Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
Vir_Lucis
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 am

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:45 am

Ok thanks, good to know it will only be an issue with a few games. My main concern obviously is Guardian Heroes - because if I'm going to spend the £30-odd to pick it up PAL then I want to know it won't have this issue. Can anyone confirm that PAL Guardian Heroes works/looks fine on an NTSC-J with Action Replay?

For the record, Rayman doesn't seem sped up at all (unless that game is particularly slow to begin with, never played it) as for a platformer it feels slightly slower than most already.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

Mootown wrote:Panzer Saga was optimised a bit but actually runs ok at 60hz.
I've only got the first disc of Saga (as given away with SSM) so I may have to bow to your knowledge, but doesn't it have a small border at the top and a FAR bigger one at the bottom? That way it wouldn't be cropped running at stretched 60Hz?

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
Mootown wrote:Panzer Saga was optimised a bit but actually runs ok at 60hz.
I've only got the first disc of Saga (as given away with SSM) so I may have to bow to your knowledge, but doesn't it have a small border at the top and a FAR bigger one at the bottom? That way it wouldn't be cropped running at stretched 60Hz?
I used to have a switched pal saturn (50/60hz switch) and I played Saga all the way through at 60hz. It was only when I got the Japanese version and played it at 60hz did I notice a difference - the Japanese one was a bit slower and maybe (just maybe - I can't remember now) there was a tiny bit of the screen cut off on the UK one at 60hz, but nothing game breaking.

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Do you guys worry if Japanese games don't have a spinecard, and does it really affect the value?

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by felgekarp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 pm

I don't worry about it but it seems to affect the value on ebay :D
Splink!

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25269
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Do you guys worry if Japanese games don't have a spinecard, and does it really affect the value?
Dose it effect how they play?

User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by retrosofer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:Ok thanks, good to know it will only be an issue with a few games. My main concern obviously is Guardian Heroes - because if I'm going to spend the £30-odd to pick it up PAL then I want to know it won't have this issue. Can anyone confirm that PAL Guardian Heroes works/looks fine on an NTSC-J with Action Replay?

For the record, Rayman doesn't seem sped up at all (unless that game is particularly slow to begin with, never played it) as for a platformer it feels slightly slower than most already.

I have got a Saturn with the 50/60hz switch and i used to own the PAL Guardian Heroes. The PAL version is optimized for 50hz and running it at 60hz causes some major graphical glitching to the point that the game is instantly unplayable. Some games that are optimized for 50hz will just cut abit off the bottom of the picture, like overscan, but others like Guardian Heroes displayes major graphical gliching, same for Earthworm Jim 2. So you might have to get the North American version, thats the only way to play the game in 60hz in English.

As for Panzer Dragoon Saga, im actually playing through the game now in 60hz, and there is no problems, the game is actually optimezed for 50hz.

The list at segasaturn.co.uk lists all games whether they are optimized for 50hz or 60hz, although its not a complete games list.

The 50/60hz switch mod is pretty easy to do for the Saturn, supprised alot more people dont do it.

User avatar
Vir_Lucis
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 am

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for letting me know, that would have been seriously annoying! As for the 50/60hz switch, I think I'll probably end up just buying a PAL Saturn as well as you can pick them up for less than £20 quite often and it saves me the stress of most likely bricking my mint NTSC-J one!
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by speedlolita » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Do you guys worry if Japanese games don't have a spinecard, and does it really affect the value?
Dose it effect how they play?
With that attitude you might as well pirate them, imo.

I only buy games with spinecards, otherwise they aren't complete. Innit.

In regards to the 50/60hz switch, yeah don't do it on a nice JP machine!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Fred83
Posts: 6997
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Fred83 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:08 pm

speedlolita wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Do you guys worry if Japanese games don't have a spinecard, and does it really affect the value?
Dose it effect how they play?
With that attitude you might as well pirate them, imo.

I only buy games with spinecards, otherwise they aren't complete. Innit.

In regards to the 50/60hz switch, yeah don't do it on a nice JP machine!
i dont think the value of spineless jap games falls too much tbh.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25269
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm

speedlolita wrote:
DPrinny wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Do you guys worry if Japanese games don't have a spinecard, and does it really affect the value?
Dose it effect how they play?
With that attitude you might as well pirate them, imo.

I only buy games with spinecards, otherwise they aren't complete. Innit.
Nar I buy games to play not to look at on a shelf

speedlolita
Posts: 7056
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by speedlolita » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, I only buy complete games - with some exceptions..

Won't pay an extra £30 or so for a box and manual on an N64 game for example.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by retrosofer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:43 pm

I dont think the spinecards matter to be honest, as long as it has the cover and manual, and its all in good condition.

User avatar
stvd
Posts: 5137
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by stvd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

speedlolita wrote:Well, I only buy complete games

Well, that's pretty easy to do if you only have 4 of them!
Image

User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by retrosofer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

I do plan on getting more, but i'm not going to be fussy as to whether they have these spine cards, like i said as long as they work and are in good condition, its just a spine card, its not a manual or front cover.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DPrinny and 6 guests