LA Noire

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

LA Noire

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Really can't wait for this game. Every trailer makes it look better and better. I really love how Rockstar tease their games with a slow release of videos to up the excitement. They didn't let me down with RDR, so I have very high hopes for this.

The only issue I have is which pre-order to go with. Both Game and Play.com have an extra mission, whereas Amazon & Zavvi only have extra suits/guns. I definitely want one of the mission ones, but am gutted they haven't done a collectors edition where you get all the pre-order stuff. I would happily have paid extra for that.

ncf1

Re: LA Noire

Post by ncf1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Yes this is also for me the next game to really be excited about.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 am

I'm on the fence with this - it COULD be fantastic . . . I'm looking forward to reading reviews or comments on here when it arrives.

What is the ETA?

Its about time I look at a new game . . . its been a while.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:57 am

Due out next month.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:38 am

The extra missions thing bothers me as well. I want both of them as they both look/sound excellent... If nothing else I hope they end up as reasonably priced DLC in the future so I can at least play them.

Otherwise the game looks fantastic. I like the period the game is set in, I like that the game focuses on investigating and interogating and the tech thats being used for the facial animations looks really impressive.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:22 am

the thing that will put me off is the overhype. and the initial reviews (if gta/halo etc are anything to go by) are going to be artificially high, because reviewers seem to be a bit "OMG,its teh best thing evah!!1!1!" these days, who then (a couple of days/weeks/months down the line) say "yeah, it was probably a bit higher than it should have been..."
so i expect i'll wait til it's around the £20 or less mark anyway. :D

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:25 am

It does look great, but I expect it to be way overhyped and overrated, such is the power of the Rockstar PR machine.

GTA IV and RDR were both good games, but I can't accept those Metacritic scores.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 am

Leaving me stone cold.

GTA4 and it's DLC vastly over scored and seemed like same old in new graphics engine.

Red Dead Redemption? Hated-Much prefered original game on PS2/Xbox.

All the hype etc seems focused on the tech used rather than what game will provide, but as some sites have pointed out, it's not all that-Faces often look 'pasted' onto bodies etc.

In my opinion, Rockstar must be THE most over rated developer doing the rounds at the moment.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 am

thevulture wrote:
In my opinion, Rockstar must be THE most over rated developer doing the rounds at the moment.
High five brudda! :mrgreen: Totally agree.

However, I must admit I did like the look of LA Noire. I doub the gameplay will suit me but I would like to give it a go.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 am

ShadowMan wrote:The extra missions thing bothers me as well. I want both of them as they both look/sound excellent... If nothing else I hope they end up as reasonably priced DLC in the future so I can at least play them.
I read yesterday that the missions will be released as DLC.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:32 am

djcarlos wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:The extra missions thing bothers me as well. I want both of them as they both look/sound excellent... If nothing else I hope they end up as reasonably priced DLC in the future so I can at least play them.
I read yesterday that the missions will be released as DLC.
Well thats good news I guess. Any word on if they'll be released alongside the game or released a few months after it?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 am

I'm not liking the look of LA Noire. Looks like another one of these zero-gameplay Hollywood movie/game things which don't appeal to me. I do like Rockstar games though, GTA IV and the DLC plus Chinatown Wars on DS are very good games, I just think RDR was overrated as that got old very fast and a lot of the game was padded out with very boring gameplay.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 am

Right now the game doesn't interest me. I liked RDR but was utterly unmoved by GTA IV. I've watched the trailers for LA Noire and basically thought "maybe" but little else. I think it's the subject matter. I've read a lot of noire novels, seen a lot of noire films ... I just don't think a videogame is going to deliver anything particularly new. It looks as clunky as GTA IV too, a game I played for a couple of hours with nothing of note happening in that time except constant amazement that the game engine was so completely sh1t.
Just not feeling the vibe I guess.
I hope it turns out to be more than it currently looks. RDR was a good surprise on that front for me.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am

thevulture wrote:In my opinion, Rockstar must be THE most over rated developer doing the rounds at the moment.
GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas were very fine games indeed. Warriors was great, too (probably up there with the best movie-based games). Since then, Rockstar have been riding on the wave of success of those games.

GTA IV went for realism and suffered. It just wasn't much fun. Good game, but 8/10 at best. The Ballad of Gay Tony was a return to form, but was obviously too short. For me the Saints Row games have fille the void.

As for RDR, I did really enjoy it, although half of that has to do with my love of Westerns. Gameplay-wise, it was far too easy (especially with level 3 of Dead-Eye) and the missions became stale quite quickly.

You can't help but feel that fondness of their PS2-era games has tinted the gaming media's view on Rockstar's current-gen games (and that's not taking onboard the more cynical belief that their PR men pulled a few strings).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am

Often wonder how Rockstar games seem to 'escape' the scorn other developers games seem to fall foul of.

Seen numerous games get slamned for 'Not moving the genre forward, being the same gameplay as last gen, wrapped in current gen graphics engine, being a poorly optimised port etc etc'

Yet Rockstar did'nt bother to resize the screen image from PSP GTA, just upscaled it, giving very poor screen image, Red Dead Red. (taking out the yap yap yap stuff) basically was GTA set in wild west and the older world setting suited the game engine far better than a current day city enviroment.

This generation's GTA4 +DLC packs, did not re-invent the wheel, just used existing GTA engine, yet scores through the roof.

Rockstar seem untouchable, Bungie the same, it just seems 'Not the done deal' to point out the game they've produced short comings.I mean you've got to wonder when a patch they release (for R.D.R) causes more bugs than it fixes, thus needing a further patch, to fix the fixes...why they seem held in so highly.