Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 am

Cheers, I'll have to give burning rangers a try with the analogue pad.

Dug out my jap saturn for a few games. First up was kyu kyu tiger 2. I can't remember playing this before so gave it a go. It is stupid hard :) Graphics are a bit naff, music is excellent though. Moved on to detana twin bee delux. After playing twin bee in game room I thought I'd get a bit more out of this game but wasn't really in the mood. Finally tried strikers 1945 II. Being saving this for a rainy day, and its raining today :) This game is just great. I usually try to beat a target of 500,000 on the standard settings with a psykio game but managed it after a few goes with this. Scoring seems a bit more generous than the first strikers or gunbird.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:26 am

Got my Saturn collection out, Most games as you can see are PAL, with a smattering of Japanese ones.

Last edited by adippm82 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Panzer dragoon saga, radiant silvergun and a uk copy of deep fear, you have some really good games there.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Panzer dragoon saga, radiant silvergun and a uk copy of deep fear, you have some really good games there.
Good, or expensive?

Layer Section is better than RSG imo. :p
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:01 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Panzer dragoon saga, radiant silvergun and a uk copy of deep fear, you have some really good games there.
Good, or expensive?

BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:05 pm

speedlolita wrote:Good, or expensive?
Both :wink:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

RSG is still a fantastic game but I like the simplicity and graphics of Layer Section more.. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Good, or expensive?

I think they are all pretty good, I have played Layer Section more than RSG, because I am rubbish at the latter, Panzer Dragoon Saga, if it had been on PS1 would have sold a ton more than it did, and Deep Fear is very good as well, only really spoiled by the God awful voice acting.

Expensive, not at the time they were bought,Panzer Dragoon Saga, bought in Woolworths for £39.99, the only time I saw it in a shop ever, Radiant Silvergun cost £57.99 off e-bay, many moons ago, and Deep Fear in HMV for £9.99, when they were ditching their Saturn line at the time, I got Quake for £4.99 at the same time and House Of The Dead for £12.99.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:24 pm

not my whole saturn collection but here we go :) excuse the low quality pictures!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Awesome collection!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm

things i missed out include the box sets with 4 meg ram, virtua cop gun set and my consoles - standard white jap saturn and a derby stallion version (see through like the this is cool saturn).

cheers!

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:01 am

[quote="adippm82"]Got my Saturn collection out, Most games as you can see are PAL, with a smattering of Japanese ones.

You got a nice collection going there. I notice all the cases seem to be in minty mint condition too.

Thought i'd show my collection. But my pics dont include all the other bits and peices i got, ram carts, controllers, vertua stick etc

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:30 am

retrosofer wrote:
adippm82 wrote:Got my Saturn collection out, Most games as you can see are PAL, with a smattering of Japanese ones.
You got a nice collection going there. I notice all the cases seem to be in minty mint condition too.

Thought i'd show my collection. But my pics dont include all the other bits and peices i got, ram carts, controllers, vertua stick
etc
Excellent collection you have there, I really like the way you have them in sealed bags, mine are not on display, they are usually in a cupboard, and are not handled that much, hence the condition, the games I want to play are in a wallet by the console I have a virtual stick in the attic along with the steering wheel.

Oh and feel free to ignore my Corpse killer post earlier, I thought I was in the megadrive thread, should not post when tired.

HEAVYface, that is a serious Japanese collection you have there, the artwork is so much better than the crap they largely put on the front of the Pal ones.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 am

HEAVYface, that is a serious Japanese collection you have there, the artwork is so much better than the crap they largely put on the front of the Pal ones
yep i like the jap artwork too (same with most games). they always tend to stick some horrid render on western versions of games. i've got a soft spot for the pal boxes for some reason, even though they die easily.

i also liked the pal dreamcast cases too.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am

The later PAL boxes were really good, like Burning rangers etc had, the plastic cover and paper sleeve variety, mind you they listened to the criticism of the first boxes, and went a bit too far, they were devils to open when they were new.

I have Nightwarriors in an original box, and the manual is so thick it bent the disc, had to stand it under some weights for days to get it to work!
Last edited by adippm82 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.