, mainly to see if he would be interested in games or not like I was at his age. Since that day I hardly get a look in myself. But I have discovered a love for the lego genre whilst "teaching" him the way of the gamer.

And I really cant decide on a favourite.

I (err we) are currently muddling through.

Lego Batman
Star Wars TCS
Star wars 3
Indiana jones 2
Harry Potter

Dont get me wrong, they do have some annoying faults but overall i'd recommend them to anyone who hasnt played them. And I'd love to hear some of your opinions on them too.

Eat your nans pants

killbot

Re: Lego Games

Post by killbot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:07 pm

I have them all, except Indiana Jones 2 and Star Wars 3 (both of which I will get at some point).

My favourite is probably either Batman or Harry Potter. Indiana Jones is marginally the weakest, due to a lot of platforming sections coupled to a camera that doesn't always let you see what you want to. But they're all good.

There's a general perception that they're all the same, but I don't find that at all. Batman is quite action-oriented, Potter is more of a puzzler and Indiana Jones, as I mentioned, is primarily a platformer. The Star Wars games tend to be a balance of the three elements.
Last edited by killbot on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:09 pm

I've dipped in and out of most of them, have not played clone wars yet but I've heard good things about it.

My fave Lego game is the Lego Universe MMO. The free build mode on that is quite deep and the missions are mostly fun.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:13 pm

The only thing I would say about star wars 3 is that the big battle sections are certainly not my cup of tea. And imo were not needed.

Eat your nans pants

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Looking forward to Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean.

I like the Lego games. They're good chill out games with a bit of metroidvania thrown in. Good games to play in co-op with the mrs.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Still waiting for Universe to become free

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

i am also looking forward to POTC version :D

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I've only got Star Wars the complete saga that the other half got me for christmas but we love sitting down and playing it together. I intend to pick up all the rest once we're done with this, least they'll be cheap!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Find them too easy and quite repetitive, well at least the Star Wars games. For young(ish) kids they're not too bad at all though.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:08 am

Only have Star Wars II on PS2 - it's way too easy if you're an adult but Lego...? Star Wars...? Double AWESOME! :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:53 am

LEGO Star Wars is probably the best game I've played so far. It really captures the essence of the movies well. Indiana Jones did too. The puzzles in the latter game are great fun, especially if you're trying to 100% it properly.

Batman I found to be the weaker title, since a lot of it made no sense whatsoever. The puzzles aren't hard as such, just stupid. It's possible to get stuck simply because you had no idea how to logically solve them. Why bother trying to find a key to a door when you can get a disco-dancing robot to destroy it for you! Creative yes, logically intuitive, hell no. All the while being obscured by the usual LEGO atrocious camera. It forces you to try everything in the hope it'll actually work.

Oh, and real LEGO is not disgustingly overpriced either. No Sireee bob!
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 am

I've only played Lego Star Wars I-III and Lego Indy. I loved the Star Wars Complete Saga as it included so much content it kept me playing for hours trying to 100% it and while it did get a little samey at times it was overall brilliant fun.
I never really enjoyed Indy anywhere near as much for some reason. The game was fun to play through for the first time but getting 100% on it was damn tedious and boring.
I'm still working through Lego SW III and so far its fun enough. Doesn't really do anything new but I do like the puzzles included in this one.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

James A

Post by James A » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 am

I really enjoyed Lego Star Wars, Batman & Indiana Jones. Quite unique in that they have that crossover appeal that all generations can enjoy. I know quite alot of hardcore gamers who enjoy playing them.

Will probably pick up the clone wars game in a couple of months when it comes down in price.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 am

I've played Lego Batman and Lego Star Wars TCS (well, Lego Rock Band but that doesn't count, does it?) and my fav is definitely Lego Star Wars. Even though I also love the Batman movies and the Batman universe in general, I liked the balance between platforms, puzzles and action in this game.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

merman

Post by merman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:18 am

My favourite aspect of the Lego games is actually the cutscenes - Travellers Tales put so much humour into them, both from the original source material and also based on the fact the characters are made of Lego.

I played through Harry Potter Years 1-4 despite never having read the books or seen the films, and really enjoyed it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube