Thoughts on Spectrum iPad/iPhone emulator

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What do you think of Elite's Spectrum emulator?

It's very good
36%
It's okay, but isn't without its issues
41%
I don't like it
23%

Total votes: 22

CraigGrannell

Re: Thoughts on Spectrum iPad/iPhone emulator

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 am

ipmarks wrote:Agree with previous poster that Lords of Midnight would be a fantastic release. Please Elite, release that game soon.
Given that Lords of Midnight is currently being remade for iOS, by DOS-porter Chris Wild, it wouldn't shock me if LoM and Doomdark's Revenge don't end up on the Speccy emulator for a while.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:18 am

It's a great idea, I love the fact that it exists. It's not too expensive, has some decent game choices & it's only fair that the IP holders get a slice of the pie.

I've got it & I even bought the Monty Mole & Gollop gamepacks.

When all is said & done however I very rarely play it. Although it's very well designed & the controls are as well implemented as they could be, it's just nowhere near as fun to play the likes of Auf Wiedersehen Monty as it is when it's emulated on a psp, or better yet an actual Spectrum.

As for games I'd like to see. Stuff that doesn't involve pixel perfect jumps, games like Rockstar Ate My Hamster, or Football Manager 2, Software Star or The Biz
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 am

the_hawk wrote:it's just nowhere near as fun to play the likes of Auf Wiedersehen Monty as it is when it's emulated on a psp, or better yet an actual Spectrum
That and it's often hard to justify buying a game for a system that it wasn't designed for. That said, the Elite version of Battleships poops all over any other version for iOS, including the official one by EA.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
ipmarks wrote:Agree with previous poster that Lords of Midnight would be a fantastic release. Please Elite, release that game soon.
Given that Lords of Midnight is currently being remade for iOS, by DOS-porter Chris Wild, it wouldn't shock me if LoM and Doomdark's Revenge don't end up on the Speccy emulator for a while.
Thats great news - perfect games for the ipad/pod.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Been playing Jet Set Willy on the iPhone and LOVE it. Obviously a C64 emu like this would be far better though.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm

markopoloman wrote:Obviously a C64 emu like this would be far better though.
Do you mean by that statement that the ZX one is far superior to the current C64 app? I certainly wish the C64 app was playable but for me, its not :(
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:30 pm

I really like it. Read recently that Matthew Smith got a nice bit of wedge as his games are now on it so thats great news.

I'm pretty crap playing with the keys, i set most of the games to use the joystick and i'm getting quite used to it now but did take a bit of practice.

There are some right duffers in there though, i bought the Starquake/Wizards Lair pack which both are excellent, but some of the other games bundled in (Crappy not really well known basic type games) are dire to add. Would rather it have 3 games in that pack not 6 if the others are shocking affairs.

Games i would love to see are of course Commando/Bomb Jack but i heard as theyre arcade conversions it might be more trickier to get permissions for (But as Merman pointed out they released Bomb Jack on mobile phones so you never know, they must have a contact).

Love the way it saves progress. Really like the way it looks. I'm like a kid again getting excited when i know the new packs are coming out (Now coming out every 2 months) and seeing what names there are. I hope to see some Hewson packs in the future (Being a british company it might be 'easier' to get hold of the games/permissions etc), again i would love coin op games but thats trickier.

Rebelstar is great to play on it, the second you quit it saves your progress so its good to dip in and out. I've read a few moans from purists moaning about the emulation but it seems fine to me.

I've got totally used to the touchscreen controls so i think platform games work very well on it. I hope theyre selling alright and will continue to, its brilliant getting the new games every 2 months. I've got them all
liveinabin wrote:Well I kinda like it, but for me one of the strengths of the Spectrum was that it was much more than just a cheap games console. The BASIC was so accessible and awesome. Until I see that implemented, my interest will remain minimal.
Think it would be suicide to include that with it. Why would you have access to basic on the Speccy ? Type a few lines of 10 PRINT "Hello" etc ? Just no point. Of course the Speccy was much more than a games computer but the vast majority of kids in the 80's used it for games. Wouldnt expect anything different now, Elite want to make money, they'll do that with games not an app for Speccy basic

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:39 pm

psj3809 wrote:I really like it. Read recently that Matthew Smith got a nice bit of wedge as his games are now on it so thats great news.
Also, smart of Elite to capture the moment the cheque was handed over. Perhaps this will shut up the idiots who moan about having to pay for something that someone still owns the rights to.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I really like it. Read recently that Matthew Smith got a nice bit of wedge as his games are now on it so thats great news.
Also, smart of Elite to capture the moment the cheque was handed over. Perhaps this will shut up the idiots who moan about having to pay for something that someone still owns the rights to.
I wouldnt mind if the game was £9.99 and companies were trying to milk retro for everything and a lot of people were anti this, but i'm still stunned on the ipod how cheap games are. People moan about when a games 59p or 99p for christ sake ! There we were in the 80's, 40p a week pocket money, trying to keep up with the pace of games at £7.95 etc, near impossible hence tons of taping.

Now roll forward and theres quality games for a few pence or a quid or so, bargain. Even with a couple of terrible games in some of the apps (Some of the Steve Crow games are dire apart from of course Wizards Lair/Starquake) theyre still well worth it considering how cheap they are. Like i say it was great to see Matthew Smith getting that money. A few years back there were rumours he would do another Speccy game, worth thinking about again as Elite could release it as a standalone app.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

The app is nice for me as i never had a Spectrum so ive enjoyed playing through some of games for the first time. Saboteur ive enjoyed alot the last week.

The controlls are ok, some games not so good as others, as some have said. The key customisation is pretty good though and you can usually get them in a pretty comfortable configuration.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Joey wrote:The controls are ok, some games not so good as others, as some have said. The key customisation is pretty good though and you can usually get them in a pretty comfortable configuration.
Interesting.

Speaking as the author of six of the games, I was wondering if you thought there were any changes which maybe could have been made to some of the Spectrum games themselves to better adapt them to the platform, or is it more of an emulation issue as far as you're concerned?
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:40 pm

I think it's just the limitation of on screen keys and their lack of tactile feedback, not really the fault of the author. The key customisation is pretty good, as I said, so it's not as though the user is being forced to play with one set configuration. All it takes is a bit of practice and you can play a good game with it and I'm playing on iPad.

It does annoy me when you read app store reviews and the user slates the app for poor controls when they have only played it for 5 mins and gave up. I've wrote many app store reviews maintaing the fact that it takes time to grasp the controls for some of these games and giving up because you don't get it straight away is a waste.

martin8777

Post by martin8777 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:04 pm

It allows me to play Chaos so I'm happy with it!