Whats your favourite SEGA console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: Whats your favourite SEGA console

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

I loved the MD II... until mine broke. :(

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:26 pm

For me, its got to be the MD. Sonic, SOR2, Splatterhouse 2, Thuder Force 4, John Madden... Happy times.

No console since has given me the same feeling of pure joy from gaming.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm

I jumped from a C64 (which I adored) to a megadrive with Sonic for Christmas in 1991.. you can imagine my utter amazement at the graphics, the sound, the speed! So the megadrive clinches it for me.

Close behind however is the Dreamcast which I'm just discovering after snapping one up for a bargain price on ebay. I played Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu a bit back in the day but now I'm experiencing Shenmue and thoroughly enjoying Virtua Tennis 2, one of the best four player games in my collection! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:41 pm

I have to agree with the above, its very split between the two systems.

Master System impressed, but I never really lived with one so its just a passing romance.

The MD was my first Sega love (if we ignore the Mrs Robinson of Sega Turbo in the arcade), but the Dreamcast was a late bloomer I became dedicated to.

I'm looking at thinning my collection to key titles, and the DC is one I find hard to make that separation from. Too much time spent actively pursuing significant games instead of casual acquisition.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Master System for me. It was the system I most looked forward to owning, the 1st system that was mine and not my brothers, lots of people I knew owned one, it felt like being part of a movement. I loved my MD too but never bothered with the saturn or DC, which I dont regret.

Even though when I look back, the game's were kinda censored, the pad was horrible and that damn flicker use to do my head in, nostalgia wins the day and my heart.

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:01 am

The megadrive does seem to have a place in a lot of peoples hearts, mine still sits under the TV, currently with a copy of jungle strike sat in it
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 am

My personal favourite is the Master System, but that's probably also due to the fact it was the first Sega console I had (way back in 1990).

It had it's fair share of stinkers, and the least said about the game covers the better - but with a library containing some great games such as R Type, Wonderboy, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Sonic, Psycho Fox to name but a few (a corking version of Operation Wolf I may add)......even when the Mega Drive was king of the hill, I was still happily playing on my trusty SMS.

I did however get a Mega Drive a few years later though, and this also is a top machine.......but just does not hold the old memories of the SMS.

martin8777

Post by martin8777 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Megadrive Mark I for me, just started playing my old one again after finding it at my parents' house.

Awesome bit of kit! :D

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm

The mark 1 is far nicer in my opinion than the second model, although its the second model sitting under my tv, simply due to size
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Very difficult for me to choose between the Mark 1 Megadrive, Mark 1 Saturn & Dreamcast. Sonic The Hedgehog on the MD got me into Videogames and i also loved the first 2 S.O.R games, Shining Force II, Toejam & Earl, Psycho Pinball and MM2 Turbo Tournament amongst others. The Saturn had some memorable games with Nights Into Dreams, Guardian Heroes & Shining Force III all being in my top 25 best ever. The Dreamcast had Skies Of Arcadia & Ecco The Dolphin: Defender Of The Future both of which are in my top 10 best games ever list as well as having classics like Soul Calibur, Phantasy Star Online which online i spent countless sleepless nights playing, Res Code Veronica, Shenmue 1 & 2 & the fiendishly addictive Chu Chu Rocket as well as i.m.o one of the best multiplayer games ever in Powerstone 2. I would probably pick the Dreamcast if it wasn't for the Sonic series on MD but i'm not sure.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm

The Megadrive wins hands down. So many great games that are still brilliantly playable today. Road Rash, SoR, Sonic, Dynamite H, Gunstar, Fifa, Alien Soldier, Thunderforce and many many more.
Couple it with a lovely image quality and a nice controller and you have a superb machine. Definately the era of Sega at their prime at home and in the arcade.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:46 pm

I loved Dynamite Heady but it's so bloody hard especially to complete! Another MD game i forgot to mention was Alisia Dragoon. Really loved the world and music and thought it was a really good platformer.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm

I want to get another MD.....
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Megadrive Mk1 for me - great games and it looked cool

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Genesis (here on the other side of the pond). Why does everyone hate the Game Gear? I thought it was a fine handheld. Unlike my Game Boy, I could play the Game Gear in the dark in bed without my parents finding out. :)