Top 10 8-bit / 16-bit Console Strategy Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

timewarpgamer

Top 10 8-bit / 16-bit Console Strategy Games

Post by timewarpgamer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Greetings,

I finished up a new Top 10 list a few days ago http://timewarpgamer.com/top10s/strategy.html.

Of course these things are never truly done--always discovering new games and hidden gems--so I'm curious to see what y'all think of the list. Any recommended additions? Any stinkers clogging an otherwise decent list?

By the way, I put Tactical RPGs (there are so many great ones) in their own separate list. Cheers!
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

timewarpgamer

Re: Top 10 8-bit / 16-bit Console Strategy Games

Post by timewarpgamer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Kind of quiet in this thread, I guess everyone agrees 100% with my list?
I run the 8/16-bit retro gamer website TimeWarpGamer, and if you want to follow the latest developments, you can find me on Twitter as well.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 am

I was glad to see Dune 2 on the MD make it on to the list, one of my all time favourite Strategy Games.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 am

There's just no way Jungle Strike could ever be considered an RTS. For one thing, it's actually good.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 am

Nice list and site in general.

I really used to love General Chaos, when I was originally playing the MD it was my second most played game next to Zombies Ate My Neighbours! Great fun in multiplayer :)

I would also agree that Jungle Strike and Gain Ground are definitely stretching the genre a bit...
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 am

Console strategy games... There's not many, so guess you'd have to stretch the definition a bit. Love that Military Madness game, one of my favourite EVER games that is. General Chaos is a good'un too, never played it "strategically" though, more like just running around, making sure the enemy dies rather than myself.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am

Smurph wrote:There's just no way Jungle Strike could ever be considered an RTS. For one thing, it's actually good.
Haha, I knew that Jungle Strike's inclusion would be a little controversial. Love that game. I feel like so much of the game is focused on picking up fuel, armor, and ammo, and planning each mission that you can make that argument that it's a strategy game. It's definitely not a shoot 'em up in the traditional sense...

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

The only stinker in there is Jungle Strike. Drop it and replace it with Mega-Lo-Mania and you're sorted.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I never knew Gain Ground was supposed to be a strategy game. I always thought it was just a bad Commando knock-off. :?

Anyway, how about Civilization, Populous, Sim City, Syndicate and Harvest Moon? The first four are perhaps more commonly thought of as home computer games, but like Dune 2 were ported to at least one 16-bit console, but the latter seems an obvious pick.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Mega-Lo-Mania (Mega Drive "Tyrants" in the US)
North and South (NES)
Powermonger (Mega Drive)
Star Control (Mega Drive)

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:48 pm

By maaking it console only , you're losing out on 90% of the best strategy games - and those that ARE any good (like Storm Makers suggestions) are WAY better on the 'miggy/ST/PC.

Although Pirates! is one of my favourite games of all time , it's an RPG and not a strategy game , and I would be hard pressed to place any of your titles in an all-formats top 10 list

In no order 10 top strategy games

Mugsy (Spectrum)
Theatre Europe (C64)
Civilisation (Amiga)
X-Com (Amiga)
North and South (Amiga)
Centurion of Rome (Amiga)
Archon (C64)
Conflict (Middle East Simulator) Amiga
Dune II (Amiga)
Lords of Midnight (Spectrum)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

llj

Post by llj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:19 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:By maaking it console only , you're losing out on 90% of the best strategy games - and those that ARE any good (like Storm Makers suggestions) are WAY better on the 'miggy/ST/PC.

)

Yeah, but where's the challenge in making a list of the top strategy games on PC? There's so many great ones nobody really needs a list to find one. In fact, top console strategy games might be useful for those who actually want to seek them out.

Anyway, about the list itself. It's okay, but I think Koei needs more representation than just 1 game. Their Nobunaga's Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdom games are more known on consoles going back to the NES, and they stand out as being incredibly hardcore strategy games. Plus, they're still being released on recent consoles. ROTTK and Nobunaga made several appearances on the PS2. Not for casuals, that's for sure.
never knew Gain Ground was supposed to be a strategy game. I always thought it was just a bad Commando knock-off
It's partly strategy. You're given one screen and you have to navigate your guys to a destination on the screen. In some ways it is a puzzle game.

timewarpgamer

Post by timewarpgamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Matt_B wrote:I never knew Gain Ground was supposed to be a strategy game. I always thought it was just a bad Commando knock-off. :?

Anyway, how about Civilization, Populous, Sim City, Syndicate and Harvest Moon? The first four are perhaps more commonly thought of as home computer games, but like Dune 2 were ported to at least one 16-bit console, but the latter seems an obvious pick.
Wow, can't believe I forgot Harvest Moon. I'll have to fix that. Sim City might will probably make the grade, too, but I gotta play for a while and see if not having a mouse makes me crazy. Will have to track down Syndicate and give it a try.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 am

I can see where you're coming from with the Gain Ground inclusion, but - as much as I love it - I'm not sure if I'd feature it in a strategy list. I'd probably swap it out for Rampart.

Syndicate is definitely missing as well - probably put that in for Jungle Strike (which, again, is debatable in strategy-terms).

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:45 am

llj wrote:It's partly strategy. You're given one screen and you have to navigate your guys to a destination on the screen. In some ways it is a puzzle game.
I have played it, and sure it's not the most mindless of games, but it is essentially a shoot 'em up. If you're going to count that as strategy, you might as well have Cannon Fodder, The Chaos Engine, or a whole bunch of others, as they've got a puzzle element to them as well.
timewarpgamer wrote:Wow, can't believe I forgot Harvest Moon. I'll have to fix that. Sim City might will probably make the grade, too, but I gotta play for a while and see if not having a mouse makes me crazy. Will have to track down Syndicate and give it a try.
Sim City works fine without a mouse. It's one of those games where there isn't a bad port too; even the 8-bit ports are eminently playable, so I doubt you'll have too many issues with the 16-bit ones.

Syndicate on the 16-bit consoles is definitely a poor relation of the computer versions though; it's still a decent enough game but somewhat simplified.