"Our machines were lean and efficient." - Sir Clive Sinclair

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

"Our machines were lean and efficient." - Sir Clive Sinclair

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 am

"Our machines were lean and efficient. The sad thing is that today's computers totally abuse their memory - totally wasteful, you have to wait for the damn things to boot up, just appalling designs. Absolute mess! So dreadful it's heartbreaking." - Sir Clive Sinclair

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/magazine-12703674

Crunchy

Re: "Our machines were lean and efficient." - Sir Clive Sinc

Post by Crunchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 am

The man who put out the C5, absolute dorkdom personified, pointing fingers at other people's designs? :shock:

He's right about the memory though.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:25 am

Crunchy wrote:The man who put out the C5, absolute dorkdom personified, pointing fingers at other people's designs? :shock:

The C5 was a brilliant idea, it's just that the technology wasn't there to match his ideas.
HADDOCKEN!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am

Mire Mare wrote:"Our machines were lean and efficient. The sad thing is that today's computers totally abuse their memory - totally wasteful, you have to wait for the damn things to boot up, just appalling designs. Absolute mess! So dreadful it's heartbreaking." - Sir Clive Sinclair

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/magazine-12703674
Spot-on. Its not the first time he's said such a thing either. I recall him saying pretty much the same thing in an interview he did in Popular Computing Weekly. I no longer own the issue in question but, iirc, it was probably 10-15 years ago that it was published. As to why I still remember it, well that's because his words struck a chord with me.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 am

That ok for his computers - they were simple. I'd like to see anybody come up with a computer that boots as fast as Sir Clive Sinclair's and runs complicated modern progams. Progress and all that jazz.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 am

Out of interest, now long does it take for an iPod touch to boot up from the moment its switched on? I realise it wouldn't be instant like a Speccy, for example, but I'd have thought its about as good as it gets these days?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 am

He's obviously just using the wrong machines, as it's entirely possible to get a lightweight Linux to boot in under ten seconds on the right hardware.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 am

Scapegoat wrote:
Crunchy wrote:The man who put out the C5, absolute dorkdom personified, pointing fingers at other people's designs? :shock:

The C5 was a brilliant idea, it's just that the technology wasn't there to match his ideas.
The handlebars were under your knees.

Under your knees.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

Matt_B wrote:He's obviously just using the wrong machines, as it's entirely possible to get a lightweight Linux to boot in under ten seconds on the right hardware.
Ubuntu boots far faster on my PC than Windows ever did - don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about Windows, but it's not exactly speedy on an old thing like mine!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:58 am

Crunchy wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:

The handlebars were under your knees.

Under your knees.
Under your thighs (top of / near your arse cheeks) more like , unless your knees were attached to your arse .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:05 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Out of interest, now long does it take for an iPod touch to boot up from the moment its switched on? I realise it wouldn't be instant like a Speccy, for example, but I'd have thought its about as good as it gets these days?
iPods take bloody ages—anything up to a minute to boot. New Macs are pretty quick, especially SSD ones, which will boot in seconds. But Sir Clive is right—people are inefficient when programming these days. Once, every byte counted. Now, no-one cares. This is why you have games that are a gig when they could be a few hundred meg, or 500k PNGs on websites that could really do with 90k JPEGs.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 am

sirclive1 wrote:
Crunchy wrote: The handlebars were under your knees.

Under your knees.
Under your thighs (top of / near your arse cheeks) more like , unless your knees were attached to your arse .
Yeah. Crap, wasn't it? :lol:

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Out of interest, now long does it take for an iPod touch to boot up from the moment its switched on? I realise it wouldn't be instant like a Speccy, for example, but I'd have thought its about as good as it gets these days?
iPods take bloody ages—anything up to a minute to boot. New Macs are pretty quick, especially SSD ones, which will boot in seconds. But Sir Clive is right—people are inefficient when programming these days. Once, every byte counted. Now, no-one cares. This is why you have games that are a gig when they could be a few hundred meg, or 500k PNGs on websites that could really do with 90k JPEGs.
My 4th gen iPod took 27 seconds to boot from off. My old 1st gen model took well over a minute, note though, the 1st gen iPod has a 400Mhz processor and the 4th Gen has a 800Mhz processor. Out of interest how long does it take an iPad to boot, or an iPad 2?

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Crunchy wrote:
sirclive1 wrote:
Crunchy wrote: The handlebars were under your knees.

Under your knees.
Yeah. Crap, wasn't it? :lol:
The C5 was crap, but the concept was ahead of it's time, elecric cars are now coming in fasion.

Plus it did spawn Revenge Of The C5 video game for the CPC/SPEC - although I'm not sure thats a good thing...

http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/r/revenge_of_the_c5.png

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:12 pm

I wondered if he watched 'Micro Men'? :P