Why Isn't Emulation Good Enough??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Re: Why Isn't Emulation Good Enough??

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 am

FatTrucker wrote:Use PSX mate, the compatibility is better, there aren't any plug-ins to worry about, the emulation is virtually 1:1 and using the simple in-built bilinear filter makes the games look great.
Damn, ive been using ePSXe and whilst its great, I too seem to spend more time faffing about with plugins etc.
Will have to give this a try.... :D
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am

I hate plug-ins - why can't I just unzip the file or install the executable and it just works? Don't want to have to Google for BIOSs or drivers or whatever, why can't it all be in one download?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I hate plug-ins - why can't I just unzip the file or install the executable and it just works? Don't want to have to Google for BIOSs or drivers or whatever, why can't it all be in one download?
Well with the bios, basically because its a rom. Its subject to copyright and any emulator including it would be quickly squeezed out of existence.

For the rest though, as I mentioned above, PSX is great. DL the emulator, show it where the Bios is, load the ISO directly using the emulator file menu. No plug-ins, no disk mounting, no messing. It also does the PS1 startup sequence unlike ePSXe.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 am

Actually I do understand with the BIOSs (just couldn't think of too many file associations and suchlike off the top of my head), but it's strange that some emus give you an option whether to use one or not. Eh, if it doesn't need one to work, why should I download one?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Actually I do understand with the BIOSs (just couldn't think of too many file associations and suchlike off the top of my head), but it's strange that some emus give you an option whether to use one or not. Eh, if it doesn't need one to work, why should I download one?
Region specific titles etc. If you look at disk based systems like the PS1, Saturn, MegaCD etc, then the bioses for different regions determine what games the emulator will run. No good running your MegaCD emulator with the US bios and trying to run a Japanese ISO.
There's also the fact that in-built bioses in an emulator will be using a non-infringing method to reach the same results as the original bios files. Sometimes that method isn't 100% perfect and some games will require a complete original bios rather than an emulated 'close enough' one.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

FatTrucker wrote:DL the emulator, show it where the Bios is, load the ISO directly using the emulator file menu. No plug-ins, no disk mounting, no messing
Looked at the game compatability list on the official web site - seems like quite a few of the games I have do not run without minor / major glitches - But, I will still give it a whirl!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:DL the emulator, show it where the Bios is, load the ISO directly using the emulator file menu. No plug-ins, no disk mounting, no messing
Looked at the game compatability list on the official web site - seems like quite a few of the games I have do not run without minor / major glitches - But, I will still give it a whirl!
Not found anything it can't run yet, and several games that wouldn't run at all in ePSXe (Shipwreckers, Skull Monkeys etc) worked fine with PSX. I also found FFVII was horribly broken with ePSXe, even after using the correct plug-ins and enabling all the game specific fixes I found the game would randomly crash some of the graphics on certain screens, really f**king annoying when you're several hours in and it seemingly at random decides its not going to handle a certain graphical effect any further so you can't progress.

I think the last or latest version of PSX was 1.13 or thereabouts.

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

C=Style wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty much the same in that respect. I love the fact the Wii has an advantage over the Xbox in low res progressive support. However, tbh when it comes to C64 I just play it in 480i with bi-linear filtering with simple 2x, of course stretched out to the correct aspect ratio (which happens to fit perfectly into a 16:9 display), and it's the only emulator I play in widescreen. I don't mind a bit of blur with this system. Don't get me wrong, if it non- interlace supported I'd probably use it, though unlike other emulators it deosn't stop me from enjoying 100%.
I know what you mean. I'm using a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT, and vice64x looks fine on it. With the touch of blur from the rescale filter it actually looks quite similar to how it did back in the day when I used to have my c64 hooked up to a little 16inch telly. It's more that i just want the option to try it in lowres progressive, just to see if it looks exactly like how it used to, in which case I'd probably be tempted to stick a little commodore badge on my wii and paint the case beige. :)
C=Style wrote:When it comes to Amiga I play in 720 x 576 it is so detailed with point filtering and no Flicker/Soft filter. It can flicker like crazy though some TV's. A 100hz CRT soon sorts that out though.
Yeah, i love how you can rescale the image in winuaex until it is exactly 2x so that no filtering is needed. Looks good.

