LA Noire

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Space_turnip

Re: LA Noire

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 21, 2011 8:40 am

JetSetWilly wrote:The game so far is pretty awesome. Am currently on The Fallen Idol, and I've just been blown away by it all. Haven't found any of the problems mentioned, apart from some slowdown here and there, but apart from that, it's all gravy. But, is it me, or does the Cole Phelps look like SirClive?

Thank censored someone else was thinking the exact same thing as I was!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 21, 2011 11:34 am

Played some more today and completed the first 2 cases in Traffic. Its living up to my expectations so far, I really like the focus on questioning and gathering clues. The interviews aren't perfect (Cole saying something completely different to what I'm thinking...) but thanks to the superb facial animations its easy enough so far to work out when they are telling the truth and when they are not. As a side note I also quite like the way the side missions work and my only small complaint with them so far is that you can't take suspects in alive.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat May 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:The game so far is pretty awesome. Am currently on The Fallen Idol, and I've just been blown away by it all. Haven't found any of the problems mentioned, apart from some slowdown here and there, but apart from that, it's all gravy. But, is it me, or does the Cole Phelps look like SirClive?

It just dawned on me when I started, and I just stared at the screen thinking 'he looks familiar.' Then it just hit me. I hope SC's getting royalties, and if so, I wonder if he'd split it three ways :wink:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I cant say how much I am looking forward to playing this.. and I know a trick that I am sure will see me cruise though the game; I will utilise the old adage, "You know when a liar is telling a lie? When his mouth is moving". This I believe will get me through the game with ease, like a hot knife through butter. Feel free to use this technique as you please.

But seriously I am simply milking up about this one.. cannot wait.

guv859

Post by guv859 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:27 am

JetSetWilly wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:

It just dawned on me when I started, and I just stared at the screen thinking 'he looks familiar.' Then it just hit me. I hope SC's getting royalties, and if so, I wonder if he'd split it three ways :wink:
Have you not seen Mad Men?
Bye

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 24, 2011 4:14 am

Froze on me twice last night after 3 hours of play - luckily it didn't lose any of the save file though. good game, the atmoshere makes it as it's not particularly challenging

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 am

L.A. Noire is an amazing game COMPLETLEY RUINED by one small thing..
The game constantly tells you that your wrong instead of letting you take a certain path during an investication on your own.
This means I have to keep constantly quiting the game and starting a case again rather than work my way through it and then discovering there might have been a better path/choice of questioning on a second or third playthough..

There are musical hints to tell you your wrong, big X marks next to questions to tell you your wrong etc etc..
If only Rockstar had let you play through without constantly pointing out that your making a mistake, this would have made the game far better.
As it is now I have a perfect score on all the questions because I just quit the game and start again chosing a different line of questioning if the dreaded Musical hint/big black X appears, meaning there will be very little replay value for me.

A great idea spoiled.. Shame..

guv859

Post by guv859 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:58 pm

giss wrote:The main character has some serious anger management issues, I keep going batshit on people I'm interrogating.
Space_turnip wrote:I'm getting the same. Sure, I pressed 'Doubt' but what I wasn't expecting was for my guy to start accusing them of whatever murder was being investigated and looking like he's about to kill someone.
It's so true :lol:

Surely "doubt" should result in a middle ground of questioning the validity of a reply, or perhaps asking if the interviewee is mistaken... not wild arm waving, shouting and chest jabbing threats?
Bye

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri May 27, 2011 6:01 pm

So... just got paid, should I but it tomorrow or what? Only buying one new this game this month!

guv859

Post by guv859 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:03 pm

sscott wrote:So... just got paid, should I but it tomorrow or what? Only buying one new this game this month!
It depends what genres you like, but it's a very good game. I've done a few gameplay videos if you want to have a look (see link to my YouTube channel, below)
Bye

coevin

Post by coevin » Sat May 28, 2011 2:50 am

Just finished this last night and to be honest it wasn't a very good game. With the exception of the awesome facial expressions and acting there is nothing we haven't seen done better many times before. The game is way too repetitive, limited, and the side missions are quite frankly laughable. Blink and you will miss them, they are that short and pointless.

giss

Post by giss » Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 am

coevin wrote:Just finished this last night and to be honest it wasn't a very good game. With the exception of the awesome facial expressions and acting there is nothing we haven't seen done better many times before. The game is way too repetitive, limited, and the side missions are quite frankly laughable. Blink and you will miss them, they are that short and pointless.
the side missions are basically GTA, you know someone is about to get shot.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:42 pm

I've just spent the last few hours playing it and I'm very impressed. The look and feel of 40's America, the facial expressions (again!), the quality of the stories and investigations you have to do... the only thing that has narked me so far is on a couple of occasions when I was 100% certain someone was lying to me (looked all uncomfortable, looked around the room, didn't make eye contact) but they were actually telling the truth?!?!?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 am

It was more likely a doubt, which should be used if you can't directly prove they are lying.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Misa

Post by Misa » Sun May 29, 2011 12:02 pm

I really love this game, I'm about 3 quarters of the way through and I'm pretty hooked on it. I think it really appeals to me because it just feels different to all the other AAA titles being released these days, I like it's attempt at innovation. I liked the storyline, obviously the character expressions help this a lot, and it has a weird sense of reality and a 'yeah, that's what I'd do' feeling about it. I was getting pretty sick of all the generic gritty FPS titles - I don't like shooters in general, but it's good to see this has taken a different direction and it's not all about mindlessly shooting and stabbing people.