Gaming Time Machine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SonicTheHedgehog

Re: Gaming Time Machine

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah i was only 6 in 1990 and was introduced to gaming around the same time so i can see your point. But i think the 90s as a whole was the golden era as in not just the first half with the MD/SNES but the 32/64bit era and DC era as well. Its been downhill since Sega died i.m.o.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

NRGuk

Post by NRGuk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Yep early 90's for me too, when I first got my MD and SNES! Such a great time for gaming, maybe because I had time to enjoy it more, or maybe because it was all so new and exciting, but probably because the games were so much better.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Late 80s/early 90s for me! I wasn't born until 1986 and lived nowhere near an amusement arcade, but when I did get to go inside one (which wasn't often as my parents wouldn't let me... they'd say to me "You've got video games at home"), it was freakin' awesome. The incredible super fast graphics, thumping sounds and addictive gameplay of the coin-ops were more than what our commy 128 and even the Amiga could offer, even though there were some playable arcade ports on both machines.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:19 pm

The 90's were really a time of amusement arcades going out of fashion, all there were being released were fighting games and not much else and they startred becoming like £1 per play instead of 10p or 20p. Not much innovation left and too expensive for me. Also the micro-computer scene was slowly on it's way out by then being monopolised by more expensive console games, and of course the modern PC/internet era began.

So I'd like to take a trip back through the 1970's, 1980's and first half of the 1990's to relive again (like it was for the first time), there was always innovation and while it doesn't seem impressive now to many, back then I was a wide-eyed kid marvelling at all the new concepts. The only real criticism was that consoles and cartridges such as Atari were just as expensive then as they are now, or even moreso. But for Commodore and Speccy games, they would be as cheap as £1.99 per game by the mid 80's. It was the best time for creativitiy and originality too. By the latter half of the 80's, full games (not just demos) were appearing on cover-cassettes on magazines. I built up a bigger collection this way.

It was also about trying to push computers past it's obvious limits, but today consoles and modern PC's are so powerful it's really become a redundant thing. It also seems very much harder to be original nowadays, and unlike back in the 80's, the average person can no longer create a classic hit game in their bedroom and sell it to a company for megamoney. The 1980's was the golden age to be a computer programmer in the UK.

Good times :)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I am going to be a bit of a party pooper here I think and write that with a queue of games to play both old and new about a mile long, I find it very hard to wish to be anywhere, gaming-wise, other than in the present.

That said, I would like to be able to go back and relive my C64 days and play a few more RPGs. Unfortunately I didn't have the patience for slow-paced games so it was all shooters, platformers and Arkanoid clones for me. Even then, it would be quite easy for me to make amends either by emulation or dusting off the C64 and booting it up on the original hardware. But at the moment I don't have as many hours to spare.

So the main thing I miss about from the past is the amount of time I had ...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm

I'd say late 80s to early 90s, as that's when the good stuff came along, and home micros where being pushed as far as their microchips could go. Who wondered at the power behind Spectrum Chase HQ? Who marvelled at Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga, and hummed along to the Sid chip music that played as you loaded Shinobi?

The arcade scene was booming, the home computer scene was the strongest, and next gen console gaming was just around the corner. It was an exciting time, especially with news from the land of the rising sun about two new consoles from Sega & Nintendo to take over the reigns from their current machines.

It was also the time of creativity, with games like Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Toobin', Final Fight and The Simpsons Arcade all wanting to take our cash from our grubby little hands. Yep, that's the time, if I could live again, that I'd pick. And have it on constant loop (until the tape breaks :lol: ).
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:14 am

JetSetWilly wrote:I'd say late 80s to early 90s, as that's when the good stuff came along, and home micros where being pushed as far as their microchips could go. Who wondered at the power behind Spectrum Chase HQ? Who marvelled at Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga, and hummed along to the Sid chip music that played as you loaded Shinobi?

The arcade scene was booming, the home computer scene was the strongest, and next gen console gaming was just around the corner. It was an exciting time, especially with news from the land of the rising sun about two new consoles from Sega & Nintendo to take over the reigns from their current machines.

It was also the time of creativity, with games like Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Toobin', Final Fight and The Simpsons Arcade all wanting to take our cash from our grubby little hands. Yep, that's the time, if I could live again, that I'd pick. And have it on constant loop (until the tape breaks :lol: ).
JSW makes a compelling argument but I'm gonna have to stick with the present, only downside being the misery of choice! Not just the variety of games out there but the diffent formats to play em on too. You could never buy a game or system in your life and there would still be thousands of free games on the Internet to play, good times.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:36 am

If I were going back in time, I think I'd probably go 10 years earlier than my own real time.

That would make me old enough to spend more time at the early arcade scene of the 70s as well as being able to properly engage with the punk scene.

By the time the 80s came around I'd have a regular income to spend on computers and games, freeing me from the restrictions of pocket money and presents (though I'd perhaps miss the wide tape to tape circle I was at the centre of).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.