Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ironmonger

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by ironmonger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm

I like the later style cases too, and sometimes I see games that I have in the cardboard style pop up on ebay in the plastic case style. I think some of the best sellers must have been repackaged at some stage, I've recently seen Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, SWWS 97 and others in the plastic case... which kinda makes me want to re-buy them! Sad really. :?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:54 pm

adippm82 wrote:I have Nightstalkers in an original box, and the manual is so thick it bent the disc, had to stand it under some weights for days to get it to work!
It's hard to believe sega went out of the hardware business with this kind of planning :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:00 pm

adippm82 wrote: I have Nightwarriors in an original box, and the manual is so thick it bent the disc, had to stand it under some weights for days to get it to work!
Corrected the title for you there (my obligation as a Darkstalkers fan :lol: ) but yeah, that manual is pretty shocking stuff. My case doesn't even close so I just store it flat on top of the pile with the front hanging open so that the disc doesn't get bent.
Fightersmegamix wrote: It's hard to believe sega went out of the hardware business with this kind of planning :)
Well the manual is really the fault of Virgin who published the game. Loads of languages plus the paper it's printed on feels ridiculously thick like that recycled stuff in cheap kids colouring books :|
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

adippm82 wrote: I have Nightstalkers in an original box, and the manual is so thick it bent the disc, had to stand it under some weights for days to get it to work!
Is that what caused it? I remember buying it from Game and having to return it due to the disc being slightly bent (and not loading). I got an exchange but had the exact same problem with the second copy.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Megamixer wrote:
adippm82 wrote: I have Nightwarriors in an original box, and the manual is so thick it bent the disc, had to stand it under some weights for days to get it to work!
Corrected the title for you there (my obligation as a Darkstalkers fan :lol: ) but yeah, that manual is pretty shocking stuff. My case doesn't even close so I just store it flat on top of the pile with the front hanging open so that the disc doesn't get bent.
LOL, Nightstalkers, where did that name come from, I think that would be rather different game would it not, I have corrected the original post.
The manual to mine is on the outside usually, attached by a rubber band, not having a bent disc a second time.

Looking at Retrosofer's pictures and seeing his Sega Ages, I realised I was missing a few games, so I have added another picture to my set above

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:28 am

Hello Saturn fans.

So I'm thinking about buying a Saturn. There's a modded one going on eBay that's local to me and comes with a fair selection of games and I'm seriously tempted. It's a modded PAL system with a 50/60hz switch and a region selection switch and a new internal memory battery. So it sounds ideal. It looks a little rough mind you, but I'm sure it'll polish right up.

Are there any drawbacks to owning a PAL system, even if it is modded? Should I hold off for a Japanese or US system?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:57 am

theantmeister wrote:Are there any drawbacks to owning a PAL system, even if it is modded? Should I hold off for a Japanese or US system?
Nope, modded PAL system is fine. Got one myself.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 am

With it 50/60hz switch moded and region moded too, this is a sweet thing and you really should pick it up. The only drawback to PAL systems is if they arn't moded with at least the 50/60hz switch. Also the 50/60hz switch mod is quiet easy to do as well if anyone was wondering, the Saturn is a really easy system for modders.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't play my Saturn much, but did enjoy clockwork knight - any other good 2d or 2.5d platformers for the system? (apart from clockwork knight 2).

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:50 pm

^ I've got Bug and it's not great.
Then there's Rayman, Earthworm Jim 2, Pandemonium, Spot Goes To Hollywood (more isometric really) and of course Sonic Jam.

As I've said before, platformers aren't really the Saturn's strength.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:15 pm

speedlolita wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Are there any drawbacks to owning a PAL system, even if it is modded? Should I hold off for a Japanese or US system?
Nope, modded PAL system is fine. Got one myself.
Ditto here.Only one thing to remember is some PAL games were optimised and will have overly stretched graphics heightwise or run to fast or both in 60hz.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Yeah, but you can just grab the NTSC versions. >_>
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Best thing I ever did was get a switch fitted. Even if you're only playing PAL games.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 am

Picked up Gundam Side story Part 1 and 3 last week and they arrived at the weekend, the games are in the most amazing book format - really nice editions (JAP). If I think on I'll post some pictures

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 am

When I start collecting Saturn games, and I intend to at some point, it will be the US versions for me - I really like the long style plastic cases sort of like the one Street Fighter the Movie pal Saturn has (ish).

And is Psychic Killer Taromaru really worth this much? :o http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Psychic-Kille ... 256633be5b