Top 10 Hardest SNES Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Top 10 Hardest SNES Games

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 pm

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/03/ ... nes-games/

Whilst I agree with a lot of it there are a few strange choices. Sim City is a strange one to call hard, as you can't win or lose as such unless you ran out of money. Also Donkey Kong Country? If anything I thought that game was too easy and aside from a few tricky sections didn't take more than a couple of days to complete. Surprised they omitted Castlevania Vampire's Kiss, Mario Kart at 150cc, Unirally or Plok as they could be merciless

Contra/Super Probotector was a good call though. I could breeze through the game on easy and normal but hard was just something else. It was the right type of difficult, where every time you died you felt it was your own fault as opposed to bad game design. The Star Wars games on the other hand were just plain unfair and haven't aged well.

robo2

Re: Top 10 Hardest SNES Games

Post by robo2 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Its a fair list, hagane is definately right for number one i would have ghouls n ghosts and rtype at 2 and 3, the rest i have completed and were all reasonably difficult, plok is a good call as that took me a good month to complete and was a pain in the arse due to not being able to save. Other games that were really hard for the snes - ninja gaiden trilogy (which is probably on the nes list), actriaser 2 was ridiculously hard - far harder than the first one, battletoads, pocky + rocky 1 + 2 are fairly hard

webding

Post by webding » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm too lazy to watch the video, but if Zombies Ate My Neighbours isn't in there, then there's something wrong. Good game, but I remember giving up in it, and as a teenager shelling out 10 lots of 5 quid paper rounds per game, I'd usually put up a fight.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 pm

One of the hardest SNES games I remember playing was Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, that was pretty ridiculous from what I can recall, which was a bit of a shame as I liked the 1st SNES Addams Family game a lot, but just felt that PSH was just a cheap game (the level progression wasn't as in depth either, which also annoyed me), I'm sure I could have done it easy enough with practice and memorisation, but it was frustrating to the level where I lost interest pretty quickly.

Super Contra doesn't deserve to be in any such list at all, I don't know about hard mode, but if anything normal was too short and easy, I think rating it just on the difficulty of its hard mode is a bit questionable overall.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:37 am

I hadn't heard of Hagane before. It's hard, but is it fun? Worth playing?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:38 am

Not able to watch the vid, but I think WeaponLord's gotta be in there - even on the easiest setting, that game is brutal.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:11 am

Turtles Tournament Fighters should be in that list I think as that is a very hard game.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 am

No Pugsley's, no Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Actraiser 2... Hmm.
Mind you, they did say at least one person on the review team had to have beaten the game for it to be included in the list.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Haabermaaster

Post by Haabermaaster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 am

Ghosts and goblins killed people in real life. That's how punishing it was. :cry:

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 am

Dragons Lair was hard.Just trying to input a password at the start was a nightmare.

robo2

Post by robo2 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:43 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:I hadn't heard of Hagane before. It's hard, but is it fun? Worth playing?

its a decent game ruined by its extreme level of difficulty, if you enjoy super ghouls n ghosts (another game ruined in my opinion by extreme difficulty) then you might enjoy this

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I found Earthworm Jim to be rather tough. I do like it but man Shinys overall design of their games is pretty bad.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

llj

Post by llj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Actraiser 2 was hard and cheap. That is the only SNES game that stands out in my mind as groin-kick hard.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm

C=Style wrote:Turtles Tournament Fighters should be in that list I think as that is a very hard game.
never played the snes version but the megadrive one was brutal
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 pm

snowkatt wrote:
C=Style wrote:Turtles Tournament Fighters should be in that list I think as that is a very hard game.
never played the snes version but the megadrive one was brutal
ENDLESS SCREW!!!
ENDLESS SCREW!!!
ENDLESS SCREW!!!
ENDLESS SCREW!!!

Much hilarity to be had with Leonardo there. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.