Sega Saturn collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retrosofer

Re: Sega Saturn collecting thread

Post by retrosofer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 pm

ALK wrote:Quick question, do the Memory Carts ever run out of battery? I had an offical cart I brought from ebay that worked fine for months, but then all the data vanished (Or rather the Saturn could not detact the cart). I don't have a 2nd cart to test if its the Saturn.

Saving on the Saturn has been a right hassle for me. The cart slot on my first Saturn broke because I used one of those AR carts for imports and now this with my 2nd. -_-
The official save cart by Sega, and other third party ones use flash memory i believe, they dont use batteries in them, so saving games on them is the only way to go on the Saturn, and the safest way to. The battery inside the Saturn used for saves only lasts about a year, but honestly, it could last alot less than that.

I tend to leave my 4in1 cart perminantly in the Saturn as it does everything, so i'd advise getting the 4in1 cart and leaving it in there. You probably just need to clean the contacts on the cart and keep putting it in the slot till it works, i have to do this if i take my cart out, which is why its always left in.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 am

Just got myself a Saturn now, fully boxed, amazing condition, with Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2, works perfectly, new battery put in, first thing's first I'll need to procure a memory card for it, but otherwise the only game I REALLY want is Athlete Kings.

Is ebay the way to go, or do any of you suggest elsewhere?

And does anyone here own a Japanese Saturn / Japanese "Decathlete" or Athlete Kings?
ImageImage

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 am

^ Me me me, I do, I do! Bloody love Athlete Kings, me - it's in my Saturn top 5 for definite.

eBay's as good a place as any to buy it I suppose, it is one of the cheaper Saturn games - you shouldn't pay much more than a fiver (not including P&P).

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah, I've got Athlete Kings as well, always thought it was a much better game than Track & Field. :)

Luckily, back when I got my Saturn (back in 2005-ish) Gamestation were selling off loads of Saturn games dirt cheap at the time and I was able to build up quite a big collection of top titles for less than a fiver each (pretty sure XMen: Children Of The Atom only cost 98p!) and got most of the games I wanted fairly easily like Saturn Duke Nukem, Quake, Die Hard Arcade, etc. Ebay's pretty much your best bet now though, just be careful of some ridiculous prices for the harder to get hold of stuff as well :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Me me me, I do, I do! Bloody love Athlete Kings, me - it's in my Saturn top 5 for definite.

eBay's as good a place as any to buy it I suppose, it is one of the cheaper Saturn games - you shouldn't pay much more than a fiver (not including P&P).
But is it the Jap version???

I'm going to BEG here... I mean really really PLEAD with you.

If it's the Jap version, can you possibly get images and video of the hidden athlete, Manchichi Kazami? His sounds are in the PAL version, but you CAN'T play as him, and I've begged the guys over at The Cutting Room Floor to look into it to see if he was removed or just disabled, and I've wanted for almost 20 years just to see him in action.

I'm desperate to see him, but never ever been able to, I've scoured the internet for years looking for him. It sounds kinda odd, I know, but I just NEED to see him.
ImageImage

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:06 pm

^ Mine's bog-standard "crappy cardboard case" PAL.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:19 am

Does anyone own or have played Magical Knight Rayearth?

Have the chance to pick it up, and looks very good from videos.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 am

samhain81 wrote:Does anyone own or have played Magical Knight Rayearth?

Have the chance to pick it up, and looks very good from videos.
I got it. Pretty decent top down action RPG game, though I mostly brought it because I love the anime and manga so much.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:16 am

Fishsta wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:^ Me me me, I do, I do! Bloody love Athlete Kings, me - it's in my Saturn top 5 for definite.

But is it the Jap version???

I'm going to BEG here... I mean really really PLEAD with you.

If it's the Jap version, can you possibly get images and video of the hidden athlete, Manchichi Kazami? His sounds are in the PAL version, but you CAN'T play as him, and I've begged the guys over at The Cutting Room Floor to look into it to see if he was removed or just disabled, and I've wanted for almost 20 years just to see him in action.

I'm desperate to see him, but never ever been able to, I've scoured the internet for years looking for him. It sounds kinda odd, I know, but I just NEED to see him.
I have it, and he is in the Jap one for sure. As far as I can remember he looks almost the same as the other young Japanese kid (chinese) just a bit more crazy and wacky in his poses etc

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 am

Mootown wrote:
I have it, and he is in the Jap one for sure. As far as I can remember he looks almost the same as the other young Japanese kid (chinese) just a bit more crazy and wacky in his poses etc

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PICTURES VIDEOS GIMME GIMME GIMME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Ahem, what I meant to say was:

I would consider it to be most satisfactory if you would kindly willingly donate a small portion of your most precious time to the ends of procuring a few photos of him in action and sharing them with me, and would indeed be forever grateful to your good self. Also, if there is any way one could also come into possession of a combination of audio and visual frames arranged in such a way that they are delivered together in the medium of cinematics, (a video, obv.) either by email or by youtube, I promise to love you forever, but not in any inappropriate way.

Please? :-)
ImageImage

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 am

Fishsta wrote:
Mootown wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PICTURES VIDEOS GIMME GIMME GIMME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Ahem, what I meant to say was:

I would consider it to be most satisfactory if you would kindly willingly donate a small portion of your most precious time to the ends of procuring a few photos of him in action and sharing them with me, and would indeed be forever grateful to your good self. Also, if there is any way one could also come into possession of a combination of audio and visual frames arranged in such a way that they are delivered together in the medium of cinematics, (a video, obv.) either by email or by youtube, I promise to love you forever, but not in any inappropriate way.

I love how much you want to see him, it's funny I tried googling it and there is literally nothing on the net. Very weird. I think you need a certain score before you can use him, so I;ll have to play it again...

Please? :-)

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 am

Mootown wrote:
I love how much you want to see him, it's funny I tried googling it and there is literally nothing on the net. Very weird. I think you need a certain score before you can use him, so I;ll have to play it again...

If I recall, it's 8,000 points in Decathlon mode, then hold X when selecting a character for the next round. In the PAL version, you just end up selecting the character you had selected, but if you go into the sound test, you'll find the numbers suddenly go higher than they used to, and the hidden athlete's introduction and vocals are available to listen to. So part of him still "exists"... you just can't see him.

Playing such a great game really shouldn't need an excuse lol.
ImageImage

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

Fishsta wrote:
Mootown wrote:

If I recall, it's 8,000 points in Decathlon mode, then hold X when selecting a character for the next round. In the PAL version, you just end up selecting the character you had selected, but if you go into the sound test, you'll find the numbers suddenly go higher than they used to, and the hidden athlete's introduction and vocals are available to listen to. So part of him still "exists"... you just can't see him.

Is there an action replay code that allows you to play as him maybe?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am

Fishsta wrote:
Mootown wrote:

I'll do it mate, when I have a moment, I can still remember how to do all the events

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 pm

8,000 points? Piece of cake - I can do 12,000 almost without trying.