Top 10 8-bit / 16-bit Console Strategy Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

storm_maker

Re: Top 10 8-bit / 16-bit Console Strategy Games

Post by storm_maker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 am

Matt_B wrote:I have played it, and sure it's not the most mindless of games, but it is essentially a shoot 'em up. If you're going to count that as strategy, you might as well have Cannon Fodder, The Chaos Engine, or a whole bunch of others, as they've got a puzzle element to them as well.
There's no comparison between those games at all, from this I can tell you have extremely limited experience with Gain Ground, if you don't analyze each screen and work out what you need then you're going to lose a lot of soldiers in Gain Ground, many of the soldier types literally can't actually complete some of the screens, period.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am

storm_maker wrote:There's no comparison between those games at all, from this I can tell you have extremely limited experience with Gain Ground, if you don't analyze each screen and work out what you need then you're going to lose a lot of soldiers in Gain Ground, many of the soldier types literally can't actually complete some of the screens, period.
I've not played all of Gain Ground, but I did get through as far as the third boss fight, so I'd think I've seen enough to form a judgement about it. I suppose there's a slim chance that the nature of the game changes vastly after that point, but I'd be rather surprised if it did. It just strikes me as way too twitchy to count as a strategy game even though it's obviously not a mindless shooter.

Also, I'd think that you haven't played much Cannon Fodder if you're of the opinion that it's got less of a strategy element than Gain Ground. Personally, I'd say that it's about half way between GG and C&C, being pretty close to the commando levels of the latter in feel. It's certainly not a game where you can blaze through all the levels with twitch skills alone, although you might just manage the first four or five that way.

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Just remedied the SimCity and Harvest Moon oversights. You'll find them in the list now. Thanks for all the comments!
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 am

Why is Mega-lo-Mania being ignored here?

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 am

Crunchy wrote:Why is Mega-lo-Mania being ignored here?
Fear not, it's also on my list to play. Takes a while to give each of these strategy games a proper play.
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 pm

I always liked Kings Bounty . There was a Mega Drive version but the computer versions are better.. It was the precursor to Heroes of Might and Magic.

Plus I haven't played it much but I thought that Tactics Ogre was a pretty cool strategy game.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Ogre Battle counts, right?

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Ogre Battle counts, right?
Great game, but since there are so many excellent tactical RPGs I made a seperate top 10 list for them.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

timewarpgamer wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Ogre Battle counts, right?
Great game, but since there are so many excellent tactical RPGs I made a seperate top 10 list for them.
Ah, just saw that on your website. Nice list.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't think Jungle Strike could be called a "strategy game" it's more a shooter with strategy elements.

Not a bad list overall, though strategy and tactical aren't much different in my opinion.

Couldn't find the TRPG list, any chance of a link so I don't spend all bloody night looking?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Sureshot wrote:I can see where you're coming from with the Gain Ground inclusion, but - as much as I love it - I'm not sure if I'd feature it in a strategy list. I'd probably swap it out for Rampart.

Syndicate is definitely missing as well - probably put that in for Jungle Strike (which, again, is debatable in strategy-terms).
I'm a big Rampart fan. It's been ported to everything and its mother, but when I compared the different versions the NES one seemed particularly good. In general, I don't feature every single port of a game on my site unless the particular ports are actually good. Any other 8-bit / 16-bit console Rampart ports that people really like?