Biggest gain and biggest mistake

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Biggest gain and biggest mistake

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 am

Turrican 2 on the CD32 a few years ago, was thinking about getting the machine, saw how much the game goes for on Ebay and sold it to a bloke in the US for £100. Bought for 25p.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am

Years ago a bought a load of game music soundtracks from a Japanese seller on Ebay for betwwen £5-8, all mint complete with obi. Getting Virtua Racing, A Clockwork Knight, NiGHTS etc. at such a cheap price was great!
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

webding

Post by webding » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Exactly - and those who moan about people 'ripping off' charities i'm sure wouldn't be fast to offer more if they found something cheap either. Nice to think everyone would, but none of us do! It's like someone paying more for a charity ebay sale than something is worth just because it's for a charity, which i'm sure happens all the time ;)
Ah, presuming to know intent. I've paid extra for charity stuff before (as in, "keep the change"), though I've never bought games or consoles from a charity shop, so I can't claim any moral high ground there. I'm pretty sure I'd not just buy cheap stuff to sell on though...

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:26 pm

webding wrote: Ah, presuming to know intent. I've paid extra for charity stuff before (as in, "keep the change"), though I've never bought games or consoles from a charity shop, so I can't claim any moral high ground there. I'm pretty sure I'd not just buy cheap stuff to sell on though...
...and neither do I, so whats the problem?

webding

Post by webding » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:33 pm

The problem is that I'm pretty sure I'd pay a fairer price (or make an extra donation) for something a charity shop had accidentally marked up stupidly low. I'd feel like a robbing swine otherwise. I'm not saying I'd pay ebay rates, but I'd at least stick an extra tenner in if I picked up a copy of Secret of Mana for a fiver or something.

Chucktaylor

Post by Chucktaylor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Biggest Mistake: I regret trading all my N64 games when I was little for other games. This place called trade a game ripped me off, however because of that I got to play many games.

Biggest Gain: Keeping my N64 all these years and finding Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario World for 5 bucks each.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm

James A wrote:Charity shops like Oxfam its more likely there ripping you off by charging £5 for Fifa 98 on the PS2
I dunno, a fiver would be a bargain for a game that came out 2-3 years before the console did :wink: . Genuine mega-rare :lol:

I've had some bargains over the years but my memory's awful so I can't really remember any of them. I can remember however, chucking away all my mint boxes to my GB/GBC games years ago because I had no room to store them :( . I look at my pile of loose carts/manuals now and kick myself.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:52 am

^ Not chucked away, but I've had so many cases and manuals lost in transit when moving house, including Streets of Rage 3 when it was fetching the really big prices!

James A

Post by James A » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:54 am

Megamixer wrote:
James A wrote:Charity shops like Oxfam its more likely there ripping you off by charging £5 for Fifa 98 on the PS2
I dunno, a fiver would be a bargain for a game that came out 2-3 years before the console did :wink: . Genuine mega-rare :lol:

I've had some bargains over the years but my memory's awful so I can't really remember any of them. I can remember however, chucking away all my mint boxes to my GB/GBC games years ago because I had no room to store them :( . I look at my pile of loose carts/manuals now and kick myself.
He He woops :oops: You get the general idea of what im saying though with some charity shops selling sports games for a fiver when most shops can't sell them for 99p.

My biggest mistake was probably selling my Dreamcast stuff in Uni as i was so broke doing my Masters as my project over ran for three months. Was absolutley gutted and didn't get that much for it as it had just stopped production but i had all the rare games, loads of magazines and add ons. That or selling my copy of Steel Battallion

Biggest gain, tough to say as ive had some epic car boot hauls (Steel Battallion for £10) but id say just the ammount of stuff ive pulled out of the skip in work. Amazed what people will throw away.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 am

webding wrote:though I've never bought games or consoles from a charity shop, so I can't claim any moral high ground there.

I would, however, the majority of charity shops (in Scotland anyway) do not sell electrical goods. So if anybody hands them in, they get binned. Or an employee will help themselves to them!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:08 am

Biggest mistake - selling my boxed Master System and a load of games at a car boot a few years ago (to be fair, that was my parents mistake, but it still hurts)

Biggest gain - finding my copy of Knuckles' Chaotix under my bed when I thought it had also gone at a car booty long ago
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 am

Biggest mistake would be selling my NES to put the money towards the SNES, though it wasn't really my fault as I was eleven and my mum made me sell it.

I think biggest gain would probably when I bought a Megadrive from a mate when I was about fourteen. He had taken the top off, lost the screws and put stickers all over it. I managed to clean it up, screw it back together and sell it in the local paper for a nice profit.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Post by 647 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Okay, let me set the scene. A handsome young peter maris was strolling down River road when he saw a yard sale sign. He went over to the video game section. Action 52. $6. And you know what I got for the same price? U*Foria.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:16 pm

^ At least you went for the better game! :P

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I think my biggest gain was buying Final Fantasy VIII for 50p, mint. I then sold it for £20, bought the new Pokémon with it.
However, I did go back and give them £15 when I got some more cash on me ;D