Biggest gain and biggest mistake

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

normikun

Biggest gain and biggest mistake

Post by normikun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:03 pm

I think its always interesting if someone picks up a bargain, but i am sure there must have been a big mistake too. I once bought Xenogears from Cash Generator in Bolton for 4.99 and then sold it for 45 on ebay 8 years ago At around that same time i had to downsize my megadrive collection and got rid of a conplete boxed sega megadrive punisher for 3pounds. Now i look on Ebay it fetches 100+ pounds. I actually bought punisher from Cash convertors in Wigan 9 years ago back then people were into playstation and saturn and was just getting rid of snes megadrive 32x master system games. Then people moved onto xbox ps2 and cash convertors had a flux of cheap saturn and psx games. Must mention i got panzer dragoon saga for 8 pounds 7 years ago

psj3809

Re: Biggest gain and biggest mistake

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:06 pm

My biggest mistake was getting rid of a perfectly good keyboard, had a great return key which worked ;)

Seriously i'm sure a fair few of us had some rare-ish games back in the day which we then sold for peanuts when we moved onto another machine

Eg i had my speccy, tons of games, sold it for £40 as i wanted to get an Amiga

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 pm

normikun wrote:... Must mention i got panzer dragoon saga for 8 pounds 7 years ago
I'm so hating you right now! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Like many I just regret getting rid of all my stuff years ago - and the biggest gain is collecting them all again including things that I never had back then.

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

psj3809 wrote:My biggest mistake was getting rid of a perfectly good keyboard, had a great return key which worked ;)
:lol:

Biggest gain would still be the 30 quid N64 charity shop haul which had near mint copies of Smash Bros, Conkers BFD, Mario Tennis, Banjo-Tooie and a dozen or so other top titles. Managed to trade most of it for a massive amount of machines and games on this forum, so a great find.

Biggest mistake for me, like others, was getting rid of my earlier systems. My 128k speccy with over a 100 games being sold for about a tenner, my SMS with loads of games probably went the same way, my Mum chucking out a boxed ZX80 (or 81..I can never remember). Too many mistakes to think about. I gave my brother in law and neice my old mega drive and dozens of games as well, but luckily when i started collecting retro they still had it all so I managed to get it back, otherwise that would have been a big mistake too.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm

My biggest mistake was trading in mint, boxed copies of Zelda 3, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Time, Super Metroid etc etc for pennies in exchange for then new PS1 games

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

My biggest mistake was selling my copy of Sunset Riders (SNES) for next to nothing back in the day - I can't afford to buy a copy now. :(

My biggest gain was at a carboot, a fully boxed Sega Master System Action Pack (with the lightgun), plus 4 complete games for 8 quid :D

I'd always wanted an original SMS (mine was a SMS 2 that I'd had for years) - I just prefer the look of the original.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I gave all my He-Man figures to a kid down the road when I was getting 'too old' for them (my mum's words). I even had Castle Grayskull. :(
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Biggest gaming gain(s) were probably Suikoden and Vandal Hearts 2 which I bought on the same day for £3 a pop from Cash Generator way back in 2003. Suikoden went for £63, VH2 went for about £50. None of them really compare against an unreleased promo tape I had of Blak Twang's 'Dettwork South East', mind... ;)

Biggest mistake was probably trading in Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night against PS1 Grand Theft Auto in early '98. My mate had GTA on the PC and it was really cool back then, the PS1 version turned out to be a truly stunted conversion and was really hard to love. It really stings, just thinking about it. I mean, GTA, it's worth less than a quid these days, innit? :oops:

normikun

Post by normikun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:36 pm

I also sold my C64 with over hundred games with mint boxed Ninja remix cartridge, and myth cartridge about 18 years ago for 90 pounds, just wish I could be Dr Who and pay myself 90 pounds back then to keep them.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Trading in a mint copy of Twin Snakes to Game.

That said, it was to help pay my way on a date with my girlfriend of four years now, so it's not all bad.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:14 pm

My biggest mistake was getting a PS1 whilst at uni, my biggest gain was playing FF7 on it.

webding

Post by webding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

My biggest mistake was reading this thread.

But seriously, don't you feel a bit of a chief when you rip a charity shop off? Fair enough when it's some smelly second hand shop, but when it's simply because the resident old dear doesn't know what she's got - and it's for a good cause - I'd feel pretty guilty getting a steal on something.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:57 pm

webding wrote:But seriously, don't you feel a bit of a chief when you rip a charity shop off?
No! :D

Got a mint Atari 2600 (unboxed though) from a car boot for a fiver, that was pretty good.
Got a Dreamcast with a load of games (incl. Shenmue 1 & 2) for nothing from a guy at work.
Sold MGS Subsistence for £75 & Zelda - A link to the past for £50 - both cost me under £20 each, new.

Biggest mistake was selling anything from my collection.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I feel if you make money from a charity shop you should donate the profit's to the same charity, your a degenerate a*** otherwise, plus your going to hell.

Not that I believe in hell or anything.