Best beat em up series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Re: Best beat em up series

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Damn I hate that Mega Psycho Crusher. I can kill him easily with somebody like Akuma but slow types like R.Mika I'm useless with when it comes to Bison.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:52 pm

I can beat him with almost all charaters.

Even Dan
I like to jump taunt over his fireballs.

And any fireballs

I just like to Jump taunt as its annoying
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 pm

1 on 1 fighter it would almost certainly have to be SSFIV. Or maybe it'll be SF3 3rd Strike when it comes to xbox Live. Never did have it first time around. It's very well thought of in these hallowed pages and you guys have never led me wrong yet!
Scrolling beat em up series would be Streets of Rage I reckon. There are some others that I really loved, but never had sequels to my knowledge ie. The Punisher, Knights of the Round.
PS- There was an SNK scrolling fighter that I played a couple of times in the arcade, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It certainly wasn't Burning Fight as I've got that. All I recall is that one of the playable characters was an oriental dude in white with long black hair, and it was horrendously violent! Picking up bottles and smashing them relentlessly over bad guys heads until they keeled over figured in it I'm sure. If anyone recognises my rather sketchy description, it would stop me going nutty :lol:

llj

Post by llj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I only have trouble with Bison in SF2. Later games tend to balance out the characters better for competition play. But in SF2, bosses do monstrous damage with 1 hit and Bison could wipe the floor with you in 5 seconds and only 4 hits if you're not careful. That can't happen in any later SF game.

When it comes to down to just pure fighting mechanics, for me Real Bout FF series plays the best and is the most fun to casually pick up and play. They're a little thin in areas like story and extra modes, but when it comes down to the meat and potatoes of the fighting mechanics and match presentation, the Real Bout games are hard to beat.

When it comes down to total package, usually the best Street Fighter games stand above most. That said, there are a lot of Street Fighters that are just "there" for me. I wasn't big into SF2 Turbo. Super Street Fighter 2 was sort of exciting with the new characters, but that game was sort of rendered redundant in my eyes with the Alpha series. And while I enjoy the Alpha series, I spent most of my time with Alpha 3, which is probably my favourite Street Fighter of all. I appreciate SF 3 Third Strike as a piece of stellar fighting game design (probably technically the best of all time) but I don't geek out over it.

King of Fighters to me is an important part of the genre because it's sort of an experimenting ground for SNK to continually tweak traditional 2D fighting game mechanics. As such, it's a wildly inconsistent series yet at the same time sometimes strikes gold.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 pm

In the SF2 its all down to the dragon punch timing.
I once got the timing perfectly and took almost all his health off in one go
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

llj

Post by llj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah, in SF2 I've nailed Bison a couple of times during a psycho crusher with a Dragon Punch too, but it's not something I am able to do consistently and it's not something I try unless I'm on the ropes and desperate. I usually don't go for those "high risk, high reward" moves as a rule.

Also, I tend to use Guile in this game and Guile isn't very good against Bison. He has a way of countering flash kicks even if he's jumping right into Guile, and without a flash kick, Guile isn't very good...

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Street fighter but not my favourite genre anyway. To be really good you need to invest a lot of time in them which I don't feel like doing.

llj

Post by llj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm

malekith1979 wrote: PS- There was an SNK scrolling fighter that I played a couple of times in the arcade, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It certainly wasn't Burning Fight as I've got that. All I recall is that one of the playable characters was an oriental dude in white with long black hair, and it was horrendously violent! Picking up bottles and smashing them relentlessly over bad guys heads until they keeled over figured in it I'm sure. If anyone recognises my rather sketchy description, it would stop me going nutty :lol:

Is it any of the Sengoku games?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sengoku/sengoku.htm

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:25 pm

llj wrote:
malekith1979 wrote: PS- There was an SNK scrolling fighter that I played a couple of times in the arcade, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It certainly wasn't Burning Fight as I've got that. All I recall is that one of the playable characters was an oriental dude in white with long black hair, and it was horrendously violent! Picking up bottles and smashing them relentlessly over bad guys heads until they keeled over figured in it I'm sure. If anyone recognises my rather sketchy description, it would stop me going nutty :lol:

Is it any of the Sengoku games?

Thanks for the most kind suggestion, but after a bit of digging online and me stopping being very lazy, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably Gang Wars from '89. Would love to play it again though, although that may be rather tricky :cry:

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 pm

malekith1979 wrote:Would love to play it again though, although that may be rather tricky :cry:
Try Mame. 8)
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:Would love to play it again though, although that may be rather tricky :cry:
Try Mame. 8)
Now I'm gonna sound really lame/stupid, but how would one go about acquiring MAME? One of my friends used to have it many years ago on his PC and it was great! You have to pay for everything nowadays ROM-wise don't you. Which is totally correct, of course. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated :?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:19 pm

malekith1979 wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:
Try Mame. 8)
Now I'm gonna sound really lame/stupid, but how would one go about acquiring MAME? One of my friends used to have it many years ago on his PC and it was great! You have to pay for everything nowadays ROM-wise don't you. Which is totally correct, of course. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated :?
No you dont pay, you download MAME for free and obtain the roms from plenty of sites (if your morals allow) - obviously, one cannot give you a link to these or even mention Rom World but a google search will give you what you need.

But you get MAME from here:
http://mamedev.org

But I would go for this as it has a nice front end and saves all the faffing about
http://www.mameui.info/
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the info, very handy and much appreciated! Can't wait to try it 8)

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 am

It has GOT to be SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium on Neo Geo Pocket. Nothing has come close to just how much fun that game is & I don't think anything will...