btw, my version of vice64x is v7, so i'll definitely be sticking to that. I don't actually use gamebase anyway. I just dumped all my favourite games into a folder, and then i awkwardly browse through that to find what I'm after. Presentation-wise, it's a crappy way to choose what to play, but it does kind of recreate the feeling of digging through a poorly organised disk box full of copied disks. ;)
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 am

Pixiu wrote: I know what you mean. I'm using a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT, and vice64x looks fine on it. With the touch of blur from the rescale filter it actually looks quite similar to how it did back in the day when I used to have my c64 hooked up to a little 16inch telly. It's more that i just want the option to try it in lowres progressive, just to see if it looks exactly like how it used to, in which case I'd probably be tempted to stick a little commodore badge on my wii and paint the case beige. :)
Haha mate, yeah that's be awesome. I kind of pretend my Xbox is a C= machine lol, I only really have Vice64x and WinUAEx in my emulators folder in XBMC. I have FBA, MednefenPCEX and MAMEox on my other spare Xbox as they are way too good not to have them, but I'd love to somehow make my main Xbox look like an old Amiga or something but I'm definitely not handy enough too take on such a project. But I agree that the C64 emulation even without progressive support still looks very close to how it did back in the day (probably a hell of a lot better as I used to use RF mostly as a kid).
Pixiu wrote:
Yeah, i love how you can rescale the image in winuaex until it is exactly 2x so that no filtering is needed. Looks good.

btw, my version of vice64x is v7, so i'll definitely be sticking to that. I don't actually use gamebase anyway. I just dumped all my favourite games into a folder, and then i awkwardly browse through that to find what I'm after. Presentation-wise, it's a crappy way to choose what to play, but it does kind of recreate the feeling of digging through a poorly organised disk box full of copied disks. ;)
Perfect, don't upgrade as the sound stutters and it's so important to have great sound with C64! I'm not sure how easy it is to get a full Gamebase 64 set up now as Xbox isn't as popular as it once was. But it's definitely worth having, especially if you use the HyperSpinX skin from likklebaer, I think it looks so good. There used to be loads of torrents floating about. I'll pm you a link to probably the best XBox site on the net today, it has quite a few emulators already pre-made and ready to go, maybe even Vice64X. If you're not interested it doesn't matter, I'll send it anyway as it's a handy site to know.

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am

I have tried emulators, but I just don't like it. I'm a purist I have to have the hardware it just feels right

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm

C=Style wrote: I'll pm you a link to probably the best XBox site on the net today, it has quite a few emulators already pre-made and ready to go, maybe even Vice64X. If you're not interested it doesn't matter, I'll send it anyway as it's a handy site to know.
Awesome, thanks for that. I'm quite out of touch with the most recent mame builds for xbox, so that thread with the various versions of Coinops should come in very handy. :D
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Not found anything it can't run yet
Well, my first try was Bubble Bobble Feat Rainbow Islands (not a huge suprise that choice!!) and it worked perfectly :D

My second try was my 2nd fav retro footy game ever (first being ISS64) World League Soccer 98 and......it doesn't even start, gets to the PS boot screen and goes back to the emu main menu screen :( Damn shame, but I will keep on trying cos its a neat, very easy to use emulator

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:25 am

sg1000 wrote:I have tried emulators, but I just don't like it. I'm a purist I have to have the hardware it just feels right
In an ideal world i think we would all have the original computers/consoles. For many of us we've 'converted' to emulators due to lack of space/wife not happy with machines and cables everywhere and for me most of all - time. I love playing retro games but have a lot less time, if i had to wait minutes to load a game or wait for the missus to finish watching her progs and then i can connect my console/computer it just wouldnt work for me personally.

With emulators i can play a ton of games on a mobile handheld whenever i want, just makes it easier, less space, quicker to play etc.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Played real megadrive other day.I forgot how crap the sound is on the system.But then i forgot we used to live in days before we had DSP/frequency selector we have on modern computers.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm really looking forward to trying out MAME for the first time. But every time I try to launch a game, I get an error message that states file names affixed with "NOT FOUND". Hate to sound stupid but I've done everything that the FAQs told me to do including auditing the ROMS. It's all to no avail. I just want to play Robocop, UN Squadron and Gang Wars again. BOO :cry: