Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MediaCult

Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Post by MediaCult » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I've been wondering about this. Do older games appeal to us out of nostalgia or is there really something about them? I've been gaming since Moon Patrol was on tape for Commodore so I consider myself an old-timer, with respect for primitive graphics. I'm mostly interested in cases of younger gamers here on RetroGamer.

Are there any gamers here born after 1990? If so, explain what got you into the whole so-called "retro" gaming thing?
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

SinclairStrange

Re: Retro gaming: Is the main drive nostalgia?

Post by SinclairStrange » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

Twas born in 1991, and I got my mega drive in 1995, and ever since I've been into the older stuff. Twas usually the case 'cause the consoles and games at the time were cheaper. I'm more into retro gaming because theys be more attractive to the eye, plus there is more varity. Today we're treated to countless grey FPS' which just bores me, where as retro games have colour and that charm.

Anyway that's why I love 'em. (Plus I utterly love old sound chips, gimmie that SID chip anyday over anything else <3)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:38 pm

I was born 1990 and probably play more retro than anything else these days.

Its hard to really pinpoint what makes retro so appealing. Part of it is nostalgia i suppose, but that only extends as far as the games i actually played back then. I like the simplicity of older games, the graphical style, the awesome chiptune soundtracks, the unforgiving challenge (followed by the sense of accomplishment when you finally get through it) and that old games come down to core gameplay.Theres no bullshit. Its easier to digest than all the information youre fed in modern games which end up diluting the story until you cant remember whos doing what and why.
Dont get me wrong i love new games too, but i think RPG's in particular have suffered from incomprehensible stories that force me to cycle through everything ive remembered so far to make sense of whats happening there and then.

Another great thing about retro is discovering games and systems i never knew existed. Since i was too young to be subscribed to all sorts of gaming magazines, im unaware of so many great games that appeal to me and im always uncovering something new. This forum itself has introduced me to a bunch of games and consoles i didnt even know were out there. These days as an adult with the internet, i know near enough the entire Xbox 360 library so theres no surprise. Retro is an ADVENTURE!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

I was born in the mid-80s, but I don't think it's purely a nostalgic thing for me. It's rather a recreated past: sure there are a lot of terrible retro games, but because I've already played so many good ones, I can in my mind skip over the bad ones and think fondly of the good ones, skewing my perception of how better things were in the past. So while I may think that no current game rivals the storytelling of Final Fantasy II (as I knew it when I was younger), I'm sure that there is one, I just 1) am not familiar with it (I don't really play anything after the N64) and 2) my familiarity and initial passion for the childhood stories will always press upon my emotions and capture my attention more than anything that comes out after maturity.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 pm

No sooner did I post that, I was linked to this. I'm talking about seconds after I posted it, if not concurrently. I think that means I need to replay FFII now. :P

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 pm

Jeez you kids are making me feel old! :lol:
Born in '68, but I'm sure there's more than just me as an older fart here surely?!
But yeah, some of the appeal of the older games, without doubt, for me is the nostalgia. But it is more than that. I enjoy newer games as well, as long as there is good playability to go with the eye candy games of today. But the reason I love many of the older games is the simple addictive nature of them. Easy to get into, hard to master, addictive, and you can play for a bit then get back to other aspects of life. I love Donkey Kong, and can put in 30min to an hour, before you go out, after work etc. But put an hour into GTA San Andreas or Silent Hill etc and it doesn't seem enough.
On the subject of the 'nostalgic' reasons behind games-It is worth noting that many mobile phone games have the retro style of gaming with them, and appeal to many younger kids who would never have seen them the first time around, such as Pac Man. For them, it isn't nostalgia but simply the brilliant, simple gameplay that is appealing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:12 am

Born in '73.Reasons i still go back and play ye olde games are many.Nostalgia is in there, but love SID music, still find the likes of Gods, Laser Squad, Sonic, Xcom, Streets Of Rage 2 etc etc as playable today as they ever were.

And many of the games of yesterday captured that just 1 more go feel, that keeps me returning to them, time and time again, where as lot of stuff i buy today, play-complete-no desire to return to.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 am

kiwimike wrote:Jeez you kids are making me feel old! :lol:
Born in '68, but I'm sure there's more than just me as an older fart here surely?!
Cease your panic. At least two of us were born in '68. :wink:

On topic, I'm well past the nostalgia thing now. I play old games for the gameplay and the genres you just don't get nowadays. Sometimes I'll play out of curiosity. Often, I'm just playing an old favourite because I like it. There's sometimes a whiff of nostalgia about the place when I crank up something I haven't played in a long time but it's hardly ever the reason I'm playing that game.

yasw

Post by yasw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:08 am

Cant say it is nostalgia that much.

I am from '85, but my first consoles was N64 and PS1, but in terms of retro gaming, I prefer games from machines I've never played at the time like the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Mega Drive and TurboGrafx16 as well as older PC games.

So no, for me it is not nostalgia, because I usually play old games I have not played before. I just seem to like the older style of games better :)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:09 am

yes and no, depends on the game

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

For me it's about the love of gaming, and the legacy of games. Therefore I only really collect games that are considered to be among the best of their format (minus a few which I perosnally hated, and adding a few which I loved), or perhaps games that have been influential.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am

Playing quite alot of megadrive and pc engine games at the moment and I liken it to classic albums of years gone by

They were good then (and produced on what would now be called crappy hardware) and they are good now

My ears and eyes are the same, so my enjoyment is equal

I just wish I had more time to play them, but that is the only thing I miss from being younger...more time.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I was born in '91, and I like games regardless of how old they are. I don't think it's anything to do with nostalgia - quite a lot of retro games I like now I never played until recently (Enduro Racer, for example). When people say "it was good then but it isn't good now", I think it's utter rubbish - it's the same game now as it was then, so if it's bad now, it was bad then. It might've looked great, or sounded impressive, but I'm willing to bet that it played badly.

Gameplay doesn't age with time, and that's the most important part of a game. Hence the name. Games like Space Harrier, OutRun, and Gauntlet aren't still well-known today because of nostalgia, it's because they're genuinely fun games. Unfortunately, most modern games tend to focus more on realism and immersion, and forget that the point of a game is to have fun. The modern games that focus on fun, such as Geometry Wars and 'Splosion Man, are probably going to be heralded in the future.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

It's never really been the main drive for me because I never really stopped playing them to get nostalgic. I'd say gameplay is the reason I play old games and the main draw for me. I don't sit there playing crappy games for the sake of it if that's what you are asking. lol

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm

There is nostalgia attached to some games, but that can contain disappointment as well as joy.

Modern gaming has refined and enhanced some genres, while inventing others, so I'm no stranger to it, but when I've got 10 minutes to kill only retro really fills that void.

I don't tend to play old games for a long time at one sitting. I dip in and out. It may be the same game over a number of days or weeks, but if I know I've an hour or more to kill its generally something new that goes on due to the time between save points or what have you.

Games are just different now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.