Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Provvidenza

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Provvidenza » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I'm completely out of the loop with the Saturn and I've just got one. Save me reading through hundreds of posts, can anyone give me around 10 essential, affordable titles worth getting? Everyone likes doing lists right? :D
You can get a lot of bang for your buck retro gaming wise on the Sega Saturn, particulary if you go the NTSC-J route, here are some classics :-
vs fighting - STREET FIGHTER ZERO 2
shmup - LAYER SECTION
pinball - Digital Pinball LAST GLADIATORS
sport - DECATHLETE
driving - SEGA RALLY
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I'm completely out of the loop with the Saturn and I've just got one. Save me reading through hundreds of posts, can anyone give me around 10 essential, affordable titles worth getting? Everyone likes doing lists right? :D
These are my ten essential on a budget (reasonably affordable) Saturn games, in no particular order;
Panzer Dragoon 1& 2
Sega Rally Championship
Wipeout 2097
Fighters Megamix
Pandomonium
D
Dark Savour
Resident Evil
Sonic Jam (because with a 60hz switched Saturn and the console awesome controller its perfect for Sonic)
Deep Slope Sliders

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 am

Last Gladiators Pinball
Layer Section
Twinbee Collection
Vampire Savior
Nights
Sega Rally
Gunbird
Panzer Dragoon
Super Puzzle Figter 2 Turbo
Fighting Vipers

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:03 pm

some awesome looking games there guys. I have a few games now, some of which were bundled with the console and im not a fan of. Heres what i have so far

PAL

Wipeout
Quake
Panzer Dragoon
Sega Rally
Tunnel B1
Alien Trilogy

JP

Virtua Cop
KOF 95 No RAM :(
Puzzle Bobble 2
Fighting Vipers
Fighters Megamix
Clockwork Knight 2
Xmen Children of the Atom

Decent games so far although not liking some of the pal boxes. Will probably try for more JP titles as they take up less space and are easy enough to replace in the event they are damaged. Will be getting rid of some of my pal games i think as a few of them aren't my cup of tea. If anyone is up for doing some trades ive got a thread up in the trade section :D want to build up a decent selection for my new toy

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Just had a switchless mod done, holding the reset button switching regions and frequencies, gives me lovely full screen Burning Rangers!

Also, speaking of collecting Sega Saturn games, picked up Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon and Nights recently.
I'm not slow, I already have them for the Saturn for years, but I got them for my region free TEST PS2, and they're pretty damn good, Nights and Sega Rally in particular.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

Katamario

Post by Katamario » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:32 am

I have a super small Saturn collection, only 6 games, and its mainly because I rarely see them in the wild, and online they're never very cheap. I hafta buy them complete in box, im just like that with disc games. I'm also not a huge RPG guy and a lotta the best games on the Saturn are RPG's so, yea. Love the Saturn though, I have Nights into Dreams, which is amazing. Astal was the first game I got for it, cuz it's a 2D platformer, and it's gorgeous.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Ok , someone suggested I should invest in an Action Replay so i can enjoy some of the import stuff Ive seen in RetroGameBase - however Im not sure I can spare the cash yet. What has been asked of me whilst selling some of my collection is this

I have a copy of Wipeout 2097 on ebay at the moment and an American bidder has asked if this will be compatible with a US NTSC machine if using a Gameshark cartridge? She says it allows her to play Jap NTSC games but never tried a PAL one.

Could anyone shed a bit of light on this as Im relatively new to the Saturn and completely ignorant to the import scene.

Any help appreciated - even if it is to help me shift some of my games.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:25 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Ok , someone suggested I should invest in an Action Replay so i can enjoy some of the import stuff Ive seen in RetroGameBase - however Im not sure I can spare the cash yet. What has been asked of me whilst selling some of my collection is this

I have a copy of Wipeout 2097 on ebay at the moment and an American bidder has asked if this will be compatible with a US NTSC machine if using a Gameshark cartridge? She says it allows her to play Jap NTSC games but never tried a PAL one.

Could anyone shed a bit of light on this as Im relatively new to the Saturn and completely ignorant to the import scene.

Any help appreciated - even if it is to help me shift some of my games.
I got an Action Replay off Amazon for £20, they are not expensive but pretty much essential for any Saturn owner who doesn't want to go down the modding route.

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Yep the old AR is great. It even has the 4MB RAM expansion built in so you can play XMen vs Streetfighter.

However - beware - NTSC games will be forced to play at 50Hz. It isn't an issue with most games - so far I have only heard of one game glitching on a PAL machine with the AR because of the 50Hz refresh rate - but it is a biggie - the excellent Marvel v Streetfighter.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:42 am

davyK wrote:Yep the old AR is great. It even has the 4MB RAM expansion built in so you can play XMen vs Streetfighter.

However - beware - NTSC games will be forced to play at 50Hz. It isn't an issue with most games - so far I have only heard of one game glitching on a PAL machine with the AR because of the 50Hz refresh rate - but it is a biggie - the excellent Marvel v Streetfighter.
Vampire Saviour has messed-up audio and sound effects too when used with the AR Cart - again, a 50Hz issue. I got rid of my cart ages ago because it was useful but a modded machine that can do the region thing plus a 50/60Hz selection is just a better all-round option.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:49 am

Feeling the saturn love again now, determined to finish off my shmup collection next year, noticed that radiant silvergun prices have dropped but battle garegga has gone through the roof.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Feeling the saturn love again now, determined to finish off my shmup collection next year, noticed that radiant silvergun prices have dropped but battle garegga has gone through the roof.
I have both of those up for grabs if you need them?
Splink!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 am

I do need them but I can't really do any buying until after xmas.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I do need them but I can't really do any buying until after xmas.
Thyey've been available since the start of the year mate so I'm fairly confident they'll still be available after chrimbo.
Splink!