Thoughts on Spectrum iPad/iPhone emulator

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What do you think of Elite's Spectrum emulator?

It's very good
36%
It's okay, but isn't without its issues
41%
I don't like it
23%

Total votes: 22

Darran@Retro Gamer

Thoughts on Spectrum iPad/iPhone emulator

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

We're doing a news story on the success of Elite's spectrum emulator
Feel free to take part in the following poll.

Also what other game packs would you like to see on it?

Morkin

Re: Thoughts on Spectrum iPad/iPhone emulator

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

I've only tried the Lite version & therefore only played Batty & to be honest, it's not my cup of tea as I can't cope with the touch controls. :oops:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Well, it seems I was the first to vote "It's very good". It may not yet have an especially large number of games from which to choose but what do people expect? Its on iPhone for heaven's sake! With the control options available, and in having the choice to configure them, I don't see what more they could have realistically done to better it. Yes, playing certain game genres where pixel perfect precision is required, e.g when attempting to jump on certain platform games, will always be a pain using a touch screen. But that's the inherent "fault" of the device itself, not Elite's. But this is the internet where some folk feel entitled to whine about pretty much anything no matter how invalid their point may be just because they can!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 pm

The emulation is good, the presentation is good, the pricing is good and the choice of games is ok so far. What lets it down (on small i-devices like the iphone and ipod anyway) is the controls.

Having virtual 'keys' on the touchscreen doesn't offer sufficient feedback often resulting in mistimed moves/jumps etc and the game screen is so small that once you've stuck two clublike thumbs on there its often difficult to see properly.

So a great idea, well executed let down by unsuitable hardware. That said I haven't tried one of those fling sticks, no idea if that would improve it much, I would also imagine its significantly better if you're lucky enough to own an Ipad..

I voted OK with issues.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I love it ! , i must admit though i wasn't a big fan of it on the iphone , but its a whole new ball game on the ipad , much more room on the screen (obviously) makes it far easier to use the touch controls and its a lot easier on the eyes .

The packs are good value for money (thanks for pointing that out Craig) and some of the newer speccy games have already made their way onto the app , farmer jack and the amazing gamex amongst others etc.

I also think games such as Jet set willy , monty mole , manic miner , astronut are a joy to play on it , the only game i have had some finger / touchscreen trouble is chuckie egg so far (maybe due to the speed of Harry).

I'd love to see a Beyond package on there - again obviously The Lords of Midnight would be a major plus , it would transfer really well as would Doomdarks revenge / shadowfire and Psytron.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 pm

You can change the screen size from full screen to a smaller window if you find your thumbs are getting in the way.

I think it's great, but depends on the game you're trying to play. Some play terribly with touch screen controls. Some - like Frank Bruno's Boxing - are fine.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm

I thought the control options offered were very good last time I tried the emulator—way beyond most other touch-based virtual sticks/fire combos, and the means of putting multiples of a specific control on the screen provides excellent flexibility. The only snag—and I've no idea if this has been fixed yet—is that customisation often results in hideous interfaces from an aesthetic standpoint, since the keys didn't stretch in a smart way, there were no guides, and the resized screen didn't stretch with its aspect ratio locked.

On the games side of things, the selections are good and the pricing on the iPhone is more than reasonable; doubling the prices for the iPad (for the exact same content) is a pretty reprehensible decision, not least because your purchases aren't cross-device, and so if you buy a pack for the iPhone, you not only have to buy it again on the iPad (bad, but par for the course with many iOS devs), but it costs twice as much (two times bad). (I'm fine with the iPad app costing more, just not the IAPs.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Yes, playing certain game genres where pixel perfect precision is required, e.g when attempting to jump on certain platform games, will always be a pain using a touch screen. But that's the inherent "fault" of the device itself, not Elite's.
No, I'd say it was Elite's fault for including them.
You can't just throw in any old game even though you know it's not suited to the device controls.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:07 pm

stvd wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Yes, playing certain game genres where pixel perfect precision is required, e.g when attempting to jump on certain platform games, will always be a pain using a touch screen. But that's the inherent "fault" of the device itself, not Elite's.
No, I'd say it was Elite's fault for including them.
You can't just throw in any old game even though you know it's not suited to the device controls.
No, that's a subjective opinion. A game one person considers to be unsuited when played on iPhone may be considered the opposite by another person.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't think it's subjective.
If the controls aren't responsive or don't work as expected then I can't
see how someone would think otherwise.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:12 pm

I love it... but really only because I can play Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the move, for those games I think the controls work well.
My other favourite game in the selection is Turbo Esprit, but this is almost unplayable, as you cannot locate the keys correctly or quick enough to turn the car.

Think Elite should consider whether the games work with the control system before putting them out. Agree with previous poster that Lords of Midnight would be a fantastic release. Please Elite, release that game soon.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Have a couple of packs on the iPad, the control as are just not good enough, was not impressed.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I like it. The packs are priced quite right, it's faithful to it's source, and it's a great little emulator. Only downside is the controls. Sometimes, they aren't as responsive as I thought they could, nay, SHOULD be. Sometimes, the button presses don't always register, which is a bit of a problem, especially with Skool Daze.
On the whole, I clicked Ok, not without it's issues.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 pm

stvd wrote:I don't think it's subjective.
If the controls aren't responsive or don't work as expected then I can't
see how someone would think otherwise.
Fair point, generally speaking. I was seeking to make the distinction that some people will be more nimble fingered than others which would I'd have thought go some way in determining how well they get on with playing said games.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Well I kinda like it, but for me one of the strengths of the Spectrum was that it was much more than just a cheap games console. The BASIC was so accessible and awesome. Until I see that implemented, my interest will remain minimal.