Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

optimus

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by optimus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Fishsta wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:^ Me me me, I do, I do! Bloody love Athlete Kings, me - it's in my Saturn top 5 for definite.

eBay's as good a place as any to buy it I suppose, it is one of the cheaper Saturn games - you shouldn't pay much more than a fiver (not including P&P).
But is it the Jap version???

I'm going to BEG here... I mean really really PLEAD with you.

If it's the Jap version, can you possibly get images and video of the hidden athlete, Manchichi Kazami? His sounds are in the PAL version, but you CAN'T play as him, and I've begged the guys over at The Cutting Room Floor to look into it to see if he was removed or just disabled, and I've wanted for almost 20 years just to see him in action.

I'm desperate to see him, but never ever been able to, I've scoured the internet for years looking for him. It sounds kinda odd, I know, but I just NEED to see him.
Weird, I was literally discussing this with my brother the other day.
I too would like to see Kazami.

ATHLETE KINGS still remains my favourite athletics game. Nothing else has seemed to come close to matching it.
I still do the Karl Vein shout every now and then :lol:

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 am

Somebody Stop Meeeee!
ImageImage

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 am

I opted for the Saturn over the PS1 as I thought the name "Playstation" made it sound like a kids toy! I've managed to collect some decent games for it over the years and own some of the rarer titles. Panza Dragoon Saga (35 quid in Wollies), PD2 (the box of this one is in a terrible state but it only cost me 3 quid) Burning Rangers, Castlevania: SOTN etc.

I've also got a few of the games that were bundled with controllers like NiGHTS and Virtua Cop etc.

I had my machine "switched" so that I could play imports, mainly Xmen Vs Streetfighter which I own with the cart and I also own most of the other Capcom "cart" fighters too.

I still get chance these days to pick up the odd game in local shops. Cash Generater is a good place, but they also price them a litle high at times. Ultimate Mortal Kombat is in ther at the moment at 20 quid, but I aslo managed to pick up my Panza Dragoon Zwei in there for 3 quid, so it's always worth a visit.

Saturn games are getting harder to find here though.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:47 am

I have both JPN and PAL versions of Decathlete/Athlete Kings. For those who might be wondering which is better I'd say the pal version is.There are borders but it runs just as fast and the JPN version has occasional poly glitching which the PAL version doesn't suffer from.

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:59 pm

davyK wrote:I have both JPN and PAL versions of Decathlete/Athlete Kings. For those who might be wondering which is better I'd say the pal version is.There are borders but it runs just as fast and the JPN version has occasional poly glitching which the PAL version doesn't suffer from.
Recieved DecAthlete in the post this morning, did notice the poly glitching, will probably pic up Athlete Kings somewhere down the line, both versions are pretty cheap. :)
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

JefJansens

Post by JefJansens » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Fishsta wrote:
Mootown wrote:
I have it, and he is in the Jap one for sure. As far as I can remember he looks almost the same as the other young Japanese kid (chinese) just a bit more crazy and wacky in his poses etc

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PICTURES VIDEOS GIMME GIMME GIMME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Ahem, what I meant to say was:

I would consider it to be most satisfactory if you would kindly willingly donate a small portion of your most precious time to the ends of procuring a few photos of him in action and sharing them with me, and would indeed be forever grateful to your good self. Also, if there is any way one could also come into possession of a combination of audio and visual frames arranged in such a way that they are delivered together in the medium of cinematics, (a video, obv.) either by email or by youtube, I promise to love you forever, but not in any inappropriate way.

Please? :-)
Here are some images of Mankichi Kazami, the hidden character in DecAthlete.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:03 am

OMFG! Nothing like what I expected. Obviously I'd got the spelling slightly wrong, but I was close, just going off the sound test.

He looks awesome. I wonder why he was removed from the PAL version.

Is he superior to all the other characters? He looks like he might be based on a cartoon or Manga character of some sort.

Thank you very much, if anyone can provide a video that would be a massive bonus, but that alone is fantastic. What a first post for you to make on this forum, I'm so grateful.
ImageImage

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am

ImageImage

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Sadly making the decision to sell off my saturn collection and have had a few surprises in the Ebay pricing. Whilst I dont have a PDS to make a fortune on I was shocked to see £99 copy of Maximum Force selling. Never realised it had a value. Though this whole process is becoming heart breaking , it is for the best.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:40 pm

The PD series has easily become my favorite games series, shame Cimson Dragon is for kinnect 2.0 and Xbox One though, hope it goes multi format at some point.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 am

I now have both the UK and JPN versions of Decathlete/Athlete Kings... And I can't get Kazami to appear. I've unlocked his sounds in the sound test, so any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?
ImageImage

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 am

I'm completely out of the loop with the Saturn and I've just got one. Save me reading through hundreds of posts, can anyone give me around 10 essential, affordable titles worth getting? Everyone likes doing lists right? :D

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

Fishsta wrote:I now have both the UK and JPN versions of Decathlete/Athlete Kings... And I can't get Kazami to appear. I've unlocked his sounds in the sound test, so any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?
You need to hit a certain score in arcade mode, then I think you hold 'x' to select him. Something like that. He replaces one of the other characters.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am

Tried that. There must be something I'm missing somewhere.
Black Ridge wrote:I'm completely out of the loop with the Saturn and I've just got one. Save me reading through hundreds of posts, can anyone give me around 10 essential, affordable titles worth getting? Everyone likes doing lists right? :D
Athlete Kings (Of course)
Fighters Megamix
Virtual On
Sega Rally
Virtua Cop
Die Hard Arcade
World Series Baseball
ImageImage

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Fishsta wrote:Just got myself a Saturn now, fully boxed, amazing condition, with Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2, works perfectly, new battery put in, first thing's first I'll need to procure a memory card for it, but otherwise the only game I REALLY want is Athlete Kings.

Is ebay the way to go, or do any of you suggest elsewhere?

And does anyone here own a Japanese Saturn / Japanese "Decathlete" or Athlete Kings?
Congrats - Sega Rally on the Saturn is, in my honourable opinion, one of the finest video games ever created. The course designs are superb, but more importantly the handling of the cars has never been beaten - they just "feel" so right, and are challenging to controls even for veterans like myself.